Old (#1)
Although I don't work there as of a couple months ago, I wanted to bring attention to the recent layoffs at Highmoon Studios (Activision). I owe alot of the stuff I've learned to some of the artists at that studio and this news breaks my heart. I was there for 3 years and I met some of the best and most talented people I think I will ever meet.

I really really hope that every single one of the people laid off today will find something good and stable.

http://kotaku.com/activision-lays-of...team-466330803
Environment Artist at 343 Industries

Portfolio Site

Modeling Reel 2013

Blog
Offline , polycounter, 958 Posts, Join Date May 2007, Location Los Angeles, CA  

Old (#2)
Damn, so they were let go after content lock? That really sucks. Good luck to those affected.
Offline , polycounter, 1,097 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location San Francisco  

Old (#3)
thanks Wes. It was a great place to call home for a short time Onto new things!
3D Artist at Obsidian Entertainment
Portfolio: http://btb3d.com
Offline , polygon, 689 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Orange County, CA  

Old (#4)
Please do not buy or support this game. Everyone one you care about effecting if the game does bad has already been let go. The only people who stand to profit are the scumbags producers and studio heads. If you pay for this game you are only justifying the shit they did today as "ok" and it is not! I am sick and tired or seeing stories like this and nothing is going to change unless we do something about it.
Offline , triangle, 343 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Phoenix  

Old (#5)
Sorry to hear it guys. This sorta stuff is never nice. Best of luck finding more work.
Liam Tart - My Portfolio.
Offline , polycounter, 1,050 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location London, UK  

Old (#6)
Sad news good luck all hit by this storm.
meh, drinking is bad.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#7)
Terrible news.

I hope everyone lands on their feet.
Offline , polygon, 687 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Long Beach, CA Send a message via Skype™ to KyleJensen  

Old (#8)
That's rough, a lot of good talent there, hopefully everyone lands on their feet.
The answer is 42.

www.camraab3d.com
Offline , polygon, 500 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Champaign, IL  

Old (#9)
Really shitty, sorry to all affected
Available for freelance or fulltime work

My Blogfolio
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,667 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Vancouver BC  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanthera View Post
Damn, so they were let go after content lock? That really sucks. Good luck to those affected.
I support a free labor market, but canning most of the studio after content lock is a Dick Move(tm). That's not the kind of thing that was done spur of the moment because of a major unforseen fiscal problem. Somebody planned that months ahead of time.
Offline , polycounter, 872 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Snoqualmie Valley, WA Send a message via ICQ to GarageBay9  

Old (#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgoth02 View Post
Please do not buy or support this game. Everyone one you care about effecting if the game does bad has already been let go. The only people who stand to profit are the scumbags producers and studio heads. If you pay for this game you are only justifying the shit they did today as "ok" and it is not! I am sick and tired or seeing stories like this and nothing is going to change unless we do something about it.
If I got laid off and the game I worked hard to produce was boycotted that would be a double slap in the face.

I would like to see a website that keeps a searchable database of all the layoffs in the game industry that can show you the odds of getting laid off at certain studios.
Offline , Moderator, 8,264 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#12)
Awful. Awful awful awful. I loved the people when I worked at High Moon. So much talent, so much heart and passion. So much blood and sweat was poured into their games. Activision gave them a shitty situation and they handled it as good as anyone could. I hope The other team will stay safe for a few years, San Diego can't afford to lose more devs. But...this is the Evil Eye of Sauron we are talking about...
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,154 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#13)
It was unfortunately painfully obvious that it was going to happen. I don't know what I can or can't say as i'm afraid of the assassination ninjas of activision, but they practically told us it was going to happen. Just little things like budget cuts, time cuts, and then them saying "just finish the game as fast as possible".

The team had just come back from comp time after working on deadpool. Either way it is a dick move because we tried as hard as we could with the very short deck of cards we were dealt by activision. As a result of their outdated business model, thinking that rushing a game through production and then cutting it's budget and time at the end...would in anyway profit was silly. And some of the best people (with families) have to pay for it.

Portfolio Site

Modeling Reel 2013

Blog

Old (#14)
Shit like this really annoys me, particularly as it seems it was an Activision decision (and I'm sure they aren't struggling for cash thanks to CoD and its endless supply of map packs.

Why not just consolidate the team into smaller teams for the purpose of R&D development? Get some ideas thrown around, focus on smaller ideas for games (mobile/browser-based/Xbox live) and use those as a basis to test new IP's. Minimal risk considering that they would be getting a better estimate on the potential of a new IP for a much smaller overhead rather than just putting millions into a game only to see it sell a mediocre amount.

Investors and their one track minds :|
----
Portfolio
FB / Twitter
Character Artist - The Creative Assembly.
Offline , polygon, 689 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Horsham, UK.  

