[Update: Final Shots]
Escape_PB_Final_4.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_1.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_2.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_3.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_5.jpg

Escape_PB_tech_environment_1.jpg

Hi all,
we'd like to enter this contest with an iconic escape scene like you can see it in nearly every Vietnam movie.
An UH-1 (Huey) Helicopter hovers over a field taking up the fleeing and wounded soldiers that are still under fire that comes from the Vietcong from the jungle.

Here are some example photos. which in no means resemble the final outcome. The final scene should incorporate much more drama and motion.
a detailed description and a scribble for the scene layout will be posted later.
Bruce_Crandall_%26_Ed_Freeman_fly_rescue_mission_in_Vietnam.jpg
Huey%20Vietnam%202.jpg
img0034.png
img0031.png

Currently the Team consist of 5 members, which are

Andreas Menkhoff
Paul Springfeld
Sonja Schomaker
Sascha Henrichs
Victor Karp

Replies

• T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    So my girlfriend yste[M] and I are responsible for the characters. We started gathering references and most of them are from some well known movies.

001_refs.jpg

And some references for the equipment and uniform:
    http://david.brubakers.us/Vietnam/index.html
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    we are pleased to welcome "Victor Karp" to our team!

so here are the nicks for all team members:

Victor - Sersch
    Andreas - T.Bull
    Sonja - yste[M]
    Paul - N/A yet
    Sascha - aphexx
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    scene setting and description of our vietnam scene:

the main plot of this scene describes the evacuation of american soldiers under enemy gunfire, from an open field, that is surrounded by jungle and mountains somewhere in vietnam.

so it is the soldiers escape from the jungle frontline.
    the soldiers will be rescued by a huey (UH-1) helcopter, that hovers very low above the ground of a grassy field.
    for creating motion, the copter should be tilted in some direction, like you can see in this reference
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Bruce_Crandall_%26_Ed_Freeman_fly_rescue_mission_in_Vietnam.jpg
    the surrounding jungle landscape should be like in this picture
    http://davidlazarphoto.com/amp/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/24-David-Lazar-Deep-Forest.jpg
    the soldiers will still be under attack, which is represented by muzzlefire that blasts out of different regions of the jungle.
    all in all there will be 5 escaping soldiers.
    one already in the helicopter giving a helping hand.
    one on the ground in front of the heli carrying a wounded soldier on his shoulders.
    one soldier is ~5 meters away, crouching and firing back into the jungle giving cover.
    and one soldier that was also giving cover, but is being hit by a bullet and is pushed back by the impact, being midair for the screenshot.
    the scene should illustrate a lot of motion and the drama of the moment, by also directly showing that is an ongoing escape from a critical situation.
    the viewer should understand the topic of an urgent escape within a blink of an eye

technology:
    after we now got the permission from the polycount staff and the managment of our company, we can tell, that we use our Piranha-Bytes inhouse 3D realtime engine, named "Genome" Engine; which is currently only used for our 3rd person role playing games and is not public. anyway, you will screenshot of this engine also in our thread.

the scene will incorporate a lot of freezed particle effects like dust clouds, muzzle fire, distance volumetric fog and dirt flying around. we will also make use of our advanced realtime daylightsystem. so there won't be any baked lightmaps. since our engine doesn't support these.

the team:

the team consists of 5 people which are all but one working at Piranha Bytes.

Victor - Sersch
    Andreas - T.Bull
    Sonja - yste[M]
    Paul - N/A yet
    Sascha - aphexx

projectplanning and current todo's:
    the complete scene can be broken down into 5 main subjects

• 2 soldier meshes with armor, also head variations and face expressions: sonja, andreas
    • 1 helicopter: victor
    • 2 weapons: (M16 and Helicopter machinegun) paul
    • complete environment: (landscape, trees, rocks, grasses) sascha
    • engine integration, staging, VFX, lighting, weather, screenshots: all of us

also there is a concept picture in the making, which should show the rough staging of the scene.
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    concept collage
    this one is a rough staging of the scene. it's thrown together and the final result should involve much more motion and environment goodness and FEEEEELS ;)
    copter_scene.jpg
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    We decided to add vietcong-fighrers to the scene and splitted up the work.
    Sonja will continue working on the marine characters while I will make a vietcong.
    I started with gathering references
    002_vietcong_refs.jpg

and continued with a base mesh for basic proportion:
    003_basemesh.jpg

Here's her porgress on a marine-head:
    004_marinehead.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    i searched the net for some good and raw foliage material. i will crop these later on and use these textures on lowpoly brushmeshes.
    for the terraintextures, i browsed cgtextures and searched for some reddish and grassy grounds. i only download the untiled versions to make them tileable on my own.
    also i mixed some maps in order to match our ground-needs.
    actually we need only 3 different ground textures. - one grass/soil mix - one grass - one forest ground. but actually i made 5 grounds and will see, which one of these will be useful to us. the normalmaps will be done in a next step
    the rock texture is only for the distance rocks. for closeup rocks, we will bake out some unique mapped stones.

