Home Digital Sketchbooks

[Sketchbook] - Elisabet Y.A.

Hello Polycounters.

I'm a lurker. I lurk. But now I'm gonna be a poster. Or at least make a very honest attempt at doing so.

I'll be posting all my random stuff here. I was inspired by the guys over at "sketch a day", and I'll be making a sketch a day...in 2D or 3D, doesn't matter, as long as I do SOMETHING.

So why am I doing this? Maybe you don't care and just wanna see pictures. But, I'll tell you why anyway. I'm doing this because I need to get out of this hole of doing-nothing-and-then-regretting-it that I've been digging myself lately. I keep starting small projects and then dropping them if I hit a wall. And usually I'm the kind of person who sees a challenge as something fun. So, to get myself out of this stinking pit of horrible shamefulness, I'll be making a sketch a day at least. And I'll be posting it here, with anything else that comes up into my mind.

So I'll be posting my pretty things, and my ugly things too, because I'm always so scared of posting those. So now it's time to be brave, and just do it.

So tl;dr: Gonna post pictures awwww yeaaaaa

First thing, a 3D blockout I started of a small environment:

5hEcarN.jpg

This is based off Alex Tooth's awesome sketch here: Concept Art.

So, the plan is to keep mostly to the sketch, but I'll be adding some details and such. Currently I'm stuck on those stalagmite things in the foreground. Any tips for those? Of course, this is still just in block-out state, and the goal is to keep the polycount to something that would fit into a relatively powerful game engine.

Since stalagmites can be quite complicated geometry by nature, I'm just wondering if anyone has tips on how to optimize and reuse those. Should I make groups of stalagmites and then place them around? Is there some magical tutorial for natural stone formations and cave stuff that might have tips and tricks?

yWGBMAX.jpg

And this is my daily sketch.

Hope you enjoyed the post for today. If you have any critique or comments on anything, don't hesitate to post them! I love good advice, and I know this forum has loads of people that know how to give some real great advice.

Replies