District VII [UDK]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sugus polycounter lvl 7
Latest Update!

districtvii1.jpg

districtvii3.jpg

districtvii4.jpg
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THREAD:

Hello Polycounters!

I’m back with a new project! Up until now I had focus on making small environments, creating unique textures per asset and so on. What I intend to do this time if make modular pieces as much as possible an create a city (hopefully one of those that will make the viewer go “woah”)

Revising my previous work I realized I have been mainly doing organic modelling (i.e Zbrushing) and then baking down organic stuff. This time I plan on doing the opposite by doing an environment that requires hard-surface modelling instead. Having a look at the genres out there I decided to pick Sci-Fi.

Sci-Fi will enable to learn and practice hard surface modelling, baking and the creation of textures.

One could say there are two ways of rendering out a Sci-Fi environment:

- Clean surfaces
- Dirty rundown surfaces

Out of those two I’ve decided to go with the later, a dirty grimy rundown looking environment.

dviilogononame.jpg

“Set in the capital city of Kurowa, District VII is the poorest of the entire city. Considered by many the prison of Kurowa, there is only one access to it: a portal placed in the middle of the biggest plaza of DVII”

The aim of this project is to create this District, showing the streets (using really modular pieces) and then create the main plaza with the Portal. I also want to give the impression that District VII is a place made to oppress people, to suck away all hope.

Here is some of the reference I’m using:

moodboard1.jpg

I must say my main inspiration for this project is Star Wars 1313. What’s been shown of that is just amazing!

Here´s a basic blockout of the main street (hence it being so wide):
blockout1.jpg

I’m mostly sketching out the ideas for this which I will shortly upload. The colours in the blockout are there for me to know what kind of piece will go where. The BO is very basic, but I’ve established the basic architecture for the scene.

I know there isn’t much to crit yet, but I thought I would start a thread now and post all my development.

I should hopefully be able to update regularly!

Stay tuned!

Replies

• MrSkaios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing so far, love the concept! Can't wait to see where this goes!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Quick Update:

My previous Blockout wasn’t finished so I finished it off, quickly added some lights to show where the focal point will be:

blockout4.jpg

A different angle:

blockout3.jpg

Also I realized I should probably explain the “why” of the colours. Each colour represents a modular piece. Here is a quick explanation of what each colour will be:

colourchart.jpg

I will soon upload some designs and paintovers!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    hey man, you are totally cheating, you cant have my scene as reference and my reference for my scene as reference at the same time! You could cut out the middle man and just have the 1313 stuff, hahaha : D Anyway, i obviously love this style, so I hope you nail it! : D
  • Jonas Dahlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff, going to be interesting to see the progress of this.

Guess one of the biggest challenges will be to get the lighting, fog, and the general atmossphere right. Personally if I need to pick from the refs you've been choosing (regarding lighting and mood of the scene), I do really like the the first one a lot. :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Snefer: Hahahahahah. I must say when i first saw your scene all I could think of was “I want to do something that big and awesome”, so now I’m going to give it a go. I guess 1313 have good concepts for reference :D. I know the whole sci fi slum thing has been done many times, but I’ll hopefully be able to design some different stuff to make it a bit more unique (and, as mentioned above, it’s a great learning exercise.

@Jonas: I agree with you, lighting and getting that atmosphere is going to be a very nice challenge. I will try and get something like the first image, although I don’t want to go to close the concept and what LucasArts is producing (wish I could though :D!) Thanks!

Okay then, I’ve been sketching for a while trying to get some of the ground (pedestrian level) structures. The idea is to have a set of walls which have windows (shop like) and others that don’t. I’ve been designing the ones without windows. What I’ve sketched is just a quick idea of what it could be, obviously the final one will look much more detailed etc.
    So, which one do you guys prefer? (I’m not the best draftsman, but hopefully the idea is still transmited):

quickdesigns2.jpg

Also I wanted to ask everyone out there what kind of workflow is best for these large environments? As in:

Model everything first, then high poly it, then bake, texture… or work individually on an asset until I finish it and then move on to the next one and so on?

Thanks!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update!

Been working on some low poly meshes, and some tilables aswell. Currently taking them into UDK, but meanwhile here are some images:

meshesl.jpg
    Decided to go with option D as it gave me more freedom to then plac
    e around the mesh in my scene (if I remove the pillar, it can become a door etc.)