Raw_Images_For_Foliage.jpg

Raw_Images_For_Terrain.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good Sascha! That scene from Platoon, with the guy running from dozens and dozens of VC is almost stereotypically epic.

You'll be competing with Sarah, Tille, Mischel, Svenja and myself for the crown then (our superduper exciting idea will be revealed sometime soon!) ;-)

Jens
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    oh jens...hopefully my lectures did their job well and severely stalled all your progress in game art for the next 10 years!
    otherwise i am forced to stop our competition now, since we would have no chance against you...
    haha just kiddin' sry, nice try.. you will loose, we will win but good that you try your best. that's the sprit! (*mad laughter*) ;D
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ..the battle begins! ;)
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    I love military stuff, so I'm definitely excited to see what you guys come up with, you have some good reference too so it should look pretty accurate! Definitely keeping my eye on this one! Good luck guys!
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    here i tested the main ground mat and the rock material in our engine.
    rock_1.jpg
    ground_2.jpg
    ground_1.jpg
    rock_2.jpg

the ground also has a blurry offset map as you can see. these maps work best, when they are very blurry. at least for terrain:
    TR_Nat_Ground_8_Ht.jpg
    the normalmap was just converted via the nDo script into a normalmap.

i tried to sculpt the bulges of the rock in mudbox and overlay the rest with a diffuse extracted normal. but that was a complete fail. it came out waaaaaay to hard..but i did it in a rush. it needs more love, then it will turn out ok

sculpting_tilables_2.jpg
    sculpting_tilables_3.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    an update.
    i finally set up the engine scene with the landscape, new materials and started a weather
    also i tried a first grass brush.
    the ground materials all have a full parallax shader and the rocks are blended box mapped
    this update was a milestone for me, since it was quite an act, to duplicate our engine workspace in another network place. but it works beside some weird shader bugs every now an then. but we'll work around this.
    landscape_inengine_1.jpg

here some of the textures. the landscape textures are all 2048
    the brush is currently 1024x512
    might be reduced.
    BR_Nat_Grass_1_Df.jpg

TR_Nat_Ground_Grass_2_Df.jpg

TR_Nat_Ground_Grass_1_Df.jpg

hopefully my teammates will post their progress soon.
  • Sersch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sersch polycounter lvl 4
    I've been collecting reference images and started to block out the chopper.

polycountheli9aj1h.jpg
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's update-time...
    Got me a SSD a few days ago and had to set up my system which means there is not that much progress.
    Anyways, here we go:
    Seperated the head from the body and blocked out base shirt and pants.
    005_vietcong_progress.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    go Piranha Bytes! love that studio.

i'll be very interested to see what yall produce.
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, here is a first tree of the rainforest.
    it's a speedtree with a bit higher poly and texture counts than in current games.
    would be not difficult to reduce the polycount though.
    the shots are out of speedtree. the tree is not implemented into the engine yet.
    all textures and speedtree geo is from scratch. the raw texture material is from teh internets though.
    i used the bark detailmap even on the palm fronds, which blend them nicely into the bark.

Palm_1.jpg

Palm_1_2.jpg
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on the marine soldier my girlfriend is working on:
    006_soldier_01.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    nice soldier, sonja! exactly the physique i hoped for!
    here's also another update from me:

landscape_inengine_2.jpg

i just brought the tree and 9 derivates of bend and small variations into the engine.
    i also made a huge..well..giant bush, as a fill object. i will present this speedtree seperately when i made custom textures for it. currently i used the standard speedtree textures for it to have a quick peek how it could look in the end.
    the terrain makes some trouble currently, since i cannot color it with vertexcolors. therefore it is too bright. this will be fixed later.
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    update form paul, who seems to be kind of forumphob..he asked me to update this thread for him.
    he works on the early version of the m16, which was used as a main weapon in the vietnam war.
    currently only highpoly stuff. it's a screengrab out of max.

