Home Dota 2

ToniX and Pancake's Dota 2 thread

So, Tonix and I have decided to create a thread on our current adventures playing around with Dota 2. We're both students without much experience but hopefully doing these will change that :D

Submitted to workshop:
Slark: Ancient Imbued Spinal Blade

6289B2C9DBB6BADC6DD25832826C9AFB847A9B20
E73B4BCD54289F5E063150AE96C8F8A91D6F8E13
FDA5E54A4E8D00E043784BE84C4EE99324787CCB

In Progress:
Armor set of Frozen Entombment (Work In Progress)
We're currently working on an idea for a new set for the Lich character. We're still at the "basic shapes and all that" stage, so any feedback would be very much appreciated before we go any further.
544479_10151546156030865_622924945_n.jpg

Replies

• Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Great concept and it will really fit slark as well!

A few things, it's better to start blocking out the most important shapes, so you can use it for the high poly. If you finished the high poly, you can start modeling the lod_0, which you use to bake your normal map. When you finished the bake you can start reducing the trilimit to the 400. This way the quality will be a lot higher and better!

The bones and detail can be easily acchieved using the normal map, that way you can keep the nice edge of the blade and it will look a lot better. If you don't know what i mean i can make a little draw over..

Good luck, this defenetly looks promising!
  • Pancake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We were pretty eager to see how the shape fits in the hand, the low poly didn't take too long. After all, how a concept looks and how it fits in-game can be two different things :P

Definitely agreed though, now we've fixed the potential clipping issues we discovered with the test model we're going to move onto the high poly then afterwards reduce it down. See what we can strip off the bone to smooth up the edges :)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancake wrote: »
    We were pretty eager to see how the shape fits in the hand, the low poly didn't take too long. After all, how a concept looks and how it fits in-game can be two different things :P

Definitely agreed though, now we've fixed the potential clipping issues we discovered with the test model we're going to move onto the high poly then afterwards reduce it down. See what we can strip off the bone to smooth up the edges :)

I agree that a concept is most of the time a lot easier than getting something in the game :p But like always you want to stay as close to your concept as possible.. Did a quick paint over which I think will have a lot better reading ingame. It might not be my best paintover, but i think this way you will save a lot more poly's for the bone shapes..

6Q3lNHc.jpg
  • Pancake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks a tonne! We're really liking the wires you suggested and it'll help save texture space too. We'll definitely redo the low, Tonix is having a go at playing around with what you suggested now.
  • Pancake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking your suggestion, AndyK, this is our slightly improved (I hope) base:

sE1ypUB.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking great, I think you will have a lot easier job from now on..
    Keeping my eye on this one, really like the overall idea!
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Andyk, i just got my account approved for forum access today. i just wanted to thank you personally for your insights on a good base mesh. I prefer this way of doing things alot more and ultimately will have an easier time with getting a cleaner bake.

~Thanks
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToniX wrote: »
    Hi Andyk, i just got my account approved for forum access today. i just wanted to thank you personally for your insights on a good base mesh. I prefer this way of doing things alot more and ultimately will have an easier time with getting a cleaner bake.

~Thanks

Haha no problem your welcome, looking forward seeing this one finished!
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just an update to show the sculpt that Pancake and i did for this weapon!
    we are fairly new to Zbrush so we are happy to take any critique if you can think of anything that could be improved. We realise the detail is alot and it will get lost in the baking process but we wanted to have fun!

9fEpFoC.jpg
  • darkartsofneko
    Wow, your zbrush work looks great! Even though detail is going to be lost, try to incorporate as much of it into the texture as well, so even if the normal map doesn't show it off a lot, the texture will help emphasize it. Good luck, can't wait to see more :)
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i got the Re-topo's done for both LOD0 and LOD1, baked it down to as good as i could get it! Did a quick texture test, cavity, light map (thanks to pancake!) and the base colours. As of now it needs an AO, really needs some highlights etc and a proper painting job. The colours are too washed out, but we will fix that when we get the proper painting work tomorrow.

i am also thinking about reducing the scale. Thoughts welcomed!

60619_10151534381000865_1499089951_n.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! Maybe scale it down a bit..

Can't wait to see it finished!
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update with the texture work by pancake.
    anyone who has experience with the art style of DotA2 feel free to critique it like crazy, i think it still isn't quite there yet, but i maybe wrong!

ALSO any suggestion on a name for it? :D

894421_10151537427220865_1611099270_o.jpg

549647_10151537439460865_956558590_n.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great! did you allready used masks on it?

I'm really bad with names, bone ripper or something :)
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I love it, I think it's a bit too large (more of a short-sword than a dagger) but I also think that size is necessary to be able to make out all the fine details in the fish skeleton. I wouldn't change this item, but maybe keep that in mind for future items when considering the detailing and item size.

Is that supposed to be the skeleton of an angler fish? You could call it the angler spine or something similar.
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried putting some masks on it, but im not sure if they are actually working :P
    but i havent spent a great deal of time on the mask side of things yet.

I totally agree with what you are say mrpresident, it's our first item for DotA2 and working with these constraints so it was very much a learning experience! Slark is a small character, so lets hope we can get away with him using an oversized dagger haha :D

like the idea of the angler spine!

Any advice on submitting our weapon to the workshop will be appreciated also :D
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you to all those who helped us with our development.

Here is the end result.
    6289B2C9DBB6BADC6DD25832826C9AFB847A9B20

Our workshop page can be found here!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136439733
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done, the end result is awesome!

This will defently get into the game, can't wait to get a hold on it myself :)

There's one thing though that bothering me a little bit, and that's the end of the handle is pretty small. But when Slark holds it, it's not looking that bad.
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have recently added a video of the weapon, check it out if you haven't!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WubmKJGamBA
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats on your progress fellow Australian polycounter. Here's to seeing this in a chest in the future!
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're currently working on an idea for a new set for the Lich character. We're still at the "basic shapes and all that" stage, so any feedback would be very much appreciated before we go any further.

This time we have a basic name for it: Armor set of Frozen Entombment.

544479_10151546156030865_622924945_n.jpg
  • ToniX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have been playing around with the above concept. We want to incorporate the chains similar to how the default set has their chains, using dedicated joints. I was wondering if anyone has any information of how something like this can be incorporated into our own custom set. Any tutorials would be lovely. I assume that it has been binded to the joints just from looking at the maya file by valve. anyway if anyone has some kind of insight on this particular area, i would love to hear a response :D