Home General Discussion

Project Anarchy - Havok's new FREE Mobile Development Engine

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
Hey Guys,
I know it has been a while since I have posted, life has gotten the best of me the past few months. As some of you may already know I left Terminal Reality/Infernal Engine about 2 months ago for an exciting new opportunity I could not pass up. I have always loved trying to help out to the development community in anyway possible so when Havok approached with a new product that would do just that I knew it was a perfect fit.

Today that product has been announced... Project Anarchy. It is a completely free engine for Andriod and iOS development that incorporates Havok Physics, Havok AI, and Havok Animation Studio (which is Havok Animation and Havok Behavior combined) into the Havok Vision Engine.

Of course the announcement comes just in time for GDC, so we have a large showroom booth showcasing demos, small games, and tech talks using this awesome product. I will be manning an area of the booth from 1-3 everyday then floating around the area when not in meetings.

I will also be helping on leading the online community when it comes up, however in the mean time I will try to get to any questions answered that may come up, but please keep in mind GDC is a crazy time :)

Press Release:
http://www.develop-online.net/news/43640/GDC-13-Havok-unveils-free-3D-mobile-game-engine

http://projectanarchy.com/

Ryan Monday
Technical Art Director
Havok™
www.havok.com
2012 Front Line Award Winner

Replies

• spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Not much info there to go on, hehe.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No there is not on the video. Again our focus has been at our GDC booth for those that are able to make it we will have several games/demos working on an array of different tablets and engineers will be at workstations to show you the tools and workflows available in the engine.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    define free? Are only certain parts free and have to buy package to get the rest or is it Free up till a certain point or profit ?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free as in we do not care about profit you make or company size and you will be given the Havok vision engine (with ample c++ source access) integraded with the other Havok products mentioned and FMOD. There will be packages defined, but that will be extras that are not needed such as beast for better lighting, scaleform, expanding it past the iOs and android platforms, or needed individualized support the free community/forums cant offer. However with the base set of tools mobile development is more then possible as we are showing off from many of our demos and mini games at the booth all of which will be included in the free download for you to reference.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I worked with the Vision Engine on Orcs Must Die 1 and 2. It's got so many great features for level editing and model viewing. It's really easy to get models into the game. It's nice to not have to rely on broken FBX plugins.
  • MarkNederhoed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's going on in the trailer? Is this what Havoc is releasing or just what was built with havoc before anarchy?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Cool, is it just C++ plus exposure to something like Lua, or will it have a high level scripting language like c#? Also, what is the GUI system based on? Would be really great to have all of the native UIView stuff from iOS exposed from the ground up rather than the terrible Unity GUI system.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    this is gonna be sweet :) will it gonna be look exactly like this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnrll8H-z4"]Havok Vision Engine Features - YouTube[/ame]

otherwise could havok have side by side feature checklist comparison like unity website?
  • diamond3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7
    Will it support live wallpapers on Android? Will there be enough source code access to modify OpenGL initialization to accomplish this on my own?
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Will this be available soonish? was looking forward to try it for the ESCAPE contest but its not available ATM...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, a little iffy on the word free. We had a presentation at work about Havoc, and there was that whole "the engine is FREE!!! ..... but we take a cut of your profits".

That Vision video looks sweet, but you are saying project anarchy is free. So im confused. Is Anarchy a different engine than Vision? Are they both free? Or is Anarchy the same as Vision? The Anarchy website has zero information.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    Gotta love Autodesk (Illuminate Labs) Be
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    What are the royalty agreements on published games?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I had a look at the engine running at GDC and really liked what they were showing.

If it's profit sharing but you get to use C++ then it's a really nice alternative to UDK. If it's not and it's really free, and they're doing it to encourage more use and development of the tools then it's a very smart move.

It already looks leagues ahead of Unity visually (though it's hard to beat Unity for rapid development, it's not a pretty engine.)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, is it just C++ plus exposure to something like Lua, or will it have a high level scripting language like c#? Also, what is the GUI system based on? Would be really great to have all of the native UIView stuff from iOS exposed from the ground up rather than the terrible Unity GUI system.

The UI system is a panel based system.. We will also have scaleform's mobile/lite SDK incorporated but that will have to come at a price.

We give you tons of c++ exposure for more then just LUA information. You will be able to write full plugins and even have access to our shader source. LUA is the only scripting language available.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Looks awesome.

Will the toolset run on OS X? I know it says iOS and OS X are supported as build platforms, but I'm wondering if I'm gonna be able to actually use the editor on a Mac as well as target those platforms.

At this time we do not have any plans to port the toolset over to OSx
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy wrote: »
    Will this be available soonish? was looking forward to try it for the ESCAPE contest but its not available ATM...

It will be available in late spring of this year.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Ya, a little iffy on the word free. We had a presentation at work about Havoc, and there was that whole "the engine is FREE!!! ..... but we take a cut of your profits".

That Vision video looks sweet, but you are saying project anarchy is free. So im confused. Is Anarchy a different engine than Vision? Are they both free? Or is Anarchy the same as Vision? The Anarchy website has zero information.

