Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Entire HS/EV Portfolio, Right here, From scratch.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
Hello guys,

Over the course of the last few months I've been skulking in the background of the forums waiting for my injuries to heal so I could get back to work; finish my portfolio, and hopefully aim for an internship sometime by the end of May.

But I figured the best way to start would be to just build a portfolio from the ground up right here on Polycount, and get as many critiques as I could.

I'll Be doing 3 Island-like asset heavy mini scenes for the bulk of the portfolio, and go from there. The first Scene will be a Medieval Concept of a Poseidon-like tower entrance way. I am aiming for game styles such as DarkSouls, Dragon Age, Gears of War, and Skyrim.

So to start off I did a shameful 5 min sketch over a basic block-out that I did in Zbrush to get an idea of what I wanted to do. All assets that I do are mainly done in Zbrush, or prep'd in Max First.

(updated main pic)
oWjVVGf.jpg

bcIcxWr.jpg

wEI8qb4.jpg

dts65Hi.jpg

Mhw18AL.jpg

The Whole Pillar Piece is roughly 3000 tris. I made a bunch of different metal textures, still trying to see which one I prefer.

Anyways I hope you enjoy viewing and critiquing my work as much as I am creating it.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Looking great so far, can't wait to see where this goes.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a crazy HP Lovecraft vibe from this.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    mmmm nice high poly. love that column, maybe a tad bit too heavy on the noise on the rocks in the bake, but other than that awesome stuff!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The heads on the bottom remind me of gargoyles and their original use as drain-spouts.

The metal grates on the columns seem like they'd be for a brazier of some sort, and I'd expect a latch & hinges on them, and for a hollow space behind to hold the burner.

I can't quite tell what is on the capital - winged seashell? It doesn't really seem to fit the rest of the images.

The noisy blocks remind me of either coral or limestone, either of which fit your theme nicely.
    ccgate.jpg
    rb_4.jpg

For metal, I'd strongly recommend bronze. Not only does it fit the nautical them, but it will provide you with plenty of opportunities for weathering and detailing. Iron just doesn't do well near salt water unless it's continually cleaned and painted, and gold seems too shiny.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ dissonance: Yea! I was totally thinking about, "The Strange High House in the Mist", and "Poseidon's Children" when I came up with the statues. ;)

@ Coots7: I totally agree about the noise. It should match the top pillar... I don't know why they don't match up seeing how I used the same brick for both. I am going to check that out right now.

@ DWalker: Yea I actually have a huge block of limestone at my friends fishing house which is where I got the idea to use it, so good catch!

And yea now that I look at it, the top Sea shell-like water bowls don't make sense without water, the idea is that its a 12 tier castle, and each entrance link up to each other with water that fell, and bounced from tier-2-tier (seashell to seashell)... But without it they really do have a hard time matching with the rest. If by the time I'm almost done with the scene, and they still don't match up I will have to re-design them. >.<

And the Pillar Lamp do have latches, I just fail at camera angles. They are on the other side, maybe I should put latches on both sides maybe? May not look right, but that way people can see them from both sides? Or maybe I'll have to make them bigger.

Also do you really think I should put a hollow space inside the lamp? I was going to use a fire-like emissive, or some form, or another, and keep it flat to save some polygons. But if it doesn't make sense, I can change it, should be a quick fix though.

And bronze makes a lot of sense, I'll paint up some samples, and see what I can do. TY for the help!