Here are the tilables:

bakedhps.jpg

I’m not too confident with sci-fi, so if anyone spots something that is a big NO NO please let me now!

Engine images soon!
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, so this seems to be well on track :) From what I can see, the bakes you've made kind of have a semi-cartoonish look to them? (just my opinion anyway) Lots of big heavy shapes taking up the 0-1 space. The same sort of approach appears to be reflected in the look of the modeling as well, so there are no conflicting art styles. Anyway yeah, looks really cool though ^^ I like it! Keep on trucking :P
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    I would also put a lot of work into making a very sick tileing border material. They are absolutely awesome for anything modular, and especially when its sci-fi. (I'm guessing you knew that though) ^^
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Well, cartoonish is not what i'm aiming for. The reason the bakes are simply geometry and not too packed is because the scene will be packed with many things, so if i do very intricate and detailed meshes it might end up beeing too noisy. So i'll first go gentle and then top up with decals and other meshes to enhance it even more :)

With border material do you mean a "Master" material? I will be doing that once the texturing process begins. Atm i'm focusing on getting a general feel as to what it will look like!

Thanks!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really promissing :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @SimonT: Thanks for the support! :)

Update before bed:

Implemented the meses into the engine with just a basic colour (so that it doesn’t look purple/gray). Still loads to do though!

blockout5.jpg

blockout6.jpg

I’ve also been experimenting a bit with normal maps. I Overlayed a high passed (photoshop filter) normal map on top, resulting with sharper edges. However I’m not entirely sure if this is a good thing, as maybe it will make the normal map not as readable from a distance.

(I'm aware the normal map is inverted, forgot to invert mr. Y :D)

comparew.jpg

Cheers guys!
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    I don't see using the High Pass overlay as a problem, just watch out to not over do it. Some of the side effects of a HPOverlay is that of a creased/extruded edge. This means that the edges can look as though they are higher than the plateau they are a part of (shadows on the plateau side).

Anyways, I like the composition a lot. Can't wait to see more! :D
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Great job love the mood of the environment, cant wait for more progress
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Joshmtyler: Ok thanks for that, i'll bare in mind not to overdo it! :D

@Raptor: Thanks for the support :)

Update!

Been modelling a bit: Electric boxes, shop signs, cables, some more tilables… here are some images:

blockoutwithmeshes.jpg

blockoutwithmeshes2.jpg

Slowly building the scene up with assets and so… Next thing on the list is a texture for the floor. Once I’ve modeled everything I’ll move on to high poly-ing and then texturing!

Woot woot!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Okaay, quick update here from the previous one.

Progressed with placing around all items and I could say everything is more or less where things go! Not having lightmaps in any of my meshes is making all the repeatable elements stand out a fair bit, but hopefully this will corrected once I start modelling and texturing everything properly.

If any areas of the scene feel particularly messy/heavy/don’t read well please let me know so that I can address the issues before going more in depth!

Camera Angle 1:

finalblockout.jpg

Camera Angle 2:

finalblockout2.jpg

New Camera angle:

The whole will lead to a tunnel which will lead to a plaza type thing. Very blocky atm!

finalblockout3.jpg

Main issue I have atm is making the 2nd shot visually interesting, giving at focal point without overlapping the original focal point (in shot 1). So I’ll be doing some paintovers to see what can be done. Suggestions more than welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Are all of those 45 degree slopes ramps people are meant to walk on? If so then they should probably be moved down to be about 20 or 30 degrees. That would be pretty hard to walk up. Even if they're going to be stairs it should be about a 30 degree slope like this unless they're similar to a fire escape like some of the catwalk stairs.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Zipfinator: They’re intended for both vehicles and humans. You’re totally right about the degree, I just imagined myself walking up that and it definitely wouldn’t be the easiest thing hehe. They’re not going to be stairs, but ramps to a different street. I basically added them to add some interest to the scene and not have the environment flat and boring. Thanks for the link, when I go into making the stairs I’ll bare that in mind!
    Thanks!

Quick Paintover on what I’ll add to the scene

paintover.jpg

- - Wires and pipes to add a sense of caotic etc. These will be moving gently
    - - The curb on the street will not be 90 degreed but smooth, possibly with some glowing lights (dim though, not too strong)
    - - Gutter drains along the street with steam particles coming out of them.
    - - Boxes, garbage bags, bins etc scattered around.
    - - The rooftops will end in a kind of exhaust pipe that releases steam as well.
    - - Adding some background element will give the scene depth and make it look like there’s actually a whole city behind the little scene I’m creating.
    - - And of course in sci-fi I have to have.....

sparkst.jpg

Crits and Comments appreciated!
  • Jonas Dahlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice so far mate! The only "worry" is that it seems to be a lot of stuff and loads of time to do this finished. However, I don't know, maybe you have a lot of time on your hands :) Awesome either way and keep up.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Jonas: Thanks! Luckily I do have that time as i’m currently in my second year at University, treating this as my semester B Project :)

One of the biggest challenges with this project is the texturing side. I’ve never done metal before, so I’m completely knew to it. I’ve been reading quite a bit on specular maps, watched tutorials and decided to give it a try. I decided to start with a texture that’s not seen that much to experiment a bit, and hopefully when I’m more confident I’ll move on to the big boys hehe.

UDK Screenshot with some quick lights applied:

metailpanel1.jpg

Map:

metailpaneltxturesheet.jpg

As mentioned I’m completely new to metal, so if anyone has anything to say please do! All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Jonas Dahlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The specular looks crips at and clear however I don't understand ... The diffuse looks washed out and grey, with very little contrast. And the specular has colors and doesn't really look like a specular? It seems to be somewhat correct with the values though, except for the light grey bit which will be very reflective in the engine.

I know you're a student so it's a good thing to learn to make textures from scratch, however you still might want to check out dDo and nDo2, might be useful in for your project!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    The reason the diffuse is washed out and has barely any contrast is because i'm letting the specular do that job by making it very very contrasted and crispy (i do need to add a sharpen pass to the diffuse, and maybe add some more colour variation. I agree with the light gray, need to tone that one down.

Regarding Quixel's phenomenal tools... I have a base knowledge of nDo2 (i use it mainly to extract AO/Cavity passes to then apply them over my textures) but i feel like before I start using this kind of software i should learn how to do it without them. The only reason i'm being stubborn like this is that no-one can guarantee me that whatever studio i'll work in will have these programms, so if i rely on them too heavily and then don't have them i might face some problems hehe.

As to dDo, same reason, looks like an amazing tool (unfortunately my PC didn't like it and couldn't play around with it when it was in BETA phase...), but i first want to learn how to texture without it!

If anyone disagree's with what I said or has some input please tell me, as i'm always eager to adapt my workflows and change them! :)
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    You may like to include gloss maps for your materials, this will help control the specular.
    I think your high-pass overlay should be added to the diffuse map, rather than the normal map.
    Keep on working man, I can see this looking great!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Walrus: Regarding the Gloss map, i've been doing some reasearch and already know how it works. However one problem i can see comming is how to adapt a range of black-white colour to the SpecularPower UDK has. So, for example, what Value of white would = a constant of 40 within UDK?

I read the default value (as if nothing was plugged in) for the Specular Power is 15, so i guess 50%grey would = 15? Maybe there is no equivalency and I have to do trial and error...

I think i agree with high passing the diffuse as oposed to the normal. I've done it with a few other normals to see how it looks and it gives an uggly slight shadow that doesn't enhance the normal map, but quite the opossite.

If anyone can solve or knows any online resource that explains my question i'd be very grateful :)
  • SolCommand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene, even at this current state, looks gorgeous !
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @SolCommand: Thanks for the support! It'll will only get better :)

Quick update on another texture i’ve been working on. I’ve approached it in a similar way as the one I did beforehand. Rendered out in UDK without any gloss map yet (still a constant plugged into the spec power).

I’m seeing that maybe I need some more colour variation within the texture. If this is the case I will probably break it with some decals, so to not alter too much the texture itself and make it an OBVIOUS repeating texture.

Screenshot:

metaltexture2.jpg

Both Maps:

metaltexture2map.jpg

I think I should start to implement these in my scene to actually see how they look in context.

Next thing on the list!

