Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE – VK's Secret Place – Keezia Mahusay

Hi guys. I'm a 1st year Games Art student at the University of Hertfordshire. This challenge is a good opportunity for me to gain some experience and knowledge so here goes nothing...

I've started by making a mood board. I wanted to make some sort of a cave with stones. I wanted to add a lot of emphasis on the light.

Title: A secret place can be a place to escape reality hence VK's secret place. How it relates to a cave... I'll find a goof explanation eventually.. or maybe I won't. lol
7NPPHzO.jpg

Replies

• artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, here's an update. I made two concepts. I was looking at light beam references and did quick concepts of a cave. I still also need to look at rock reference as I cannot render them properly, yet. I'm leaning towards the second one though. I might add more rocks.

ELL458l.jpg
    uo3l4gc.jpg
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Good job, if you want to make a nice exercise for learning new things, I would suggest setting out your textures before cocnepting much.
    For example you might want to have a tileable dirt and a tileable rock, then 2,3 custom small - medium rocks that you can spin around to populate scene with, maybe the big three stones you can turn into a man made stone with a custom texture, that way you can sculpt a 3d object in zbrush and learn some sculpting as well :)
    AS for the plants, a tileable texture for the grass, and an alpha plane or two with the grass blades ontop :D
    Good luck :D
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza wrote: »
    Good job, if you want to make a nice exercise for learning new things, I would suggest setting out your textures before cocnepting much.
    For example you might want to have a tileable dirt and a tileable rock, then 2,3 custom small - medium rocks that you can spin around to populate scene with, maybe the big three stones you can turn into a man made stone with a custom texture, that way you can sculpt a 3d object in zbrush and learn some sculpting as well :)
    AS for the plants, a tileable texture for the grass, and an alpha plane or two with the grass blades ontop :D
    Good luck :D

Hey~ thanks for the advice. I will try that out. I've already started doing some rocks though. I will upload them tomorrow. Thanks again (:
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Here are the rocks I did yesterday. Took me a while to make these tho ;| they are harder to paint than I expected. I rendered these really terribly. After doing these rocks, I realise I prefer the rocks that I did in my second concept. I want to keep things simple.
    AdVi5WC.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am so bad at this. I'm not used to posting my work. ): Hence, no feedback to improve. #lessonlearned.

I've just been modeling the stuff in zbrush. I'm so slow at this ): It's the first time I've used zBrush properly. I only used to play around with it and not knowing what on earth I was actually doing. Some friends gave a lot of tutorials and I can finally work it! I'm working on retopologising the rocks now and will work on the wall soon.
    t5uotrM.jpg
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    Try to keep some jagged edges for the pillars.
  • rebeccaee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking Really Nice Keez!
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv wrote: »
    Try to keep some jagged edges for the pillars.

Hey! I will try and do that without destroying it completely! Thanks! (:
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebeccaee wrote: »
    Looking Really Nice Keez!

Thank you! (:
  • JakeLeeCooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice stuff Keezia, look forward to seeing more!
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice stuff Keezia, look forward to seeing more!

I'm so bad at posting stuff! I always forget to update! But thanks a lot! I haven't seen anyone else's yet. Will check out some people's stuff as soon as I get some decent sleep lol.
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are rocks that I am going to use in the background. I wanted to have variation so I kept one smooth and the other rough.

I've also done the textures for the other stuff. I just need to put them together neatly and upload them here.

KnRMiCa.jpg77Rtgn6.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still need to light it and add the grass where the pillars are. But I don't know why my ground is like that ;| I tried to tweak the normal map but it just looked so bad. I also played around with the scale to see if it was the culprit but it's not. *cries in a corner*

YBiwDkr.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. This is not the official lighting but just wanted to show that I changed the ground cos the one I did was just terrible. I think it was due to my bad modeling. Anyway, I tried vertex painting for the first time. It almost melted my brain just cos I am a UDK newbie. lol

Also, I did my grass and everything but um.. it looked really bad so I deleted them off the scene. I'm going to focus on them today and hopefully get everything done tonight! (:

Another thing, when I went into game mode, the pillars are really big. As big as a man. I guess it'll be like the Stonehenge but a mini version. ;D And about the the squares on the rocks that look like seams, they're not the seams. I went right up close to it and I could see my seams but when I move back I can barely see it. So those squares.. God knows where they came from ): I'll have to figure that out too ;|

M8VQbC0.jpggtMwUkg.jpg
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind showing us some zbrush views of the rocks sculpted and maybe with the polypaint on them, assuming that you polypainted them ?

