Old (#1)
Hi and welcome to my workshop thread.I hope you like what you see, if you do please vote for the item! If not please tell me how I can improve. This page will only have my accepted and most recently submitted items due to the image limit, so please check out my workshop page for the rest!

Accepted Items:

Submitted Sets and Collections:

Submitted Items:

Last edited by MdK; 05-09-2014 at 05:20 AM..
Offline , polycounter, 761 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#2)
Hi everyone, this will be my first real post here on Polycount. I have been lurking around the forums for a few years now and from looking at all the amazing work that goes on here, I have decided it's finally time for me to start creating some game content! I figured Dota 2 was as good a place to start as any so I've got going today with some concepts for a Drow Ranger bow.

I would love any feedback you guys are able to give and please, don't hold back, I can take criticism.

I decided to go with the Thornwood bow as I felt this one made the most sense within the Drow Rangers story. Here is the base mesh, I can't help but feel I am going wrong somewhere, This is my first real attempt at modelling for games, my previous background has always been high poly modelling so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by MdK; 04-15-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old (#3)
My first sculpting drafts, I really like how the vines on the handle wrap around the thorns. Something I hadn't thought about in my original design.

Old (#4)
Well I think I am happy with the model/texture now. Let me know what you guys think

The one final issue with it is that the death animation does not work correctly, I can't work out how to fix it for the life of me.

Old (#5)
Sorry I can't help with the technical problems. Your bow looks good in game.
Offline , vertex, 36 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#6)
Knocked up a base mesh for an Anti-Mage head slot. Definitely not sure about the hair at the moment but I'm liking the basic shape of the mask.

Old (#7)
I've decided to scrap the hair and focus on the mask, so here is a sculpt I have been working on. I feel it may be a bit futuristic for the Anti-Mage but I'm going to see it through anyway as I like the way it's turning out so far.

As always, I would love some feedback!

Last edited by MdK; 04-16-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old (#8)
The detail on your bow is pretty minimal, but it looks good in game cause of the big silhouette. Your making antimage a mask?
Offline , spline, 113 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Vancouver, B.C  

Old (#9)
Thanks for the input on the bow! Yes I am currently, although I'm thinking maybe I might transfer it to a different character. I'm not sure who though. Here is what it looks like right now (obviously the textures need a lot of work):

Last edited by MdK; 04-16-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old (#10)
Darken the edges a bit and give the mask a bit more contrast so it read better, for the rest it looks pretty good. Maybe use a lighter pruple as well so the eyes pop out more.

You can also detail the eye part a bit so from up close it doesn't look like it's just one part and he can't see through it.
Offline , polygon, 623 Posts, Join Date Jul 2012,  

Old (#11)
Hey Andy, thanks for the input. I actually put it on the workshop after I had done a bit more work to it and it pretty much got panned so I took it down again, it's understandable considering I really tried to rush it out. Lesson learned I guess :P. I'm considering revising it for a different character, maybe windrunner or phantom assassin, although it's really not very visible in-game anyway.

Old (#12)
I've shelved the mask for the time being and have started work on sculpting a new shield for Dragon Knight:

Old (#13)
Finished up the shield

Old (#14)
looks pretty good. I already want this shield in the game; good luck)
17 years old guy who doing stuff for dota 2. 14 months as a 3d artist.
Offline , triangle, 299 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013, Location Magnitogorsk Send a message via ICQ to Nikey Send a message via Skype™ to Nikey  

Old (#15)
Hey dudes, I have been working on a concept for some Riki horns, would love some opinions/ critique!

Last edited by MdK; 04-26-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old (#16)
Horns are finished!

Old (#17)
Looks very natural!
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,529 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Germany  

Old (#18)
Thanks Spudnik, I'm still thinking they are a bit boring to be honest, not sure how to improve them.

Old (#19)
YO horns look great man !! Seriously !!

Thing about rikis horns - ive did a set for riki - is that while they seem simple, the design element only shines through subtle enchancements.

Example -

having the horns not so straight but rather curve outwards towards his shoulder pads even if they are straight and not windy like his current ones.

ALso the leather bands on them are I feel are too far back, they should be closer to the front of his head to exentuate them... you could also put a gold motif on the front like a little satyr head or something that would ping a little and

draw the eye to them.

But only a smidge since you dont want to detract from the rest of him.

Hope that helps - otherwise enjoy your art !!

Looks amazing bro very talented !
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date Jan 2013,  

Old (#20)
That shield looks pretty cool,it fits him well.
Offline , spline, 109 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#21)
deadl3ss: Thanks! Coming from the creator of the Shinobi set, that means a lot. I will give it another go with more detail on the leather bands and try to move them forward a bit, thanks very much for the advice.

DoubleLeaf: Thanks very much mate!

Old (#22)

Ok, really can't decide whether I like the mask or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this? (If I went with the mask it would definitely need some texture work.)

Might make this into a set eventually.

Last edited by MdK; 05-14-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old (#23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdK View Post

Ok, really can't decide whether I like the mask or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this? (If I went with the mask it would definitely need some texture work.)

Might make this into a set eventually.
Left one, you're covering lots of stuff already i think showing his face is better.
Offline , polycounter, 794 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#24)
Thanks for the advice Vlad, I think I was leaning towards the left one too as well. I've submitted it as is and will probably work on a set for it now.

Considering I only made this hood as a way to integrate that old Antimage mask I guess that poor mask will never get used!

Old (#25)
Finally got around to doing my block out, not sure I am going to get it done for the end of the month though