m16_3.jpg
  • Sersch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sersch polycounter lvl 4
    Choppertime! Have been working on the rear rotor and merged all other parts except for the rear wings. The next part will be the main rotor.
    heli202qqc.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a roundup of all things i done in the last week. some new speedtrees. a new and better weather setting, some motionblur debris, and a dirty dummy helicopter from victor, with a dummy texture on it, place into a reworked environment.

but first things first. here you see the current outcome in two perspectives and one different daytime.

whole_scene_front_2.jpg
    whole_scene_1.jpg
    whole_scene_front_1.jpg

i tried to match the colorscheme from old original photos from back in the day.
    i overused the filmic tonemapping from our engine here and gave it a heavier toe. so that the blacks are really saturated. then i tried to use mood colors and other stuff our weather editor comes with. pretty complicated to set a good weather. there are about ~90 setting to take care of ;)
    i'm still not there. the greens are too yellow. but i'll take care of it later.

landscape_inengine_3.jpg

here are the compiled speedtree altlases with all textures i made for this scene.
    now all leaf material is 100% from me and brandnew. only the frondstwigs need to be exchanged later. they are still from the speedtree library.

ST_Atlas_13_DfA.jpg
    ST_Atlas_14_DfA.jpg

since we have to submit stills, i made motionblurred decals that are floating midair in the scene, all around the helicopter.

environment_debris.jpg

here are all brandnew barks and the floaters.

bark_textures.jpg

finally a small update on the grounds. i tried to make them a bit darker. and with more variety.

environment_grass_bush.jpg

environment_grass_flat.jpg

this is a groundtexture with flattened grass. very good to use around the helicopter. i set up a parallax shader for all grounds, and when the sun shines in a low angle to it. it turns out to work well enough.

environment_groundtexture.jpg

here the best bark in action.

environment_treebark.jpg

here are all new speedtrees. a liana, the palm versions, and a new bambus plant

environment_palmsbambus.jpg

the liana in action. it has a pixelstrechy bark currently. needs to be fixed.

environment_treez_2.jpg

here are new broadleaf trees, with new leaf textures and barks.

environment_treez_broadleaves.jpg

see the bambus bark in action. this bark has a detail texture at ground level.

environment_treez_1.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    here some other angle

whole_scene_2.jpg

whole_scene_3.jpg

geez. the whole scene took me a full night to assemble. luckily we use our own engine and all tasks are very familiar.
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    Well...yeah...
    marine_walk.gif
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    oh great andi. he definitely seems to be a victim of chemical warfare... derp,derp,derp ;)
  • RogerP
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post.
    I started to blockout the clothing and puches and added some basic foldes.
    007_trashyrauspgepustet.jpg
    It's Something
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    not much to show, but tonight i made some windy grassclumps. one with pressed down blades and one with more upstraight blades.
    we have to create extra meshes for these, since our engine is not able to blow those aside.
    anyway, i chose to use single blades without any alpha. one cluster has 400 tris in lod 1. there is also a lod stage 2 with ~100 tris each that blend in after 10 meters.
    there are ~50 entities placed, which makes a total of 20000 tris if all were seen in lod1, which is not the case.

grassclumps_2.jpg

the different colors are achieved by an object color switch. so the diffuse is nearly grey.

here the geometry of both. the other one is only standing more up.
    grassclumps_1.jpg
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Sascha I would like to give you advice how to upgrade your transparent textures. You can use free fotoshop plugins from Flamingpear. Especially solidify filters A, B or C. It will make transparent pixels color of most closest opaque one and will greatly enhance mipmaps generation and remove edge hallo from uniform BG color of leaf texture.
    This tip generally apply for all textures that utilize alpha channel.
    Cheers. :)
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: thanks man, i will absolutly try this. besides this i mostly use the pencil tool instead of brush, when cropping leaf structures. nevertheless, anytime those parts being scaled or transformed, all those hard edges become messed up. so thank you!
  • ziikutv
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    I agree foliage looks good.
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    long time no see..i just painted the highpoly of the branch i planned to do.
    in the shots you see the basemesh, then the sculpt, and then some pics of the painted highpoly.
    small bumps will be extracted out of the baked diffuse
    a new stone will also be made. but that comes later.