Also it would be nice to see your textures as well.
    How did you go about making the rocks ? Are they sculpted and baked ? Or just used tileables ?
    Finally you have some smoothing errors on some rocks , check those normals :)

Good job keep it up
  • Aamiye
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aamiye wrote: »
    Awesome ! :D
    Thanks Amy! (:
    Mind showing us some zbrush views of the rocks sculpted and maybe with the polypaint on them, assuming that you polypainted them ?

Also it would be nice to see your textures as well.
    How did you go about making the rocks ? Are they sculpted and baked ? Or just used tileables ?
    Finally you have some smoothing errors on some rocks , check those normals :)

Good job keep it up
    I smoothed the normals on all of them and when I imported it was all fine, but as soon as I rebuilt the lights they were back again. The culprit was actually the secondary UV sets. I cleaned them up a bit and I re-imported them, rebuilt the lights and they were gone ;D Thanks!

I've taken some print screens of my rocks from zBrush. With and without polypaint. The textures will follow up tonight and will explain stuff etc.

ZXdniRl.jpg

vDq6Uyg.jpg

eTltSZr.jpg

OIkihjg.jpg

ni5gGNl.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so here are my textures and tech shots. I'm new to pretty much everything apart from Maya and Photoshop as I have basic knowledge of them. So I rendered my tech shots in Marmoset Toolbag. I've also included the triangle count.

I should have done this at the start. But anyway, here goes the explanation of what I did.

I started off in ZBrush, sculpted all the rocks and the wall. Took me a while since I'm new to it and had some troubles making it look 'nice'. I was also afraid to go to crazy just in case I destroyed them ):

I then took the high poly models from ZBrush and retopologised them in TopoGun. Then I cleaned up the UVs in Maya, smoothed the normals and exported them. I then baked the high poly mesh into the low poly mesh using xNormal and generated Ambient Occlusion and Normal Maps.

I've also rendered Cavity Maps from xNormal. I rendered a Cavity, EMB & EDT and applied them on top of the diffuse via Photoshop.

Next I will upload some final renders from UDK.

oJSn3eF.jpg
    0CDd5c5.jpg
    s01xze0.jpg
    2nX1JrD.jpg
    XGD1Mhn.jpg
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! So here are my beauty and tech shots! ;D

For this scene I started off as a blank map but then I imported it to a night lighting. I then added a spotlight and a fog effect. I'm quite happy with the results, being a beginner and all. I hope to gain some more experience and knowledge in the future and improve even more! Thank you for those who gave feedback and stuff (:

P.S. The grass and the dried twig next to the huge rock in the background is from UDK's content browser. I really failed at making my grass. I will have a go at it again at some point.

So the whole idea is that there's two ways of escape. It's an escape from the darkness and a secret place, an escape from reality.

m43XDFD.jpg
    lo1XURJ.jpg
    i7n0RIH.jpg
    p7kAsiR.jpg
    hdwhrvm.jpg
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely presentation good job !
    Might want to make speculars next time a bit more sharp and noisy, with more contrast but other than that awesome job :D

Congrats Keezia, I wish I did my 1st game assets this well :)
    Vick
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely presentation good job !
    Might want to make speculars next time a bit more sharp and noisy, with more contrast but other than that awesome job :D

Congrats Keezia, I wish I did my 1st game assets this well :)
    Vick

Thank you so much for the feedback. And about the speculars, I will keep that in mind next time. (:
  • Aamiye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, That looks so nice !!!!!!! :D
  • radurock
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aamiye wrote: »
    Wow, That looks so nice !!!!!!! :D

radurock wrote: »
    Good job :D

Thank you guys <3
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Just as vick said, wish my first game assets were this good. Did a scene in UDK recently for uni, so I'm just as new as you.
    Great job man! Love the simplicity of it, and I'm totally digging those rocks. You've really applied yourself, well done.
  • artofkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk wrote: »
    Just as vick said, wish my first game assets were this good. Did a scene in UDK recently for uni, so I'm just as new as you.
    Great job man! Love the simplicity of it, and I'm totally digging those rocks. You've really applied yourself, well done.

Thank you so much! (: