Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hand painted tent

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
shrogg polycounter lvl 12
After seeing a bunch of really inspirational threads here I decided to get around to doing something myself, so today i painted this tent.
this is my first proper go at hand painting anything significant so I would love some criticism on this piece so that i can make it more presentable.

Its a low poly tent/hut thing if you couldn't tell :)

Latest update:
qQTqFq9.png

jv0niif.png

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Look sweet so far.
    I'd improve the wood thats directly on the tent (connecting the cloth) and to be true, I first didn't recognize the door and ask myself "eh? where to enter?!"
    Maybe do it out of a diffrent colored clothpiece (like completly blue)
    And maybe you could add another wooden beam holding the cloth up, but a horizontal one between the two vertical ones.

I'm looking forward to see more progress.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Look sweet so far.
    I'd improve the wood thats directly on the tent (connecting the cloth) and to be true, I first didn't recognize the door and ask myself "eh? where to enter?!"
    Maybe do it out of a diffrent colored clothpiece (like completly blue)
    And maybe you could add another wooden beam holding the cloth up, but a horizontal one between the two vertical ones.

I'm looking forward to see more progress.

Thanks for the crit!

The wood texture isn't actually anything much more than a few brush strokes right now (currently reading up on how to get a good looking wood texture)
    Another reason why that wood looked so bad was due to the vertex colors being entirely black (not too sure how that happened)

Here is the texture in its current form, I'm open to any sort of review as to how i have laid out my UVs (although there isn't much in this scene so that's not really a big issue as far as I can tell)

GW4QDXD.jpg

Thanks again!
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    The thick wooden posts just don't make sense. Tents are designed to be quick-to-assemble mobile housing. I could almost buy it if the tent were bigger and the cloth draped over a wooden frame, but for a small structure like this there's just no point.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb wrote: »
    The thick wooden posts just don't make sense. Tents are designed to be quick-to-assemble mobile housing. I could almost buy it if the tent were bigger and the cloth draped over a wooden frame, but for a small structure like this there's just no point.

Yeah, I agree %100.
    This model started out as some sort of goblin shop, but i then realized i had concept art drawn up for a tent and never got around to changing them.

Anyway, heres an update :)
    qQTqFq9.png

I also painted a fern texture today
    4lMrnQt.png
    CPNOSut.png
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cartoon style i love that thumbs up!
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a bunch of rocks and threw them into, what is now turning into a scene.
    I may finish up the door texture then start work on something that I have been thinking about for a while, although I'm not sure i want to commit myself to a large project without more practice.
    dC4TRji.png
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cute, I like the fern! I think the upper part of the woodbeam is a little to dark, seems almost black to me, looks like it has seen some fire, hehe.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    Looks cute, I like the fern! I think the upper part of the woodbeam is a little to dark, seems almost black to me, looks like it has seen some fire, hehe.

Oops haha, How did I not catch that one... Well its fixed now (Vertex color occlusion bake must of done something funny)
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the last 10 minutes making a small camp fire, I could probably reduce the polycount somewhat, but it looks alright for what it is.
    kxNOsFf.png
    The texture could use some work
    FIaZISc.png
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any decent guides on painting wood? For example, a crate.
    tw8XnrI.png
    I have that currently, but I'm unsure as to how i would go about highlights.

Cheers
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to finish the crate texture today
    b0GCLWp.png
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    How do you get in the tent, the door looks like it's stitched to the rest of it? :0

As far as your question about highlights, just think about where the lighting is coming from. If from the top, then you would paint all top-facing planes a little brighter, and all down-facing ones in shadow. Currently your planks have no lighting! Same with your campfire stones, and how come the ends of the logs are so dark?

Keep it up though, a little camping scene could be cute! ^^
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The roof seems overcomplicated. A more stacked, layered leather that show more shape conture from the supports below.

ftiw, here's a orc hut roof leather I painted for warhammer. It displays most of those concepts. The four corners has wood supports below them.
    http://chrisholden.net/gallery/pages/at_leathers01.htm
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you get in the tent, the door looks like it's stitched to the rest of it? :0

As far as your question about highlights, just think about where the lighting is coming from. If from the top, then you would paint all top-facing planes a little brighter, and all down-facing ones in shadow. Currently your planks have no lighting! Same with your campfire stones, and how come the ends of the logs are so dark?

Keep it up though, a little camping scene could be cute! ^^

Thanks for the crits Jessica! Your scene was actually one of the reasons i wanted to try out hand painting :)

I'm still planning out how to do the door (have a nice little research folder going atm)
    I think i may remove it altogether and fill out the empty space by making a few things like a backpack, bed roll and sheet for the bed.
    As for the campfire, The ends of the logs are black because i am (hopefully) going to be adding some particles to them and clean wood would look weird burning... :P
    cholden wrote: »
    The roof seems overcomplicated. A more stacked, layered leather that show more shape conture from the supports below.

ftiw, here's a orc hut roof leather I painted for warhammer. It displays most of those concepts. The four corners has wood supports below them.
    http://chrisholden.net/gallery/pages/at_leathers01.htm

Oh wow, that's an awesome texture!
    When i originally laid my roof out i had no intention of it being leather, but it just slowly drifted towards that look.
    Now that I compare it with yours, My interpretation of this patchwork leather does seem rather complicated,
    I think that I may shape the patches on it to look more like a skinned animal, or even drop the leather look altogether and make it more like canvas as the red cloth tent beneath it probably won't look right with a full-on leather roof.

Again, Thanks for the crits!