Project anarchy is completely free no matter your revewnue or team size on iOS and Android. It is the Vision Engine with much better integration of Havok products, many bug fixes, and new tools. As soon as you want to start expanding platforms out of iOS and Android then you leave what Project Anarchy is, and you can talk to us about Vision Engine licensing .

Does that clear it up?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the royalty agreements on published games?

There are non for iOS and Android publishing.. Completely free
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a look at the engine running at GDC and really liked what they were showing.

If it's profit sharing but you get to use C++ then it's a really nice alternative to UDK. If it's not and it's really free, and they're doing it to encourage more use and development of the tools then it's a very smart move.

It already looks leagues ahead of Unity visually (though it's hard to beat Unity for rapid development, it's not a pretty engine.)

Thank you for dropping by the booth! You get plenty of C++ access for free :)
  • MarkNederhoed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does that clear it up?
    It does, thanks.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Stopped by and grilled them for about 45 minutes on the engine. Looks great - will definitely be downloading it and tinkering around with it.

Plus, got a pretty sweet shirt :)
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about royalty for a PC indie release say on steam
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Stopped by and grilled them for about 45 minutes on the engine. Looks great - will definitely be downloading it and tinkering around with it.

Plus, got a pretty sweet shirt :)

Awesome thanks for the great words! Also thank you for stopping by!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    What about royalty for a PC indie release say on steam

Nick these details are still being worked out. We are mainly focused on the mobile front for now with availability to expand it if your mobile project takes off :)
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As soon as you want to start expanding platforms out of iOS and Android then you leave what Project Anarchy is, and you can talk to us about Vision Engine licensing .

Does that clear it up?

How much of existing asset and code will transfer to Vision from Anarchy?
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I am curious about what 3D applications that this new vision engine will support.

I know that it supports Max and Maya. At least according to the current vision engine product page.

Do you have any plans to support Modo, C4D, or Blender?

Thank you for your time,

Ben
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Eager to test this out and see how it competes with Unity. Bring in the updates !
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Beast is basically a baked lighting solution, right? What kind of lighting options will the engine have out of the box without it?

Will the C++ access allow for a programmer to incorporate their own UI and lighting solutions?

This sounds pretty interesting, I'll definitely be checking it out come late spring. Thanks for sticking around and answering questions Ryan.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Sorry for the NecroBump/Post but I have a few more questions -

1. What will be provided to mobile developers in terms of Havok's own middleware?
    2. I am seeing on Project Anarchy's site that there is going to be a developer contest. Is this going to be a Game dev jam of sorts? (Ludum Dare, etc.)
    3. What profiling tools will be have access to? (Memory? GPU? CPU? etc.)
    4. What will the world size be limited to?
    5. Will there be a level loaded trigger similar to the source engine?
    6. Will we need full SDK access to develop for the OUYA Console?

Thank you for your time,

Ben
  • L4ntis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No beast lightmapping? That a bit scary, baking lights it's so important on mobile... i hope you'll sell the addon at a decent (and indie friendly) price, i think almost every serious developer will need it for a good game.

Btw i'm very hyped for Project Anarchy :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    How much of existing asset and code will transfer to Vision from Anarchy?

Almost everything should convert from Anarchy -> Vision.. The other way can get a bit tricky if you are not using dx9 shaders and depending how much you did to the source code.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot wrote: »
    Hey, I am curious about what 3D applications that this new vision engine will support.

I know that it supports Max and Maya. At least according to the current vision engine product page.

Do you have any plans to support Modo, C4D, or Blender?

Thank you for your time,

Ben

Right now it is only Max and Maya as it uses our Havok Content Tools for exporting. There is talk of making the Havok Content Tools support something like FBX so we can expand to more 3D packages.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    Eager to test this out and see how it competes with Unity. Bring in the updates !

Jerc... Thank you we are eager to see how the community takes to it! Will be sure to update information on here :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Beast is basically a baked lighting solution, right? What kind of lighting options will the engine have out of the box without it?

Will the C++ access allow for a programmer to incorporate their own UI and lighting solutions?

This sounds pretty interesting, I'll definitely be checking it out come late spring. Thanks for sticking around and answering questions Ryan.

Dan,
    Beast is a baked lighting solution.. Vision also ships with vlux which is a baked lighting solution as well and will be free. So out of the box you will have vlux and lightgrid support. Our tool will unwrap your lightmaps unless you specify a uv channel you already unwrapped specifically for lighting. Also it has support for dynamic lights and the way the differed render is setup you can get away with one light at a time for super cheap.

The c++ access will allow you to incorporate your own UI solution, as for lighting this can be a wide range of things so I would need more specifics on what you are looking to do? If you are talking about more custom shaders then yes this will be easy as we give you full source to that. If you are talking about your own baked solution, this may get more tricky.