here the branch WIP
    basemesh.jpg

sculpt2.png

paint1.png

paint2.png

paint3.png

paint4.png
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    wow that looks great :)
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you jody!
    i just pumped out another treeprop in an amazing ~3 hours from basemesh to painted highpoly. (it looks more time consuming than it really is :D ) should resemble an exploded treetrunk, like hit by a grenade or something.
    a pity that i got no matching top for it :(
    currently i'm on the uv mapping of the lowpoly branch
    mapping of organic pieces like jagged stones or trees is a mess and takes ages..i must find a better workflow for that..
    the highpolies are done in mudbox and painted also there with ptex
    3ainttrunk2.png

painttrunk1.png

painttrunk2.png

painttrunk4.png

trunkbase.jpg
  • T.Bull
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    asset galore today. good progress on the chars guys and gals! i cannot wait to see them finished!
    perhaps we can really make it before the 12th!

an update on the highpoly m16 came from paul. i have to post it, since he is not willing to post on the forums..lol. finally he finished the highpoly. i'm especially impressed by his rifle. looks very kewl imo.

m16_1.jpg

m16_2.jpg

also i got the baked and mapped lowpoly version of the branch:
    it has 1606 triangles and 1 diffuse and 1 normalmap 2048
    i should consider using some alphas or some detail geometry for the cracked ends

branchlowbaked1.jpg

branchlowbaked2.jpg

the uv layout for the branch
    uvlow1.jpg

branchlowwire.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    small update:
    m16 final textured and in engine
    m16_inengine.jpg
  • Sersch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sersch polycounter lvl 4
    And finally the huey. The lowpoly has 7002 tris, AO and normal map are baked from the high poly. One of the doors will be open in the final scene.

huey2dcu79.jpghuey19ruk7.jpg
    huey3imucv.jpg
  • Sersch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sersch polycounter lvl 4
    I've been working one the textures today, thats how the chopper looks so far:

huey1mtumg.jpg
    huey2s9u16.jpg
    huey3muu44.jpg
    huey4bsug7.jpg

I haven't touched the windows yet. And there's still missing some dirt :)
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the last crunch update.
    we are still sitting on some VFX and the final soldier mesh with posing. but as far as we know, there are still some hours to go.
    so far, here the new AK47 fully baked and painted and the poses of the fully baked an textured vietcong
    also a small scene update
    ak_3+(1).jpg

vietcong_poses.jpg

i made one stone for the scene and also some background hills, which are basically alpha test textures on a displaced plane. i also added some VFX. more of the VFX is to come for the final scene.
    sceneupdate_1.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    see our new vietcong in action!
    sceneupdate_2.jpg

sceneupdate_3.jpg
  • moondog760
    Love it! can't wait to see the final shots.
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    Here the tech-shots for the marine and the vietcong.
    marine_techshot_01.jpg

vietcong_techshot_01.jpg
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys. we finally made it to the final posting..
    we submitted 5 minutes before closing of the submission thread.
    therefore some detail techshots are not available in the final posting.
    you can see them here.
    but first the final pics. these are also as an update in the first posting of this thread.

Escape_PB_Final_1.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_2.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_3.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_4.jpg

Escape_PB_Final_5.jpg

since andi already posted the character tech shots, i'll only post the environment tech shot here, since they are missing in the final posting.

first a wireframe of the scene
    Escape_PB_tech_environment_1.jpg

now the main objects
    Escape_PB_tech_environment_2.jpg

Escape_PB_tech_environment_4.jpg

Escape_PB_tech_environment_3.jpg

that's it. if you want to see more, just ask.
    thank you for watching this post!
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    there is now a video which shows the scene in our editor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0lZZDqS4ho"]Polycount Escape Challenge - Team Piranha Bytes - Vietnam - YouTube[/ame]

we didn't put any effort into the moving parts of this scene, like particle effects or wind.
    therefore the wind in this scene is much too fast and comic like.
    this video has also some problems with the grasses, which flicker in the distance. that is because in our editor, the antialiasing is not enabled, as also we have an unsolved mipmapping issue with the grasses.
    the scene is also not very optimized for performance as you can see in the stats in the footage.
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine and vietcong with their weapons.
    Rendered with the trial version of marmoset xD

010_soldier.jpg

011_vietcong.jpg
  • .patient
    Great stuff!
    I love the motion blurred decals, nice idea that gives the scene a dynamic feeling.
    Also thank you for the great documentation about your work and workflow. Was interesting to read.

Cheers
  • Uvee
    Cool stuff Guys. Go ahead.
  • aphexx
    Offline / Send Message
    thx danny and uwe!
    i will make a tutorial un the sculpting workflow for broken wood.
    i'll post it on FB when i'm ready
  • ThatsMeTwitchy
    Hey, The Project looks very good would love to see it go along, if you'd ever need any help! im your aussie!!

Cheers And Goodluck

Hayden