Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Urzaz

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys! Love what I'm seeing on Polycount, first content post, we'll see where we go from here.

EDIT: I forgot to state explicitly, but I would LOVE critiques on anything you're willing to write about. Please. Don't hold back.

A quick sphere sculpt I did of a serene little goblin guy. He started out angry but became more pleasant as it went on. Right now I'm not sure what to do to bring him to the next level. You can see I've done a quick polypaint pass just to get an idea of how he might look, it's not at all final. I also gave him some noise/pores at the highest level. No plans to make him game-ready, just messing around, trying to learn more Zbrush.

He does seem a bit lumpy-- I was trying to be intentional about that so it doesn't look accidental, I know Zbrush stuff tends to look like that easily esp. when starting out.

tYhf21i.pngtaBL8Ff.pngIgqb1Ut.png

Replies

• Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I think it could benefit from some more silhouette defining shapes :)
    Especially in the side profile
    Good start though!
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah side view is definitely what to work on. I knew I didn't like the bridge of his nose from the side, but I wasn't thinking how it affected the profile-- he just looks like a lumpy sphere.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Death Monster Plant Lady thing I did a little while ago, I want to continue with her, rework her design and eventually giving her some paint.

F8MQ9ey.png
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Some slightly older stuff I made for a Roman myth / educational game I'm currently working on at school.

Meat - Right when I was re-learning how to model and texture. Maps generated from texture via Unity.

POMR0gX.png

A fish! First real foray into Zbrush, I had some topology issues that plagued me throughout.

TupCrwGh.jpg

A stylized, multi-purpose rock for use in one of our myth levels. I loved the sculpt, but had no idea how to retopologize it. (First use of zspheres) I eventually sat down to just do the work with the topology brush, slowly figured out how I needed to do it, but about 60-70% of the way done Zbrush started crashing consistently. Still incomplete. :shifty:

bKHJ03E.pngNPahz5V.pngtLukaje.png

AAnnd...here's what I'm working on currently, a costume for our Hermes character (only basic char. mesh shown). Made the base tunic using the Dress-o-matic function of Cinema4D and am now sculpting away at it. I've made a custom alpha for the decoration but am running into troubling keeping the pattern size consistent due to Zbrush's brush scaling. Urgh.

dPZ3lUx.pngdR3je5W.pngQZZZs6h.pngR0dBd6vh.jpg
  • RedCrow
    The goblin looks good - apart from Alismuffin's comment (which is right) there might be good to define some areas more: the eyes, the corner of the eye, the area where the nostrils and the face meets, the lips. It's just a few brave lines but it does the trick especially if you do not want a real-looking character.

I like that rock too and I think you are on a good way to retopo it! :)
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I want him to look pretty real, but I want him to have character, also. I think I know what you're saying, there needs to be some refinement there, for sure. Thanks!

Those are kind of older pictures of the rock, I love the sculpt, but I guess the topo brush isn't meant for the kind of use I'm giving it because at the point I'm at I have a lot done but Zbrush runs really slow on every stroke I draw and eventually crashes. I'm thinking I'll have to use something else, oh well :/

The rock's progress:

G6yhs87.png

New topology, some non-quads/tris in there...

GUcfSVq.png

And the back

2shQADf.png

EDIT: I just realized the shell is way too thick on those shots, that's a quick fix though if I ever finish the topology.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    Ahhh I'm all over the place, aahhh

Ok, so I've seen the awesome tutorials by choco for making terrain for Cryengine and UDK, and since pretty much every project I've worked on has struggled with awful terrain, I really wanted to get the time to give it a go. So for the past couple nights that's what I've been working on, using Zbrush instead of Mudbox and trying to get the terrain looking good in Unity, as that's what we use, and it will be good to know.

lFMf33S.png

In Zbrush after World Machine:

FLUSdH2.png

In Unity, actually got it and the texture in without much trouble, but the texture looks really gross and pixelated. The next step is to figure out how to overlay detailed textures for grass, sand and rock on top, but those also I'm having trouble getting to show up at an appropriate resolution.

XePqNVT.png

VYqGWvc.png
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I made a lot of progress recently! On the recommendation from a developer that visited our lab I tried out 3D Coat and was pretty blown away with the AUTOPO and UV tools.

Revived my rock back from the dead, used it as a test for 3D Coat and xNormal workflows.
    You might be able to see there are some errors with the xNormal bakes in the textures, I didn't have any idea what I was doing, so I'm hoping the redo of the rock topology will fix some of those.

a6wxZRQ.png

9kT1q2A.jpg

And here are my revisions on the rock topology, where I tried to really take my time and get the guides right from the beginning:

DSdU9lH.jpg

zYg4vcf.jpg

It's exactly 2001 tris total, I really "tri-ed" to get it to 2000 exactly. I think it's an ok number? They should be quite big...
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    fT34X7c.png

This started out as some sort of wood/stone club, it was fun letting it turn into an interesting axe.

Ip647rn.jpg

Simple staff, not too happy with it.

FLnNnhR.jpg

WIP photo study of a school of fish in a kelp forest. I spent some time and experimented with making decent fish scatter brushes, they'll go in last once the kelp is done.

qcMbVaI.jpg

Werewolf design sketch, I'd like to paint him. His claw was initially 3-pronged like those gardening tools but I found it reads better with only two.
  • Urzaz
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I'm going to try and make this page more about 2D sketches and general artistic development. I recently started using a tan toned sketchbook and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Here's some of my first sketches.

First thing I did was a quick sketch of my foot just to test my paper out, along with some drawings while watching Twin Peaks. I didn't spray this first page and it got smeared pretty bad.

uHyaghz.jpg

I have an idea for goblins with a borrower/elfish vibe that steal things from local towns and use them for their own devices.

5BHrZKd.jpg

Tried drawing some spaceships, not good at that at all.

xTQhn0P.jpg

Some leafy cabbage knights. Knights of the Trowel? I don't know. Sort of inspired by similarities between halflings and cabbage patch kid proportions.

o5Ikrup.jpg

Kabbage King and Kabbage Kreature. Obviously the design here is basic, it's just a piranha plant, but I'm really happy with the drawing, I think I hit a new level of detail and rendering.

jlrk4Ru.jpg