Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - World of Books - Deciduo

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GarfSnacks polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone! So I'm team Deciduo :)
Unfortunately the rest of my team had to drop our project, so I'm going to go ahead and do my own thing. It took me awhile to come up with what I wanted to do.

Rather than trying to have my scene be about escaping from someone or something, I want it to be about escaping from reality and into a fantasy world! My idea has been heavily influenced by "The Pagemaster" (an amazing movie) and TearAway the game.

The scene will take place on a table where a castle is coming to life out of an open book. A festival is taking place within the castle/manor so colorful banners, flags, will decorate the scene. It may be hard to pull of since I wasn't planning on making people for the scene.

I concepted my idea in Maya, here is what I have so far. I'm not sure yet whether I want to have the background fade into the fantasy world, or just have a background of a library blurred out with DOF.
I was going to attempt a semi-realistic style for this project.

Let me know what you all think! Comments and critiques are welcome!

[IMG][/img]Mockup_zps7c3215ca.png

Replies

• GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I went ahead and made a quick concept of what I had in mind. I found some reference photo's and tweaked them to fit my scene. I definitely want it to be very vivid and colorful, I also want some of the text and paper from the book to bleed into the scene so that it looks as if the scene is being built from the book itself.

Concept_zpsa43f80f0.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I just inked out a very similar idea for my entry last night. Back to the drawing board for my scene comp, methinks.

I really like the word blending idea.

For background and flair, why not add some magic-y sparkles and wooshes to emphasize the castle popping out? As it is, the castle is kind of resting on the book and could use a little action.
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've fleshed out the concept abit more now. All the banners and flags pushed me more towards incorporating tall ships into the design. So the back story is that the castle was created for a wealthy merchant who always had a passion and love for tall-ships, but was never able to gain his sea legs preventing him from being able to captain his own vessel.

The exterior of the castle will be more rough and made of stone, mostly for defensive reasons, the interior will incorporate more intricate and detailed wood carvings. To help shield the interior section of the castle, "sails" can be extended from the tops of the defensive towers and above most of the buildings windows as well.

Art-Bible_zpsa1cdcc5d.png

4-8-13_Tower_HighPoly_zpsdfa41d3e.png

4-8-13_Facade_Mockup_zps44a2f072.png
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, soo a few things came up during April so I have'nt been able to work on this project at all since I last posted. So I started working on this again last night, and I'm hoping i'll be able to finish by the deadline XD we'll see!
    I started blocking out the forms for the cliff and I changed some of the design for the castle to create a focal point leading the viewer to the captains balcony.

I'm also trying to determine how towers to incorporate in the design without cluttering the scene.
    5-1-2013-Composition_Shots_zpsceefeea7.jpg

I added some giant sails strung from tower to tower to help shade the courtyard area during high noon. This led me to thinking about what I wanted to do for the lighting.

My first thought was having a desk lamp provide the lighting, however if I chose this, I thought it would detract from the scene too much.
    5-1-2013-Composition_Shots2_zps7fe438d7.jpg

I thought about having a window provide the lighting, which I also thought would be interesting since the window is providing the light for the book, while the book itself is a window into another world. Yea that's right, I just BLEW your mind. lol
    5-1-2013-Composition_Shots3_zpsbce514bc.jpg

If I have enough time, I'm going to attempt to create stylized texturees

What do you guys think?
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I have a big update with Alot of new content. I've been working hard so that I have a chance of finishing the porject before the deadline!

I've started texturing some of the models to get a better feel for how the colors, composition, and LOD( texture wise) will show up in my final screenshot.

I do apologize for the low quality screenshots, I'll post some higher resolution shots tomorrow.

As of now,I have only baked one highpoly model down. ( which I had to sculpt In Maya with a Mouse :poly142: I currently don't have access to Zbrush or Mudbox. So it's a VERY rough high poly model. If I have time, I'm certainly going to go back and fix it.

5-1-2013-RockHighLow_zps78555c27.jpg

5-3-2013-ModelingandTexturing_zps9ece9ced.jpg

Most of the normal maps I have either generated from the textures themselves or creeated from scratch. I'm trying to leave most of the heavy loads to the materials and shaders.

Vertex painting made blending the book with the scene much easier! Still a WIP.
    5-4-2013-MeshPaint_zpse691e5d5.jpg

5-5-2013-Content_zps34b2bb2b.jpg

5-5-2013-UDK_zps5ce94c56.jpg
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates

- Added Post Processing Effect ( DOF, Color Correction)
    - Added Hanging Flags
    - Improved Multiple Materials

5-6-2013_zps07f5d396.jpg
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I originally created a 600 poly plane, took it into UDK, and was going to vertex paint the height using world position offest, however I ran into some issues when baking lighting. When baking lighting, the world position offset was not being taken into account, so assets covering the offset vertices original positions were creating shadows.