Old (#15)
Don't forget this is the second game with forced restrictions, time, and budget they put on that poor team... coughtransformersthemoviecough. Budget cuts my ass. That studio has more money than god. Activision doesn't do R&D. They Do Call of Duty, Skylanders, and licensed titles. Blizzard is it's own thing. But the licensed titles are only to show investors they make a bunch of games.
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,154 Posts, Join Date Jun 2009, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via AIM to ErichWK  

Old (#16)
Quote:
I lost my previous job during the post Fable: The Journey layoffs. Same shit.

I want people to buy that game. I didn't bust a nut for two years along with some 60 or so other people who also lost their jobs, only to sweep the achievement under the carpet.
+++MESSAGE ENDS+++
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,291 Posts, Join Date Nov 2005, Location Unreal Nomad  

Old (#17)
Yeah, no, it's pretty much known at this point that Activision doesn't like to keep small teams around from other titles and dev teams, they will almost always Lock-n-Layoff you, if you're not part of the 'first' party dev teams working on flag-titles.

Imagine Nintendo and it's Indie relationship in the past with non certified 3rd part dev's, that's how Activision is internally.

Some people get lucky, and their team transition to a 'vouched' IP stance, giving them a chance a long term contract or a permanent position, before being assimilated into another core team.

However, anything outside of those, yeah, it's very much a gamble.

I guess the good thing about it is if you have friends, they will try and get your hired back on the next project, but I'm not sure how many people will like getting bounced back and forth from a high-ride success to unemployment position from the same place mutiple times.

Quote:
That's a very slipper slope, if people don't buy the game, then the publisher will have no interest to making more, but they will instead sit on the IP.

At the same time, do you really want to sweep years of work under the carpet? What about showing off your work and telling people what title you worked, to garner industry cred?

Then there is the question of having layoffs vs. a total shut down of a team is better or not, since as I said, you can very easily get rehired back if you have the right friends at the time, etc. not to mention, the reinforcement that trying doesn't matter, so as a publish, just don't make other games.

So it's really not so black and white, as much as we would like to think so, not buying a game can potentially cause more issues then solve them in the long term.

Yeah, it's shitty, but maybe peeps who work in the industry, instead of talking and generating drama in places,could focus more on how we can improve the industry not in terms of medium, but how to make our jobs a batter place to work in without fear of losing it? Last I checked, happy dev's make better and more fullfilling games.

Last edited by Ace-Angel; 04-02-2013 at 06:35 PM..
There's a very good chance that I experienced MORE problems, then all the internet put together in the area of 3D. Talk about being original for once...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,837 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Canada  

Old (#18)
The more people who buy these types of games, the more they'll make them. Just my view on this sort of situation.

Portfolio Site

Modeling Reel 2013

Blog

Old (#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
I lost my previous job during the post Fable: The Journey layoffs. Same shit.

I want people to buy that game. I didn't bust a nut for two years along with some 60 or so other people who also lost their jobs, only to sweep the achievement under the carpet.
This is why this will keep happening over and over again. What you are effectively saying is "It's ok that you work me 60+ hours a week while only paying me for 40, then get rid of the team that made your game possible. I hope that everyone has a plan B for when this industry completely crashes.

When a game that sells 1.5/2 million copies is considered to be a financial failure because it can't recoup it's development cost, what is going to happen with the next round of consoles, where development is expected to take even longer? The industry is becoming unsustainable and to risky for companies to have any bigger budgets.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ays-bleszinski

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1..._AAA_games.php

Btw I predict layoffs at Crystal Dynamics and Irrational Games in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Orgoth02; 04-02-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Offline , triangle, 343 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Phoenix  

Old (#20)
sucks to hear transformers was awesome! I hope publishers start realising that these type of games dont make money anymore people expect more nowadays.

hopefully this drives activision and other pubs to focus on less licensed and more original IP.
www.aelevel.net / LinkedIn
Mech Artist / Piranha Games
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,016 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#21)
Activision doesn't develop new original I.Ps.

Old (#22)
Aww man that sucks to hear. I hope everybody let go lands on their feet.
George Sokol
Environment Artist @ Volition
Portfolio
Art Blog

Current WIP: [WIP] [UE4] - Skirmish - scifi corridor
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,603 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010, Location Champaign, IL USA Send a message via Skype™ to gsokol  

Old (#23)
Quote:
Btw I predict layoffs at Crystal Dynamics and Irrational Games in the next few weeks.
Thanks!
www.3dPaul.com

Currently Freelancing
Offline , polycounter, 1,170 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location bAston, MA  

Old (#24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichWK View Post
Activision doesn't develop new original I.Ps.
I know skylanders is not too new but isn't that a new original IP? Also Bungies Destiny game is also a new one even though bungie is not owned by activision.
www.aelevel.net / LinkedIn
Mech Artist / Piranha Games
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,016 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#25)
So I'm still new to this, but what does content-lock actually mean? I haven't been following the development for deadpool much so yeah.

btw, good luck to the people who got laid off.
Offline , spline, 152 Posts, Join Date Jul 2011, Location Brisbane, Australia