Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Fantasy Environment

R00
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
R00 polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone,

Just thought id start a thread for a project I've been working on recently.I'm at a point now where I feel that this project is heading in the right direction. I'm creating a Medieval / Fantasy scene with the building as the focal point. I'm a big fan of Vigil (They will be missed) and Blizzards art style, so I set out to create a scene which incorporated both of these styles.

This is my first attempt at this style and I really want to push my artistic boundaries, so any advice is golden :)

My goals!

*Improve my knowledge and skills using Cryengine.
*Brush up on my Sculpting and texturing. (especially hand painted textures).

Where I am currently at:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJxHSHnrCjk"]CE3 Fantasy Building - YouTube[/ame]
Capture-48_zps0b1f2a82.jpg

Capture-48_zps22c2aed6.jpg

here are some reference images I've gathered.

reference_zps87ad9b38.jpg

Replies

• Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Rotate that texture 180 degrees, it looks like it's lit from the bottom, which will conflict with your sun.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what Harbinger said - or maybe even better - take the light information out of the texture and paint a heightmap instead, which you convert to a normal map (easier approach if you want to keep everything truly handpainted).
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    There are to many straight lines, maybe you should break some of them up and give the silhouette a little more curvyness (since you mentioned you wanted to go into the virgil and blizzard style direction! Plus your refs do use curves as well)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Updates!!

So since the last post I've scrapped the model and redesigned it to add more visual interest. Still struggling with the 'bendiness' of the beams. I'm now hand painting some small assets, as I've never done anything hand painted before. :)

Capture-48_zpsa364d550.jpg

Capture1-15_zps4c48ae48.jpg
  • pjl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pjl
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all! Here's a pub sign I've been working on :D

Sign_zps1469dc1f.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Sign looks good but you need to fix that greentooth. It looks like the wood is just tinted green as opposed to it being painted on. Get some texture into that paint and make it look as if it is actually painted and not thrown on an overlay layer.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Your big shapes are cool. I really feel like you could push some silhouette on things though.

You only have large shapes at this point and lacking the medium/small forms.

Textures are blocked out but lacking any depth really.

The color work in the textures is lacking making them read as rather monotone. Add additional hues in with bounce lighting, warm/cool balance, things like that.

Also sharpen up the textures some.

Also angle the greentooth to match the angle of the sign, not the world up direction.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey all! Sorry for the delayed update.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this style of building and I feel it is starting to take form. I really need to start working on the foliage and terrain next as well as the roof (which looks like a ball buster).

Props which need to be added:

Towel / clothes hanging out of the window.
    Door Mat.
    Another Pub sign with the pub name; Was thinking either 'Polycount Retreat' or 'Greentooth Inn', I'm open to suggestions :) .
    plants.
    Windows.
    Support for the floating stairs so they're not floating.
    Pipes from the large keg, to feed into the wall.

Capture1-15_zps0f27f39c.jpg

Capture-48_zpse641b6ee.jpg

Capture2-8_zps67dd7dfd.jpg

Capture3-2_zps0e9f8818.jpg

crit and comments are welcome as always. Only have a month to wrap this baby up, but I will be tweaking it once handed in.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    I feel bad that I didn't update this thread as much as I wanted too. I had to turn this around quick so updates were put on the back burner.

Capture-48_zps0b1f2a82.jpg

Capture-48_zps22c2aed6.jpg

here's a quick bit of footage for you all.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJxHSHnrCjk"]CE3 Fantasy Building - YouTube[/ame]

I'll post more on my next project :)