Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Chronomancer

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
justinbett polycounter lvl 3
I decided to start up another character for my portfolio. Being a big fan of the Guild Wars series, I've always been interested in their unreleased expansion "Utopia". Loving the artwork of what could have been a amazing profession to play, I decided to make a my own game model of the Chronomancer.

Here are some of the concept art I gathered as reference, circled with some of the pieces of armor I really liked.

Chronomancer_Ref_Sheet.jpg

I've been working on this for about a day and a half, and this is where I'm at. This is my first time working with/on hard surface armor, and any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Chrono1.jpg

Replies

• justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The High-poly sculpt is complete, going to spend a little more time with tiny details, and off to texture.

ewrety.png
  • justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About 3/4's of the way to the completed Low-Poly game mesh. It's sitting at 4,519 tris.

With school getting in the way, I haven't touched this since March 10th. I'll be continuing and completing this through the weekend, giving me a 4-5 day completion span.

afdsgh.png
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    The concepts for Utopia are amazing :D
    Your sculpt looks good, but personally i would define the edges of the armor more, right now it looks a bit like a shirt with armor painted onto it :D
  • justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon wrote: »
    The concepts for Utopia are amazing :D
    Your sculpt looks good, but personally i would define the edges of the armor more, right now it looks a bit like a shirt with armor painted onto it :D

Thanks for the advice! I was getting a very similar vibe when transferring it to the low poly. I was kinda hoping the normals would make it pop a little. Since I'm doing pretty well on the poly count, near finishing, I may extrude some polys to make it stand out a little more.

Edit: I do still have to bake out the AO and add tiny details to the texture. I guess I should see how that turns out before increasing polycount. :)
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    hey Justin, not a bad start but I think you could benefit by going back and creating a better female base. What makes Guild Wars females attractive (to me) is their subtle stylization and elongation, yours is looking a bit squatty. It looks like youre comfortable enough in zbrush to get this to turn out great, spend a little more time on the female base!

In this link, just click a blue link for an armor set, and then click male or female to get some pretty decent imageplanes to model from. For this I recommend the elementalist!
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art

Keep Going!
  • justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory wrote: »
    hey Justin, not a bad start but I think you could benefit by going back and creating a better female base. What makes Guild Wars females attractive (to me) is their subtle stylization and elongation, yours is looking a bit squatty. It looks like youre comfortable enough in zbrush to get this to turn out great, spend a little more time on the female base!

In this link, just click a blue link for an armor set, and then click male or female to get some pretty decent imageplanes to model from. For this I recommend the elementalist!

Keep Going!

Thanks Memory! Haha, good ol' Guild Wars wiki. I never knew they had decent image planes though! Guess we learn something new every day. :)

You're actually not the first one to say that too! My prof recently told me to start making base meshes for both male and female. That will definitely be my next task. I've been making a new base every character made, just to get use to Zbrush, and get a better grip on human anatomy.

Thanks again! :D
  • justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory wrote: »

Keep Going!

Thanks Memory! Haha, good ol' Guild Wars wiki. I never knew they had decent image planes though! Guess we learn something new every day. :)

You're actually not the first one to say that too! My prof recently told me to start making base meshes for both male and female. That will definitely be my next task. I've been making a new base every character made, just to get use to Zbrush, and get a better grip on human anatomy.

Thanks again! :D
  • justinbett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Cool, double posts of the same thing.

Anyways, I've completed my character! Here's a rotation reel. It was rendered in Unity.

I'll be posting some beauty shots shortly, as for now, I need a bit of a break. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3uywP91HtM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3uywP91HtM[/ame]

Edit: Re-uploading the video. :D
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Your final model looks pretty good especially for the low polycount :D
    Only thing you could improve would be the specularity on his armor, it doesn't look like metal right now, more like some kind of rubber :D But still, pretty nice work :thumbup: