Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Stylized Lab Scene

penE
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
penE polycounter lvl 7
Figured I should create an own thread for this one :).
It's a stylized scene, inside of a mysterious, dusty lab.

What I've got so far:

iWkwtHE.jpg

mXe4Qgr.jpg

oMifeMX.jpg

Some of the textures:

EbBrvDG.jpg

0DOUmnb.jpg

fJLH1in.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear what you think about it :).

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Damn! Really dig those textures, awesome!
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Cool looking textures man, looks like something out a comic book :) I also like that portal shot
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Great, glad you like it :D.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice! do textures use specular any normal maps? they seem to be reacting to the light in ways that diffuse-only textures can't. unless it's some illusion.

i gotta say that i'm not sure what's the wall supposed to be made of though. it's too red to be concrete, too contineous to be bricks and too smooth to be wood.
  • mats effect
    Really liking the textures. Very nice style and details. Nice work :)
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    nice! do textures use specular any normal maps? they seem to be reacting to the light in ways that diffuse-only textures can't. unless it's some illusion.

i gotta say that i'm not sure what's the wall supposed to be made of though. it's too red to be concrete, too contineous to be bricks and too smooth to be wood.

Yeah, I've had my issues with that one.
    It's supposed to be painted concrete. I've actually tried to make it more concrete-ish a bunch of times, but it only resulted in too much high frequency details. Nevertheless, I should give it another try :).

I've got normals and speculars for most of the textures, e.g. thats the one for the concretewall:

Uq1Ob0Q.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    I dig this a lot. I will be watching this progress.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    At first glance it came across as a very "Dishonored" style, but upon closer inspection this is something all it's own. Very cool.
  • PixelSuit
    Really nice work penE, loving the textures, especially that wood (both ceiling and wall!)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice stuff here. The texture work is pretty cool.

The environment could use a block out pass of just moving and putting things around. Keep it up!
  • enoki
    Offline / Send Message
    enoki polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome style, and it's looking great so far. I too was confused about what material the wall was made out of. I thought it was wood at first, but the cracks didn't look right if it was wood. If it's supposed to be concrete, maybe you could show more indication of the material by giving it some additional "porous" surface detail that even smooth concrete has but in subtle amounts to avoid the noise issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to make the normal maps?
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice stuff here. The texture work is pretty cool.

The environment could use a block out pass of just moving and putting things around. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback!, yeah you're right, I've just been doing prop after prop and threw it into the engine one after another, with no real "masterplan" in mind. But now that I already have a bunch of content I also feel that it's time for a more solid layout and composition.
    enoki wrote: »
    Awesome style, and it's looking great so far. I too was confused about what material the wall was made out of. I thought it was wood at first, but the cracks didn't look right if it was wood. If it's supposed to be concrete, maybe you could show more indication of the material by giving it some additional "porous" surface detail that even smooth concrete has but in subtle amounts to avoid the noise issue.

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to make the normal maps?

For some I did a ZBrush sculpt, for some details I used NDo or Crazybump.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Seeming as everyone is melting over your textures I'm going to talk about your layout!
    The way your roof is set out it will collaps. Don't get me wrong it looks good but does not make sense. You need a load bearing beam to run though the middle and then have supports holding that up.

This will add a lot more depth and detail. I know your not going for the real look but if you wereto play a game that had a floating house with no context behind it, it makes no sense no?

Looks great though!
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    Like what you have so far. I agree with JoshVanZuylen some type of support for the roof will help the scene sell it a bit more. I'm guessing you'll be adding those in the block out. But as of right now its looking really good. Textures are really nice. It gives me a TF2 vibe to the scene. Keep it up.

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    wow :D the wood almost looks like dishonored texture style
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Seeming as everyone is melting over your textures I'm going to talk about your layout!
    The way your roof is set out it will collaps. Don't get me wrong it looks good but does not make sense. You need a load bearing beam to run though the middle and then have supports holding that up.

This will add a lot more depth and detail. I know your not going for the real look but if you wereto play a game that had a floating house with no context behind it, it makes no sense no?

Looks great though!

Damn, haven't thought of that haha. Will be fixed soon! :)

I should mention that the initial idea for the scene came from that concept art right here, but I might go in a slightly different direction with the scene:

qUrJTz3.jpg

The concept artist is Pascal Casolari.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet. Love the style you've got going.
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Haha, material definition gone WRROONG! :D. Actually the red wood walls are supposed to be concrete. I guess that means back into Photoshop with that one!
  • mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, that's an amazing art-style you have got going on. So clean and crisp. However, I also thought the red wall textures was supposed to be wood, if you made the mortar between the concrete slabs a bit more defined and also added some chipping to the paint I think that might help sell the concrete feel a bit better.

But other than that I absolutely love what you have going on. Looking forward to seeing this progress.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    wow stellar texture work man! The first shot is epic and your lighting is very nice.
  • GrimFiction
    Texture work is really awesome, keep it up!
  • ThatGuyJohn
    Looks great!
    For some reason I am thinking "Honey I shrunk The Kids"... I guess it's the crude lab in the attic look it has.
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing like your other pieces (i especially like your star wars stuff, since i'm working on a star wars game too). Keep up the great work :).
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for all the positive feedback.
    I got some new stuff to share with you guys. I tried and I am still trying to incorporate as much of your feedback as possible:

The portal room has now a more defined structure, and makes more sense. I also added some trusswork to support the ceiling, but I'm still working on that.

EJrpQsA.jpg
    9MCspcT.jpg
    9ZUW9vq.jpg
    CJP4SST.jpg
  • _DMage_
  • penE
    Offline / Send Message
    penE polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to stop by and say that I'm still alive :D. It's quite busy atm in the office, so I've actually very little time to work on the scene right now, but still I'm trying to work on this.

So, new screenshot, with just some tiny changes and additions:
    TrZDHVH.jpg
    8PX2fr5.jpg
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    This looks fantastic mate. Your roof is looking so awesome now! You might have a few little tweaks to go. Eg the vertical beams look to small for the scale of the roof.

Perhaps one day you could do a tutorial on hand painting for the les experienced members?
    And because this member is slightly jelly.