Home Contests & Challenges Archives

the ESCAPE - [ctrl] + [esc] - [ctrl]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
3shold polycounter lvl 7
EDIT: We got a concept artist!

Story:

It's 2274. Monumental breakthroughs in technology have thrust our species into a new era of cultural understanding. Such breakthroughs, however are not without consequences. Earth's natural resources have been depleted. Overpopulation in an inescapable plight. Life for humans is harder now than it has ever been. But worry no longer. There is reprieve.

There is [ctrl] + [esc]

[ctrl] + [esc] is a company that is on the forefront of perceptional reality or PR. They create the most immersive sensory experiences available with current technology. Accepted candidates are given an opportunity to beguile all of their senses in a world completely of their own design.

Escape to your own reality with [ctrl] + [esc]

Today we're going behind closed doors to witness a PR session in progress.

Moodsheet:
Moodsheet.jpg

[ctrl] is:
3shold
HaZe
chaseingames
ShugaRush
Alfred Manzano

Replies

• Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    epic, brilliant take on escape :)
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks. Now it's time to concept!
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Impala88 wrote: »
    epic, brilliant take on escape :)

and btw, some of your work has proven inspirational and referential.

soo... thanks for that.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    This is a FANTASTIC idea! this makes me think of Total recall (the good version) crossed with The Matrix ...... except better. really keen to see some more please.
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    duncan wrote: »
    This is a FANTASTIC idea! this makes me think of Total recall (the good version) crossed with The Matrix ...... except better. really keen to see some more please.

Thanks. That was EXCATLY the thing we were going for! Should have some stuff up soon. I'm in concept mode now.
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Okaaaay! So there have been a whole lot things happening with the group that meant we had to put this on the backburner for a while. But [ctrl] is back. This is going to be a pretty image heavy upload but here it goes anyway. ( dont say I didn't warn you o.< )

Here's one of our main characters: Lily
    Lily1.jpg

Lily is the young woman who will be conveyed in reality and in fantasy. HaZe is taking the reigns on her and bringing her to life. Juxtaposition between the reality and fantasy worlds is a very important design element for this project. On the left, she is conveyed in a light summery sundress and on the right is her technical and conforming body suit. The suit will help her interface into the [ctrl]+[esc] PR Unit and allow her mind and senses to create and experience the world we will be monitoring.

Next up: Allen
    Allen1.jpg

Allen is [ctrl]+[esc]'s lead scientific advisor. The PR technology we use is of his own design and operation. He trains all the [ctrl]+[esc] technicians in its use. He chose Lily for this test, personally. His uniform was designed to fit within the world of reality. He dresses similarly to the lower ranking advisors. However, his rank is vividly displayed as he is proud of his achievements. He can normally be seen with his c-board and interfacing visor. ShugaRush will be modeling and texturing Allen for this project. He is working in collaboration with Alfred Manzano doing concepts.

Uniform Concepts
    uniform1.jpg

These are the concepts done by Alfred Manzano for the [ctrl+[esc] uniform designs. These are used for Allen and the lower advisors in the [ctrl]+[esc] PR room.

PR Interface concepts
    chair1.jpg

These are the many interface concepts we went through to get our final design. The final design will be uploaded a bit later.

Wall Concepts
    wall1.jpg

This is an early concept of the wall lighting and door technology. I wanted to keep this theme throughout the PR room. I wanted (still want) to have recessed lighting as the main lighting elements. This concept is me playing with that idea.

Last but definitely not least: The Hologram projection
    Hologram1.jpg
    Hologram2.jpg

This hologram is the bridge between the two worlds created. I wanted to create a hologram that displays the PR environment (summer meadow) in 360º AND has correct (or near correct) perspective. To make like harder for poor chaseingames, our shader and FX artist, I wanted the projection to be in realtime. Think of this like a 360º window to the PR world. Surprisingly enough, he was able to make it work. This is a base version of his shader. Once completed, this will literally let us see into an environment within an environment.

That's it for this update. We've been a little distracted, but look forward to many more updates (with a lot less time between them).

/[ c t r l ]