And TY all so much for the input.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    The sculpts are looking absolutely nice! My only crit at the moment would be, that the texture / detail level of the column itself is not on par with the sculpts / bakes of the fishheads.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally like the idea of having a hollow behind the grate over an emissive texture for a few reasons. First, it helps to keep me honest. :P If, as your description implies, the columns are hollow for the water, then actually modelling everything forces me to ensure that everything fits without going into a convenient pocket dimension. The same also applies to the placement and size of the fire, and the resulting placement and intensity of the light. I also prefer (at least for non-real-time rendering :P) having shadows cast by the grating. Finally, should I decide to break something, either damaging it or opening it, the space is there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the number of polygons it will add. At the lower end, it will add 10 triangles (5 faces of a box x2). Even at the upper end you can make one from a cylinder with 8-12 sides (32-48 triangles), some of which will be removed for the grate.
  • PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work so far mate. Those pillars give me a Kevin Johnstone/Gears of War feel (http://www.kevinjohnstone.com/) which is probably one of the best compliments I could give someone with this style! I would love to see more colour from the pillars though, maybe using a turquoise or green painted metal? This could reflect a nautical type feeling and add some nice colour variation.

Looking forward to following this, subscribed!
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright Guys Here is Weekly update 2.

Still battling that bronze texture, But I think I'm getting it to where I like it. I'll post the Pillar Fixes tomorrow or so, Still tweaking the pillar Section.

I needed to redesign the Stairway because it was rather week. Figured I would get as much as I could out of the Monster head, and Poseidon tentacles. So here is the Lower Building Entrance way and stairs.

Ive done some quick cropping for better view of the pieces.

SrhP8U7.jpg

63IbD5T.jpg

RTZBfwH.jpg

Here they are together, and textured.

4yKEKzi.jpg

And here is the break down.

zGB9sGE.jpg

So Bronzy-ish enough or more greens? I tried to go for some Seriously old Bronze, but the huge saturation of greens, and turquoise just didn't look right. Not to mention it was hard to find good examples. So I went with a slowly ageing bronze instead.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is pretty damn fantastic. I'm afraid you'll probably get more than an internship if this keeps going in the direction it looks like ti's going hah.

I would say definitely add some of that old bronze green. Just do a test on one of those fish head busts and post it up. The bronze is reading brilliantly and is begging for just alittle bit of that aged green.

Great work!
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome modeling, but wireframes man! where have all the wireframes gone? lol Looking spectacular, dunno how I missed this up till now.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Great looking stuff!Love the bronze, great work developing the texture. would love to see some final wires. Check your bronze in low-light as well to see if it holds up!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures at the moment seem too brown. The stones themselves should be lighter, and weathered bronze tends to take on a darker and less saturated color. Once you get to weathering, you can relieve the monochromatic feeling with plants - both weeds and algae.

You also might be overdoing the bronze. It certainly makes sense for the lanterns and the chains, and for the fountains, but the stair treads seem excessive.

Verdigris is certainly appropriate, and if the bronze is old or exposed to the sea then it might be the dominant color.

Bronze-Statue.jpg

Also, the water spouts will tend to have more wear than other areas, especially if the water flow is intermittent. This statue is iron, so the stains are rust rather than green, but the pattern would be similar for bronze. Some of the verdigris would also have flowed onto the neighboring stone.

590498.jpg
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, this is looking fantastic. Mind giving us a quick breakdown of how you made those swirly bits on the pillar and the side of the ornamental fish heads?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Loving those sculpts.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff! It's inspiring to see those really nice highpolys. I'm going to be following this closely :)
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    excellent work!
    would love to see how you did some of those curling details, and any other tidbits you would like to share :)
    Keep it up!
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    The curls are probably not much more than this: shaped spline -> mesh -> stack obj and scale/shape -> export zbrush -> Detail.

Exporting with the rest of the meshes as well, that would be silly to just exp those bits alone :P
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    great stuff, sub'd!
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, again thanks for the support, and crits. It helps greatly.

More Greens on the Bronze it is! I'll whip up a quick example, and post it when I can. I am up north at the moment helping a friend move. I'll post up some wire frames as soon as I get back.