Thanks!
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how much time are you putting into the spec? so far it just looks like the diffuse with a levels pass. I'd spend some more time making the the scratches stand out more and maybe even add an overlay of something else to get the spec to stand out more on the highlight areas.

edit derp, didn't read, you're already working on gloss maps.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Impala88: At the moment my current workflow for the specular is going over every single layer i have for my diffuse and yes, playing with levels, opacity, blending modes, contrast etc. I then add a few passes that are inexistent in the diffuse (such as scratches, patches of dirt (not too heavy) and so on).

However i must say the specular on the previous texture does look very weak and i will deffinately go over it to enhance it a bit more.

As you say i'm also reading about gloss maps to soon add them to my textures.

I´ll be uploading tonight a bunch of more textures and hopefully implement them into my scene :)
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Just as a test to change up the metal textures you've been making.

Make your diffuse texture rather dark (dark metal with some light scratches and wear)
    and keep the specular levels you've been using for your previous metals. Hopefully it will help break up the LIGHT METAL EVERYWHERE look.

This looks really nice and I'm gonna keep an eye out for this :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Tacom: That’s an interesting approach to it, i will deffinately give it a go. However maybe if I darken too much the diffuse I will afterwards have to pump up too much the lights within UDK to actually see anyting? (Guess I’ll have to try it to know :D)

Update before I hit the sack:

Some progression on more textures, here they are:

This one I labeled Insight (10 points to whoever can tell me why ;)). It will deffinately be the floor for the corridor and maybe for other areas in the scene. Will have to check if it fits as a feasible floor. In game shot:

insightrender.jpg

And the maps for it:

insightmaps.jpg

Then tonight I’ve been working on this one:

metal3render.jpg

metal3l.jpg

I can already see issues with it, like a big dark seam in the middle, bottom panels are too similar hue to the rest of the texture (so I’ll change the colour of that) and the whole thing I feel needs more work.

Actually, everything needs a revisit to polish and to GLOSS map. How expensive will it be to bring in a Gloss map for every single texture I have? It will obviously make it look nicer but will it actually be a positive thing to do, or will it drag down performance too much?

I’ve been distracted by other Uni assignments but hopefully tomorrow I should get round to implement all this within the scene.

Any crit or comment welcome and appreciated!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update:

Placed all the textures in the scene:

blockoutwithpannels.jpg

blockoutwithpannels2.jpg

blockoutwithpannels3.jpg

At the moment it’s looking very grayish, so I’m going to play around with masking certain areas of textures to change only those colours (if I just multiply a colour on top of the entire texture it looks crap) The fact that there's barely any lights in the scene doesn't help either!

I’m going to start modeling the assets! Lots to do hehe

Thanks!
  • GameBred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the texturing and the blockout, this as got alot of potential, definately with effects like steam and sparks and a good lighting setup
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @Gamebred: Thanks dude, appreciate your support! :)

Been away for a while. Managed to get into the Blitz Games Studios Openday so went up to Leamington Spa last friday. Pretty awesome! :D

And then I wasn't able to do much but now i'm back with some updates:

81209112.jpg

74344312.jpg

Also worked on the shader for the floor. For now i've been watching tutorials out there and followed this one by Ryan Smith. Amazing tutorial, learnt so much from it. The textures i've used are the ones provided but i'll be making my own, as usual.

C&C appreciated :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hello guys! I had a sudden urge to play around with terrain and CryEngine so I did that for a while (but that’s another story).

I’m back with a quick update:

- Included some pipes
    - Blocked out the curb
    - Duplicated and shrunk the object lit by the pink light and placed it below. This will be a neon lit advert, probably a moving texture (too attract even more the viewers eye).

pipeupdate1.jpg

pipeupdate.jpg

I’m not too happy with the floor texture, so I’ll replace that soon. It looks more like a wall than a floor.

I have a question regarding gloss maps if anyone can answer it:
    how to adapt a range of black-white colour to the SpecularPower UDK has.

So, for example, what Value of white would = a constant of 40 within UDK?

I read the default value (as if nothing was plugged in) for the Specular Power is 15, so i guess 50%grey would = 15? Maybe there is no equivalency and I have to do trial and error...

I think i agree with high passing the diffuse as oposed to the normal. I've done it with a few other normals to see how it looks and it gives an uggly slight shadow that doesn't enhance the normal map, but quite the opossite.

Aswell, how expensive would it be to bring in an extra texture (gloss map) for every single object in the scene? Is that extra control + precission worth the render cost etc?

