Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battle-Demon

Just a high-poly of the character I've been working on for the past week and a half. Tryin to fulfill that dream of one day being a character modeler.
battle-demon_zps49c9c2e3.jpg

Replies

• Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing. Really good. If I had to suggest anything, I would say add some assymetry. Maybe a shoulder guard on one side, or just something to break it up a bit. Otherwise, no critiques.
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some weapons for him now
    battle-demon-machinegun_zps662eadde.jpg
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made another weapon for this guy
    battle-demon-machinegun-rocketlauncher_zps41c4eb28.jpg
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    projection done, now to texture.
    demonprojected_zps768242f9.jpg
    demonwires_zpsc938808a.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    this looks really cool and I quite like the bakes. Quite curious to see how you layed out your uvs. Ist the model broken up different meshes per map or just one big one? Why aren't people commenting on this? Anyway looking forward to seeing the textures.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great dude.Nice hard surface skills as well as organic.This looks like its going to be a real solid piece.Just gotta wait to see what you do with the texture
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back guy. My work rarely gets any responses for some reason. Anyways I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with his body paint,and could use some suggestions.
    screenshot2_zps7e6f7e02.jpg~original
    this is what I have so far
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I like the originality of the character.

The thing that sticks out in my mind the most is the anatomy of the lower set of arms. I know it is "make believe," but it does have human-like anatomy. The origins of the biceps, triceps, deltoids, and coracobrachialis would insinuate that a second clavicle and other boney landmarks exist inside the torso. How do this guy's lats attach (insert) for example (to the humerus of both arms)??

As an example, search for an image of Kali from the Sinbad movie (stop motion animation by Ray Harryhausen--RIP). Shiva's multiple arms all attach in the same shoulder vicinity (i.e. only one clavicle, scapula, etc.). See [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhNmVMjxe4Y"]Kali Scene - Golden Voyage of Sinbad - YouTube[/ame] for a clip from the movie. The stacked arms just appear weird anatomically, but that is just my take.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    I could see this dude being in Gears of War.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey man, your sculpt is really good. but your AO is killing your low poly, use it as the basis for a gradient rather than just overlaying it directly, you'll get a much nicer result.
  • Farva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grats on getting your work on the recap, I don't see you having any trouble achieving your dream. Nice work and good luck!
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress on the texturing, I've been sick so its going pretty slowly. Its pretty awesome to see this guy get some attention. and I love hearing whatever advice people have.
    screenshot6_zpse917e62a.jpg
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some final renders, let me know what you think.
    battledemonF_zps070446e5.jpg
    battledemonB_zps65a65504.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's very bland...

the entire thing just looks brown, and that's not good. you need to get some kind of contrasting colours in there just to break it up and make it visually interesting.

also, the quality difference in the organic vs hard surface textures is noticeable. it's almost as if you used a certain plugin for the hard surface and had to do the organic by hand? i wouldn't call this a finished piece until the texture quality is unified.
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Lol, he looks OP. He has so many big weapons for any situation it seems. I would not like to fight him in a game :p Besides that, I think he looks awesome. I do agree with almighty_gir though, he needs some more color.
  • kurthectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a couple of changes that I think helped
    battledemonF2_zps7686a5c1.jpg
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man I really like this model great weapons and monster but man I don't see any chances from the last pics the only thing I see is a bit more red on the weapons.

Maybe put more color in the skin like blue,green,purple and so on, maybe try to get some sss in the skin so it would look more alive. Would love to see maybe another light set up on the character also.

Please fix the foot also add some tris and smooth it out for this ain't looking good.
    NLXNZtQ.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Modelling-wise you've done a very good job but as Gir says the rest could be pushed a lot more. It's not about detailing and all that fancy stuff but color and value. Right now the contrast is more or less even across the character which takes attention away from his face which pretty much is what's going to sell the character. I tend to look more at the huge gun at the moment.
    I'd also suggest you to give him really high tight specularity at the tongue since naturally that area is wet, same goes for teeth and the flesh around it. Will help with the contrast or at least make him more unpleasant.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Agreeing with what the others have said, would be nice to see some more difference in contrast from the materials and objects.

One thing I did here was darken the base, also I added color to the skin, some fake sss and a strong light from the side, also I brightened the whole image.
    Use a better jpeg compression next time, it's pretty horrible atm.

Paintover:
    r8UPGgd.jpg

Great work on the modeling, those weapons are awesome :D