Capture_zps33be70de.jpg

So I decided to just recreate the book top in Maya, and it's working out just as well.

-updated render
    5-7-2013_zps7bd8b5d4.png
  • jiina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I really like this idea :)
  • Xeroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very unique idea!! Love how the writing rolls accross the rocks!
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'm really glad you like it :)

- So I changed the DOF to Bokeh, which definitely gives the scene the proper feeling of scale and depth now. ( However where the field is focused on in the screenshot is not quite right atm)
    - I've added some individual pages to the book so that it's not quite as flat

- A festival is not very festive without tents!!
    - I decided to incorporate the logo/sponsors into a bookmark in the scene so that you don't loose the immersive effect rather than just sticking the logo in one of the corners of the picture. Don't worry Polycount, I'll make sure the sponsors and logo are clear enough to read :poly121:

- Fiddled around with post-process to create a warmer tint for the scene.
    - Changed the coat of arms for the hanging flags. Lets just say "winter is coming" along with all of his friends :)

Let me know what you guys think!

5-8-2013-Bokeh2_zps5e502ab6.png
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love how the written words slither their way up and blend into the model. :thumbup:

For some reason it reminds me of the Game of Thrones opening :poly121:
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This last screenshot is looking great. If only your output was higher resolution :)

I want to zoom in and I cant :P

They way you changed the book texture morphing into rock using stratas-like writing really works.
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you guys like it! Originally I wanted all of the text to flow in the same direction, but I wasn't quite sure how to work that out with the material editor, but it seems to have worked out anyway :)

- Added some dust to the air, it's a very dirty room.
    - Gave the books their leather covers
    - A bit more various material work.

Here are some tech shots of my scene ( wireframe, vertex colors, lighting only, and texture density)

5-9-2013-Progress_zpsc44f089f.jpg~original

aaand here is my current render :) How's this ParoXum?

5-9-2013-GodRays_zps7e0ef84d.jpg~original
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomorrow I'll post up the changes that I've made,technically I mean today, but after i get some sleep, but I wanted to at least get a new wip image up!

5-10-2013_zps40aaf0c4.jpg~original
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I like the idea and its coming along very nice.

- i would put some more effort in the table texture - looks very low
    - the book on the foreground looks nice, the background "books" looking very lowpoly. (cant see the separate pages for example )
    and there is no texture or some letters on the backside. (like in the foreground book)
    - maybe tweak the light a bit more, i think some nice dust particle-effects could be nice.
    - the castle position is in the middle section but the light is more focused on the stones - is this your purpose ?
    - Personally - i would get rid of the escape signs and add some more books and old papers, candles, - put the escape node on one of the books back (in golden letters)

Just my 2 cents, overall looks nice - good luck with it.
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alphavader, those are some really good points!

I've gone ahead and changed the lighting, it's not quite right yet, but it's definitely brightened up the castle now. The dust particles also still need some work. I'm going to try and make a prop or two to add to the table, but because of my time constraints, I may unfortunately not get to them. :/

5-11-2013_zps03505711.jpg~original

The book in the left hand corner is grabbing too much attention so I'll need to fix that tomorrow, also the title is un-readable.
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    The change in lighting is defiantly an improvement & your right about the book on the right being distracting.

I adding a few more lights around the central courtyard area would really help too, as well as using a few lights around the towers to just ping some highlights. I used a few level adjustments layers in Photoshop to illustrate what I mean:

pc_deciduo_01.jpg

Keep on truckin', its really coming together!
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Super sweet entry, a really nice idea. I agree with the above, if you can push the lighting that little bit further you'll have it nailed. Plus a little stronger lighting around the castle itself could lend itself to a dramatic close up for a second beauty shot.
  • JessCooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic! With the lighting though I think your most recent render looks great and you don't need to push it any further although I do agree with making that book title in the back stand out less. Maybe find some reference images you could use to help you. I really like the warmth in the image but just be careful not to push it too far or else things will be on fire! *bad joke sorry*
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for the great feedback and comments! :D Here are the final renders for my scene. I took alittle more time to work on the escape logo this morning, just to make it blend easier with the image.

I definitely do plan on continuing work for this peice. I might possibly add 2d cards of people to add to the scene, I think it'll add some more interest and excitement to the festival going on.

Final_Render01_zps7a9bdf09.jpg~original

Final_Render02_zpsfb5691e2.jpg~original

Final_Render03_zps70301c31.jpg~original
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea and looks beautiful
    Congrats and good luck
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really like this idea, and it turned out nice as well!
  • loading_screen
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Just as everyone said, great concept. Real nice work, well done.
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you so much everyone! I'm really glad you all like it :)