Thanks guys, C&C more than welcome and appreciated!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update!

Other assignments have forced me to move away from 3D for a while (grrr) but I’ve managed to work a bit on the project. Worked a bit more into lighting, replaced the other floor for a new one (much better in my opinion). The texture for it is just placeholder, its just a normal map with an AO multiplied over basic colour just to get the feel of it. Baked the column aswel. Hopefully I should be starting to properly texture all these assets.

I haven’t received any critique or comment yet so am I to assume I’m on the right tracks with this? Any help, even suggestions or opinions, is more than welcome!

lightingo.jpg

lighting2.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good, Liking the Z-axis design :)
    If this scene is at night I'd turn back the lighting of the entire place a lot more, and have smaller lights all over the place, coming from the windows, panels or lanterns.

I'm still experimenting with lighting myself, but I think something like this would give more depth, make the metal pieces more shiney etc could help as well.

lightsnd.jpg

But really liking this, keep it up :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Ohh that's an interesting paintover! You've given me already some very good ideas. I'll probably be adding water pools (decals!) on the pavement so that the light is reflected (it will also guide the viewers eye to the focal point).

Toning down the lighting is a good idea, although I don't want some of the details to be lost in shadow.

I'm going to be modelling the main bits now, specially the front door (since it's the focal point i should probably tackle than soon).

Thanks for your input, this has really helped me and hopefully when I work more into the scene I can implement these changes :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    EDIT: Had to remove video due to copyright infringment hehe, could get sewed for it so...

Will remove the thing and re-framedump :)
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update with stills:

I need to attach some lights to the ship because atm the glow is overpowering and due to the lack of lights (and the glow not lighting the ship) its coming out black pretty much)

districtvii1.jpg

districtvii3.jpg

For some reason when i tiledshot this one the motion blur didn't come out, which kind of ruins the shot, but here it is anyway:

districtvii4.jpg

C&C apreciated!
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    can't wait to see it all finished, it's looking awesome already! :]
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    wow awesome progress, can't wait to see where you go with this.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Fantastic work, how is the project going?
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Great work so far! totally following this.
    As for lighting, just make sure the dark area is not 100% black and white is not 100% white. A good way to check your values is take a screenshot, bring it to photoshop and greyscale it. Also the histogram helps a lot too.

For the floor corridor spec. For the circle, I'm guessing its just paint. Shouldn't the colour be leaning more towards orangey/red than gold/yellow? Also for the scratched parts, it should be the same colour as the metal since thats whats underneath the paint right? bluish/silver instead of dark brown? I might be wrong, what does everyone think?

Great work nevertheless!
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really cool so far, reminds me of the city from Jak & Daxter II
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    @hollandje, minorthreat: Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated!
    @Littleclaude: Thanks Neil, the project is going good, working on the lighting of this mainly!
    @Dubzski: Hahaha that's one of my favourite games of all times! :D Even though i never thought of that city, you comment made my day :)

@Iciban: That's a very good point about the blacks and white´s. I've checked all my screenshots and i'm glad you mentioned that:
    The spaceship is very very close to absolute black, with values of 6/5/7 or so, and i think it's because Photoshop is picking some of the bloom, but the ship is actually pitch black in some points.
    I'm going to have to figure a way to light the spacecraft as it moves, probably attaching a light to it etc (a shame the material-defined glow wont light the ship).
    Other than that, some of the areas of the scene are dark, similar to the ship values, but i guess that's not a bad thing? I'm trying to use things like zonal lighting etc to set a mood, so lighting every
    single corner is probably not the best idea.

Regards the texturework. I seem to remember that when i was doing the spec, if i had a orange/red value (which i did try), the reflection colour became a very strong orange, which isn't what i was looking for.
    The gold colour in the spec gives a better result i think(i am going to check just to make sure though).

If anyone has more info on the above ^ please come forward :D

As for the dark brown colours, i think i can explain. When i did that i was trying to achieve a look of weared paint, where it hasn't completly peeled off, but is slowly doing so. I'm going to double research into that and see what's best.

Thanks for the very solid crit Iciban!

I'm also going to be adding more Fog (someone mentioned it no another forum and it seems like a good idea)

Updates to come soon!

(If anyone has good ideas regards the lighting i'd be very happy to hear/see them, as i'm a bit stuck in some points. Thanks again!)