@ DWalker: I had to use a darker Brown Lime stone for the Main building Trim, because from the color example I have its all looking rather white, and needed some Color accenting (When I get around to finishing the top building you will understand what I mean). Also here is one of the examples of the Brown Limestone I used.
    http://www.cbksupply.com/store/images/limestone-vogue-brown-brushed-18-18.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/dimedrol68/dimedrol681209/dimedrol68120900011/15334300-brown-stone-with-a-rough-uneven-surface.jpg

It is blurry, but i just eye dropped it for color selection. And yea the Bronze stairs might be a little bit excessive, But I am looooven it. XD

Also Water wont be coming out of the mouths on the stairs, but yes you are correct I will need to put that corroded look on the other assets. And again THANK YOU!!! For that bronze example, should help me with the color. Also I didn't even know Verdigris was the word for the Bronze Oxidation process. I'll add more once I can, but I don't plan on adding that much of it to the bronze, but as told before more is obviously needed, so thank you! Btw I would like to thank you for your back breaking critiques. You are killing me, but I love it. ;)

Now I am by no means a Industry-Pro, but I know a lot of you guys have sent me messages asking me to post a description of How I did these models, and what my polycount limit is etc. So here is a break-down-list of things I did, and how I started. And of course I'll post most more when I can. I hope this helps.

Firstly yes for model techniques; all of the metal details are done with splines in Max first, and then exported into Zbrush, and finished with the Curve tool. The Monster Face/Man Face/Tentacles where done with Zspheres. Also the Zbrush I am using is 4r2.

As a side note, I used Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellen as reference for the face. :D

Overall Scene Poly budget. 35,000 tris

Texture sizes: 2048x2048 (1024x1024 lamps, metal attachments)

Colored/Textured in Photoshop.

Zbrush Prep Work : Made 9 Zbrushed Alpha Brushes in total; 3 Rock types:

Lime Stone
    Concrete
    Hard Rock

6 detail Alpha brushes:

scratched rock
    damaged rock,
    chip damage,
    crack large
    crack split
    crack straight

1 Metal detail alpha.

Work Pipeline

Pillar:

Model 4 boxes in Max > bend modifier for tube shape > detailed 4 distinct bricks in Zbrush> applied cracks on finished duplicated bricks to help distract from the tiled look. Metal Rims are done in Zbrush with radial symmetry.

For the Bricks I mainly just used 3 different alphas layered with Morph target:

HardRock alpha for shape > limestone for medium detail > concrete for smaller detail > duplicate > cracks > finished. about 5-9 minutes per brick, only about 9 bricks in the entire scene.

Stairs:

Zbrush Box > Photoshop alpha/mask projection for smaller bits > Extracted Alpha Mask/Shadow Box; used standard Brush with Curve mode for larger details.

Stair Mantle > Model'd Mantle in Max > Zbrushed, and resized/shaped Monster face > Resized/shaped Posiedon Tentacles > applied stone damage to accent area around the monster face.

Metal details are duplicated, Mirrored, and adjusted from the details from the Pillar.

That pretty much covers how I do most of the assets, so again I hope that clears up some stuff up. (If not, please ask, and I'll go further into detail).
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Dang. This is really cool so far. Love the idea and the concept.

Some of the sculpts are real soft. Especially the brick. Seems like you're just adding random details or noise and it's making all the bricks real soft. Go with with flatten or hpolish and smooth some areas out to harden them up.

Also the copper metal and the bricks are real warm. Play around with doing some oxidized copper on some of the metal surfaces. It will bring in some cool colors and help balance things.

Looking forward to the rest of this.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Jeff, I read you. Do you know of any ways to apply the details in Zbrush without making the rocks appear soft?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a side note, verdigris is actually one of the oldest manufactured pigments - ancient Greeks would hang sheets of copper over hot vinegar, then scrape off the green crust. You kids today with your fancy color pickers! :P
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I would just say use hpolish or flatten or even trim dynamic over top after your detail are applied. Just be careful of overdoing that.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow amazing sculpts!
  • nksilver5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nksilver5 polycounter lvl 5
    Internship ? haha I'm looking for one too but dont have time with school project already :(

Dude, you'll get a job with that !

fuck yeah, following !
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Thank You! I appreciate it!
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jeff Parrot : Thanks man Sounds like plan. so ill refrain from over use in the future.

