Home Technical Talk

triangles in my mesh?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
gate_udk_tri_zps675348bd.jpg

I exported the mesh from my retopo to be all tris but now I got little errors in my maps. the vertexes are all welded. does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know, but sometimes too strechy polys can cause this, and also cripple the textures on them so you can see a visable seam. It could also be possible that there's some kind of strange polys. Sometimes when I try to export a model for CryEngine it gives me an error for some degenerated faces. The strange thing here is, that when I select those faces and hit delete nothing visable happens on the model, but now the export works just fine.. maybe it's something like this?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    It's difficult to say from a simple picture. Did you triangulate the asset before baking? If not, it's possible the export/import process flipped edges in those spots and the normals don't match anymore.

Other possibilities, UV distortion, ray miss, smoothing groups, you would probably have seen those beforehand but you never know.

EDIT: Ok i just re-read your post, you did triangulate, just make sure you bake after it's been triangulated...if you still can't figure it out, show the normal map too.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found it out. I used FBX instead of ASE and told UDK not to auto assign materials. Thanks guys!