As always can not wait to see what you think about this product and hopefully put some great apps out with it :)

-Ryan
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot wrote: »
    Hey,

Sorry for the NecroBump/Post but I have a few more questions -

1. What will be provided to mobile developers in terms of Havok's own middleware?
    2. I am seeing on Project Anarchy's site that there is going to be a developer contest. Is this going to be a Game dev jam of sorts? (Ludum Dare, etc.)
    3. What profiling tools will be have access to? (Memory? GPU? CPU? etc.)
    4. What will the world size be limited to?
    5. Will there be a level loaded trigger similar to the source engine?
    6. Will we need full SDK access to develop for the OUYA Console?

Thank you for your time,

Ben

Ben,
    No problem for the bumps... As of now there is not a ton of information so I am trying to help with that as we get everything ready to launch for the community!

1. So inside of Havok's Vision Engine will be Havok Physics, Havok Animation Studio (Havok Behavior + Havok Animation), and Havok AI. All these tools will be the full version of the tools with limited C++ access.

2. There will be a competition the details for this are still being sorted. It will be similar to dev jam. But we are looking for more polished and completed games to be pushed on the app store. Details to come soon.

3. Vision has a huge host of tools for what you are mentioning here. On top fo that each of the havok middleware have their own profiling/debugging tools. Some of these tools will even be able to remote connect to your device and give you real time profiling/debugging information.

4. There is no set world size limit.

5. What exactly do you mean by level loaded trigger (sorry it has been a while since I have used source). If you mean when the level is loaded is there a script hook to run code? Then yes in LUA we have a simple on level loaded function.

6. We are not anticipating you will. Ouya is based around the android platform which we are providing for free. If there are any specifics that the console will need we are guessing that it can be developed by the c++ plugin structure we provide for developers.

Hope that helps,
    Ryan
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L4ntis wrote: »
    No beast lightmapping? That a bit scary, baking lights it's so important on mobile... i hope you'll sell the addon at a decent (and indie friendly) price, i think almost every serious developer will need it for a good game.

Btw i'm very hyped for Project Anarchy :)

You will still be able to bake lights without beast using visions vlux. Vlux does not have as many features as beast but you will still be able to bake lights in for a faster performance.

Sorry for the confusion on this,
    Ryan
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the reply Ryan.

My thinking on the custom lightmapper was "well if beast is added via plugin, can any other solution be added the same way by the developer?" Though the time it would take a dev to make their own lightmappper instead probably isn't very cost effective.

It will be interesting to see the details of the competition too, so I'll be looking forward to that for sure.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Ryan.

My thinking on the custom lightmapper was "well if beast is added via plugin, can any other solution be added the same way by the developer?" Though the time it would take a dev to make their own lightmappper instead probably isn't very cost effective.

It will be interesting to see the details of the competition too, so I'll be looking forward to that for sure.

Yes they would be able to. But again I want to remind of the fact there will be a free light mapper included.
    Obviously beast is much more powerful and have more robust tools, but for mobile vLux (the free light mapper) is more the sufficient.
  • L4ntis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlux does not have as many features as beast but you will still be able to bake lights in for a faster performance.
    Nice! Btw are you guys planning indie friendly prices for the addons (Beast, Scaleform and other Havok middleware)?
    Does the default GUI system support have a visual editor?
    Thanks.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L4ntis wrote: »
    Nice! Btw are you guys planning indie friendly prices for the addons (Beast, Scaleform and other Havok middleware)?
    Does the default GUI system support have a visual editor?
    Thanks.

Sadly we don't really have too much control on the middleware pricing. It will be competitive with other engines on the market. Things like scaleform we are going to try and have their full (expensivebut more robust) SDK and mobile (super cheap but limited) SDK setup to easily integrate.

Our default UI tools does not have a visual editor it currently is all through XML. Hence our scaleform options. I am sure someone with in the community will add a visual tool considering the c++/plug-in structure.
  • krabat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havok I love you, I've dreamed of this day for a long time, put their hands on their technology and free, maybe I'm dreaming god!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krabat wrote: »
    havok I love you, I've dreamed of this day for a long time, put their hands on their technology and free, maybe I'm dreaming god!

Thank you for the kind words.. We are excited to see what people do with the tech!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New video up showing some of the tools and features!

http://youtu.be/O-g_N9BF4MQ
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New video up showing some of the tools and features!

http://youtu.be/O-g_N9BF4MQ

That is just awesome!

Cannot wait to get my hands on these tools! :D
  • Onion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Engine looks great.

I take it, I can only really use this if I'm part of a team, whereby I have access to programmers ?

Will there be any sort of 'visual scripting' type systems in place so that non programmers can also make use of the engine ? I'm talking preset behaviours, or systems like Playmaker for unity, or even the 2d game maker Stencyl with it's super easy to use code blocks system. I've still yet to see anybody produce a decent games creation system for non programmers that isn't super cheap and nasty and aimed at pre school children.

Regards
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, I'm not speaking LUA. Big interest tho. Features and kind words make me want to try it out ASAP. :) My main question is if it will be possible to add C# support to this engine. I like to code in C# (the only thing micro$oft done right). Will there be some evaluation period or closed beta? I have game in progress in Unity3D and would love to try to convert it to this one and compare it all :)