Oh yea, I remember your name! Since your here allow me to thank you for your wireframe video you posted. I know you posted it ages ago, but it certainly helped.

@ DWalker : The more you know right? those crazy greeks and their epicness.

@ NkSilver5 : Hah, thanks man. yea when I was in college I didn't have the time for an internship. But I regretted it. Trust me taking only 1 or 2 basic classes while getting an internship is worth it. A Company name (plus the experience that comes with it) on your resume far out weighs your grades in college.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, Here is Bronze Redo attempt 1.

Also found out that the lighting was making it too saturated and making it do brown. Darken some colors, and desaturated them a tad.

All right, so on the right path? ooor more green?

vsOLwWQ.jpg

Also here is a wire-frame of the Mantle. I'll throw out the rest as soon as I can figure out why UDK is bugging out on me.

7OBsSxQ.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I think that is absolutely perfect. You found a great marriage between the bronze color and the green. Fantastic work!
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    The green definitely echoes the theme of the piece.

It would be worth reducing the AO or tint it so it's isn't black as it's giving a sooty feel rather than minerals deposited over time.

Some ideas - not exactly reflective of the specific materials you're using though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonewalsh/with/950477749/#photo_950477749
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, this is pretty badass.
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    this is really good work, sub'd
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Thank you! no more bronze headaches. XD.

And i see what you are saying about the "soot" look. I'll go and fix that up. thanks again guys!
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Student huh?... :P
    Looks like incredible talent to me! D:

This is pretty amazing stuff man! I'am sure you could get a job with your skills if you go further like that!
    Your sculpting and texture work looks really awesome! I can't even dream about creating stuff like that!

I'am following this closely!
    Keep up the great work! :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really cool! Great work. I'd love to see your spline set up in 3ds max. Can we get a screenshot of that?
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) thanks guys!

And wow, I can't believe it, but I think I have actually saved over my old spline work. But not to worry!! It is pretty easy. So I made a quick example of how i started.

9CViLO1.jpg

You can see that the spline itself isn't very detailed or complex. once i got the spline were I wanted it; I converted to poly, then extruded, and moved verts around till I got what I needed(using Zbrush to tweek any weirdness). The whole process from start to zbrush took about an hour I think.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Looks really good, i like it :)
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Very nicely done. I love all the elaborate detail.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, that's really handy to see. Did you manually scale the verts where it gets thinner? Or is there some kind of voodoo spline magic you can use?
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea man, once i got them into that shape i just converted to editable poly, and just manually moved the verts, and shrunk them. Just start with a Helix Spline and the shapes pretty much work themselves into position.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using a bevel after the extrusion might help you automate the process - or at least get it started.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
  • Orfulk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good work !
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright Guys sorry for it being a little later then usual; I had some issues trying to get unreal to work. But here is the update for the Top half of the Building.

a lot of the Metal hasn't been hit with green because I wanted to push the metal more, and make it look better overall. So there is the update on that. Hopefully I can finish tweaking the random screw ups, the green oxydation, and the 3 remaining assets (possibly even the base) by either Friday, or next Saturday

I know there are no wire-frames to show, I am going on overdrive to get the last of the assets done, like the wall, and top metal railing details.

Enjoy.

oWjVVGf.jpg

dkLt6ij.jpg

33f67Lk.jpg
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, that looks brilliant! I think the only things you can improve are the colors of the diffusemap, it looks too brown overall.
    I dont know if it fits in your concept but maybe building in some greek architcture elements like trims, ornaments or these typical pillars would make it fit more in an architecture style assumed you want that.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man! But too brown? as in overall? or just the center of it? because if it is the whole thing then I think I have a problem with the colors on my monitor. Because if I make it any lighter it will be pure white. 0.o

Anyone else having this problem, of it still being too brown?

And is there an easy way to calibrate the colors of my monitor to be what other people see on average?
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    And is there an easy way to calibrate the colors of my monitor to be what other people see on average?

Don't go there :D You don't want to open this Pandora's Box :D