Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Skiwan

Davidskiwan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, I'm a old time lurker round these parts. Always loved the community and often come here to gasp in awe at the work produced and revel in the productivity in the community.

I used to do a lot of digital art a few years back but unfortunately RL, and full time job and such had cruelly taken me away from it :(. For 4 years i've done very little (picked up oil painting, but thats about it) Now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, and hopefully improve to the point of employability, if that's a word!

So on with the show and all that, here's some stuff to get the ball rolling, these 2 are just quick pose/clothing studies, between 30-90 seconds each;

practice-4.jpg
practice-7.jpg

I'm putting emphasis on speed at the moment, trying to get the basics down and do as many studies as i can, ship is about 30mins, the faces are between 30-40 mins each;
ship-study-25.jpg

face-studies.jpg

Longer Study here, done in corel painter about 3-4 hours;

studyyy.jpg

3d sketch study in Zbrush, it's meant to be Earnest Hemmingway, but the likeness isn't really there, about 1hr 30 mins;

ernest.jpg

Some landscape concept practices, ranging between 1.5 hours and 3 hours;
practice-worlds.jpg
scifiworld.jpg

I was thinking about joining the Escape competition but I don't think I'm ready just yet, I drew up some thumbs of some ideas, also played around with one concept, never finished it though;
the-escape-thumbs-together.jpg
escape-1---ships.jpg

I'm going to do my best to update this thread with my work and be more active around here. This is a solid community, and I hope you don't mind having me!

Replies

• Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And incase anyone's interested, here's some oil paintings I've done the past year or so, still getting use to oil, but it's tons of fun! all from reference;

sargent-study.jpg
    grace.jpg
    old-chap.jpg
    kneeling-lady.jpg
    scary-guy.jpg
    luke-oils.jpg
    luxury.jpg
    vunerability.jpg
    reluctance.jpg
  • selvesteHE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lot's of cool stuff in here man ! Your traditional stuff is lovely, and im digging the orange desert environment on the top right. Keep posting !
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, thats my favourite too! to be fair I really need to do more environment stuff, It's something I really need to improve on. That being said some speed paints below of environment studies;

landscapestudies2.jpg
    landscapestudies.jpg

Bit of animal anatomy;
    animal-anatomy-1.jpg

Lighting studies, 90 secs each;
    light-studies.jpg

And here's a project I'm gonna be working on, some concepts for an elf that will be riding a dinosaur which I will take through concepting to 3d modelling, 2 different angles on the concept, one high dress battle armour, one more woodsy elf... Im not sure which I prefer, might go for a mix between the two, some opinions and crits would be very gratefully received! ;
    elfconcept2.jpg
    elfconcept1.jpg

And here's some ideas of what she'll be riding on... I don't want your standard dinosaur, something a bit more birdlike I think! I'm not sure at the moment, but any preferences are welcome;
    dinosaur-thumbs.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if I can still call this a dinosaur, everyone seems to think it's more bird like D: gonna have to learn some bird anatomy if I'm gonna model this, haven't a clue how i'll manage XD

dinoconcept.jpg
  • OXGears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting close to lookin like a badass version of a chocobo. chocobo.JPG
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, I can't believe how similar they are, well im going to change the design a bit anyway, did a bit of wing anatomy study since i did the last one, so im gonna change it round a bit, make him a bit more agile and raptor looking... I was planning on having him run around on his arms and the wings be in place of his legs but i can't get it looking right from different angles :(... in the mean time I've done a few speed paints of ideas for the kind of habitat this guy will be from, not sure which i like yet just trying to get a mood for a final concept piece;

habitat-3.jpg
    habitat-1.jpg
    habitat-2.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on a base mesh for zbrush, credit to scott eaton's female base model which as i used as a reference for some loops. But i have built it from scratch, any crits more than welcome!

male-basemesh.jpg

Here's something I had some fun with in photoshop D: i had a play and came up with some brushes for ink and chalk, threw some paper textures behind it and tried to come up with a traditional drawing feel! if anyone has any tips to make it look more traditional I'd be grateful

mount-design-fun.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finalised the concept of the elf, and i'm going to do a lil painting of a scene, though i can't decide which to go with yet, any opinions people have would be welcomed!

scenethumb2.jpg
    scenethumb1.jpg

elf-reference.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, been busy recently but trying to get as much done when i get free time. Now have a new spangley portfolio :ohttp://www.davidrjones.net

and some recent work;

flight-suit2.jpg
    scifi-env.jpg
    photo.jpg
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Really really like your oil paintings, especially the second one of the naked chick (not because she's naked :)) - Your colour usage is great, and it's obvious you have a keen eye for light, shadow, form and anatomy. I also like how they're not overworked.. great stuff
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, glad you like em, personally I find it really hard to find color palettes I like!

It's been a while since the last update, but I'm about to embark on a challenge of producing....

30 VEHICLE DESIGNS IN 30 DAYS.

In-fact I am already on day 3 :x Some designs I will spend hours on (like the first one shown), some I will only have 20-30 mins on them, depending on how busy I am! I'm going to try and cover as many different mediums/styles as I can, and try to make use of different types of perspective/orthographic views where possible. As I don't have much experience doing hard surface designs I want to use this as a training exercise more than anything else, I've been watching lots of Scott Robertson workshops on youtube and I'm eagerly awaiting his book!

Because I want to cover a wide array of subjects, not necessarily those I am drawn to myself, I am asking friends and people online to give me a simple 3 category brief, if you have any suggestions it's simple the categories are as follows;

Type - Type of vehicle e.g. Plane, Lawn Mower, Motorbike, mine cart etc.)
    Purpose - Purpose for the vehicle e.g. to find water, to search for new life/civilisations... travel through time, cut grass etc.
    Style - Style of the Vehicle eg. Egyptian, Futuristic,medieval, art deco etc...

And I take those 3 words, do a little research and do my best to design something, then throw it to you guys to rip it apart and give me some crits/recommendations etc

So without further ado, here is where I'm at at the moment;

Day 1 - This was tons of fun and gave me the idea for the project, the brief was from myself and pretty standard, but i guess you have to start with what you know!

30vehicles-day1-present.jpg

Day 2 - Was done at work during my lunch break in a little hand sketchbook I have. I think the size is A6? brief came from 3 colleagues at work.

30vehicles-day2.jpg

Day 3 - Another quickie in my little sketchbook, I have some truely shocking pretend copic markers and this is one of my first attempts at using them, needless to say I need to get some proper ones!

30vehicles-day3.jpg

So if you have any ideas or crits, let me know, would really appreciate it!
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all, just a quick update on this vehicle thing, check out my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DRJ30in30

30vehicles-day4.jpg
    30vehicles-day5.jpg
    30vehicles-day6.jpg
    30vehicles-day7.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted in a while, had a lot on recently so haven't had time, a little wip of what im currently working on;

dragon-wip.jpg~original
  • jacksteel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works looking great, keep it up