Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Server door

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ohnickmoy polycounter lvl 7
Hello All!

After a nice week at GDC, got inspired to do some work from Metal Gear Solid 4. I ran through some of the art books and came across the server room. If you recall, this the room that snake comes across from after he gets microwaved to oblivion.

Concept:
xAh7bN5.png

Planning:
t4rDwBc.png

Alas, finding good shots are tough, and all I have to work from are screencaps from you tube:

lRM9ZhE.jpg
Q1wg1Or.jpg

If you find any good high res shots, that be great!

Initial block out
aNlAy7n.jpg

I'll keep you guys posted. Feedback is always welcome

Also, to those who went to the party, it was nice to meet some of you.

Replies

• ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all. Working on my thesis defense on top of this thing and looking for a job, so I've been super busy.

Anyway, here are the current state of things.
    YMzXKWO.png

Broke up the parts to be modular.

Some samples
    Z4oncre.png

nhw6Xwy.png

One thing I am having trouble though is baking normals. Most of the edges are hard edges at 90 degree angles. Even when unwrapping and splitting the edges to give them enough padding, I still get a harsh line

jQFt9BK.png

like so,

in comparison to the high poly

IytUiZC.png

Any suggestions on what to play around in settings and what to experiment on? Thanks!
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update on the state of things. In the process of trying to find work! Anyway, started texturing the door and walls. Feedback would be nice!

AdVhiEd.png

VEJKKsw.png

dKQPJFf.png

Also, anyone have any advice on lighting scenes? Having trouble with 3Point and Xioliul cause things just tend to get blown out, so I just use the max render or unreal.
  • ARCallejas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARCallejas polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good! I'm excited to see more texturing :D
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck with the thesis and the job finding.

This looks really great!

T.
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prepare for a giant image dump!

First complete pass. Feedback welcome! Rendered in 3DS Max

pRQ0ZX1.jpg
    QlxVEgn.jpg
    FUXMllR.jpg

I also gave it a shot in Unreal to see if it would yield better results. However, some things happened.

AxQUKNN.jpg

If you notice, on the walls, they obviously do not tile. I'm not sure if it's in the texture or the normals.

0HkWoxy.jpg

This is it without textures, but detailed lighting. A normal problem, perhaps?

oikpp8h.png

Also, what's with unreal giving weird artifacts in my shadows?

Gmha7IH.jpg

If anyone can point me to some resources to read or suggestions, that'd be great! Again, feedback is always welcome :)
  • lishaleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lishaleston polycounter lvl 8
    Did you do the unique UVs thing? You might have to generate a separate lightmap in channel 2 if you haven't already.
  • ARCallejas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARCallejas polycounter lvl 10
    The weird artifacting in the last shot looks like it might be from a Light Map that is too small. I believe the default is 32, you should try bumping it up to like 512 for something of this size.
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some post process things and renders in marmoset. Enjoy!

04RE5IC.jpg
    8Xh5Ypd.jpg
    6SNSlef.jpg
    BalTPVi.png
    qD8dGNT.jpg
  • nksilver5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    As a fan of MGS, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D !

Really dig the " metal gear texture style " of the metal if I can say so, you nailed it !

Althought, personal opinion, the cables on the sides look too "small". I guess it's because they are tiny and a lot of them.

Would give a more " huge power source " with 2/3 big cables instead.

But hey, it's just what I think ^^

Keep up the good work mate !
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did you do the separate pieces on the door?
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model them from separate planes and pieces? Your question is kinda unclear.

03hVfjg.png
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was kinda vague, just looking for your method on how you modeled it. Just multiple primitive, start as plane, extrusions and cuts so on
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a crude diagram lol

3K3pQvf.png

If you see one of the earlier posts I blocked it out from a plane and a cylinder. After the block out, I started from the cylinder and worked from the inside out. The roundness of the side pieces, or surrounding bracket, or whatever you want to call it (marked on red), is dependent on the center cylinder.

The parts marked in blue were cubes that were rotated on 45 degree angles and merged together in the block out. Eventually that shape and the side pieces were merged together and I made the appropriate cuts.

Finally, the part marked in orange were cut out from what I usually do with circles in general.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKtncTvmQJc"]Cutting circular holes into polygon meshes while maintaining good topology - YouTube[/ame]

This video kinda explains it.

Align the verts on the plane from a cylinder and cut out the appropriate hole. Mind you this is a PAIN for control edges when high polying, but what I do these days is take things into ZBrush, re-dynamesh and not worry about control edges.

Finally, the parts marked in green is pretty self explanatory. They're just in the back. Hope this explains it!
  • ohnickmoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I did some optimization out of habit, so you might notice in the model there isn't the best edge flow conducive to control edges for a high poly, but I didn't go overboard . So yeah, primitives, cut outs and extrusions!