Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Hand Painted Chest

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
Hello PC! I've been trying to learn hand painted texturing. I have had a few fail starts in the past, so any hints, tips or bitch slaps are welcome. Very Work in Progress

Made the base mesh in Max and sculpted it in Mudbox.

Ak2jyUH.jpg

Baked down the AO/normal map and have the lowpoly at 985 tris. Was shooting for 750-1000. Base colored and started painting in Mudbox and Photoshop. Shown with Xouli shader.

V0QTwKf.jpg

Just a 1024 diffuse right now, but planning on it being 512. Very Work in progress.

y3cydYh.jpg

Comments crits welcome, but otherwise I will keep working. Thanks for looking.

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I dig it, but it feels like you over worked the metal a bit. especially with the really deep gouges. I'd like to see them reduced in number and depth and leave most of it to the texture in the form of scratches and scuffs etc.
    Some more tones and color would help the overall feeling of the piece as well.
    Anyway, looking good. Keep it up.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress
    hqmvbvi.jpg

T58BoIc.jpg

Thanks you, Grimm_Wrecking. I did overdo the metal scratches a bit. I will try to make the scratches look less deep with the diffuse. Hopefully the overall coloring is better.

I will keep going, crits and comments welcome. Thank you for looking.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    the base sculpt looks great but I think the texture needs more work.
    a few suggestions:

If you're going to go with a diffuse only texture you need to get some directional lighting in the texture. The metal needs more highlights and shadows. At the moment it just looks like a dull plastic.

Make the bolts a different value so they stand out more.

The wood should be darker/ more saturated IMO, it would suit the color scheme better. And maybe add some wood patterns.

Something like this would be good, but that's just my opinion :)

treasure_chest_1_large.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments, Komaokc. Very nice work on your chest! I will be using the normal, not sure why I posted flat lighting. Still working on the textures, I think I need to start over on the wood. Hopefully the metal is looking less like plastic.

Progress

9RtnEPc.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    I know its in the sculpt already but I think the wear and tear on the metal is a bit to much its making it very noisy (less is more philosphy) and those cuts are very deep in some places which generally would not happen to metal like that.

In regards to the texture its a great start just keep pushing the highlights & shadows in certain key areas's (the top of the chest is looking quite flat). It is looking a bit plastic at the moment but i'm sure you will sort that out soon enough.

Keep up the good work =).
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully this looks less like plasticy and better highlights

oETUYAf.jpg
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    The scratches implemented on the chest needs more reasoning. It seems as if it was just patterned all over the place. More scratches/damages should be in the edges and corners but not often in the middle unless it's come in contact with another object at that specific area. It'll give the prop more believability?
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking like I need to throw this away and restart the sculpt. K
  • Neonexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you need to restart the sculpt, it shouldn't be difficult to go back to it and get rid of some of those notches. Alternatively, depending on how your normal map looks you could just edit that to get rid of the deep cuts.

The texture is really coming along nicely!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, between life and work, here is finally the redo sculpt.

b5PT9KL.jpg

The tri count rose a little to 1044

IUJmjou.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    I think you should take a better look at the tutorial. I mean your close but missing the important bits .
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are talking about the 3d motive one, I didn't watch it.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Well maybe you should, because its damn close on what you are trying.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I doing so bad that I need to go back to tutorials?