Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Space Colony Control Room

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
Ok so my previous thread about the mech has been abandoned for the time being, I came to the realization that he's too much of a character rather than anything environment related. So he's gone back into the "fun to model once I have a job" folder for now

Anyways on to this

Gonna be working off a concept by Jason Courtney http://www.perdador.com/deadspace.html Of the control room for the colony on Aegis 7

colonycontrol2_zps22e9b059.jpg

And I'll be closing the door on the side there and replacing it with this one

cleandoor1_zpsb1605cd0.jpg

And using these corridor concepts to help inform my tileable sheet(s) for the walls and floors

corridor_designs_zps6545572c.jpg

Current progress is just the block-out, although some pieces are probably already close to their actual low poly meshes (chairs most of all) tried to stick pretty close to the camera angle, but there's always gonna be a bit of fudging translating things to 3D

Final_Block_Out_zps287dc1e2.jpg

Spent several hours on this, probably gonna dive into High Poly tomorrow unless anyone sees anything glaringly wrong or missing.

Replies

• Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    Its looking like a good start so far, looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I'm currently working on an environment from a piece of concept from Deus Ex but my block out was no where near as detailed as yours, perhaps I should have spent more time on it.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to see how this progresses. I love the concepts, especially the tileable panels. Are you gonna follow the concept's color too? I like those yellow screens, but the overall image seems pretty warm.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

ToTheWorld: I spent a good chunk of my day on it, mostly because I really wanted to make sure I got things in the right place and having things closer to the final shapes helped me understand where they should go. If you can get that info with less detail by all means jump into the real modeling faster.

Leleuxart: I'll probably try to match the concept color, but most of that warmth will be from the sunlight coming in through the windows. So I'll probably go neutral with the textures and get a lot of that warmth in lighting, which would make turning things darker, like into a night scene with more glow, relatively easy.
  • GrimFiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really interested to see how this turns out..are you going to have it as light as that or with the shutters down with dark and moody lighting?
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I'd get some progress up, nothing to fancy just kinda jumping around working on various high poly bits not really focusing on one particular piece for too long (just one of those days). Haven't done anything too detailed yet...

Might jump on that door tomorrow since there's not as much to interpret, can just bang out the shapes real fast and give it it's own map...

Grimfiction: Like I mentioned in my reply to Leleuxart I'll probably stick to the concept but do most of the color/brightness through lighting, which should allow me to rather easily adjust the scene and display a night version as well, it'll just be some tweaks to the light intensity and color, and probably a color shift for the backdrop/matte painting I'll use for the view out the back window. Or possibly shutters like you suggested, good opportunity to do some more of that repeating zigzag try shape they're so fond of.

Anyways
    Wall chunk from the back right
    Wall_Chunk_Progress_zpsaacc6536.jpg

The chair (probably the furthest along, still needs refinement, gonna look at game footage and spend some time screenshotting Dead Space: Downfall for more ref)

Chair_High_Poly_zps8643e882.jpg

Start of a trim sheet, trying to keep things very simple and broad, breaking down the larger panel patterns on the wall and floor, will probably have at least another half sheet by the end, but this is a decent start, once it's baked down I can start applying it in chunks to block out the paneling...

Trim_Sheet_1_zps185f568b.jpg

And the support pillar, little to no detail on this one, added a bit of cut lines, only really work will be making sure things look like they flow together, rather than just butt up against one another. But otherwise these pillars looks to be pretty flat in terms of potential normal info

Pillar_HP_zps5754aefc.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some progress on the door, I feel like it's probably too wide at this point compared to the concept. But I may keep it that way to fit the size of the door in the scene better... we'll see

Door_Progress_zpsa13290db.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished with the high for the door. Not much else to report, probably gonna focus on the chair next get it finished up and then back to the trim sheet. Onward!

EDIT just noticed I forgot that divider on the stair there, gonna fix that right away.

Door_HP_both_zps672fd9e9.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I updated,

Just blocking things out with a trim sheet plus a sheet, half filled, by the door (I'll add 1-2 other props to it as I go)

Normals baked out in Max and then diffuse, spec, gloss etc generated with a quick pass through Ddo.
    Obviously lots of tweaking, both in Ddo and in Photoshop is necessary, this was just to block in shapes with the texture.

Gonna pull things into Marmoset soon since other than the more prop-like assets (chair, moniter stands, and moniter bank) are close to done in terms of modeling. , although I make get in there and pull out some of the texture details with some Geo.

Progress_Week_5_zps46fda839.jpg

Textures_zps33cffe1b.jpg
  • Rasterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice progress, good job! I like the overall look and feel, it has the signature grim and blocky design of the Dead Space Universe. But, I've noticed in a few places that you went in and chamfered edges to get a more flowing shape for the doors, but have consequently formed 5-gons which could lead to tessellation singularities and difficulties with potential smoothing or even displacement mapping.

Other than that, keep up the good work! :D
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Door_Wires_zps8d714ff5.jpg

No 5-gons here good sir :D Everything carries over into a quad or a tri, there's a bit of optimization left to do but that's not currently what I'm focused on.

Also the more I think of things, the more I think I might try to get the Xoliul shader up and running. That way I could continue building in Max and not have to redo lighting and camera angles etc. I've tried to use it before but ran into technical issues installing and started using Marm instead.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overdue Update

Lots of work on the trim sheet, still a bit more to do but it's close to done. Need to re-UV a few chunks to account for the new details. Then it's back to High Poly work to finish out the chairs and computer/monitor consoles.

Basic lighting is down, still tweaks to be done, and that possible dark variant to do as well.

UDK_Shot_zps1ea83214.jpg

The sheet with the door on it will have more props on it later, I do have plans for all that empty space. Trim sheet is 512x512, Prop sheet is currently 2048x2048 but I'll probably down-rez to 1024, I don't think it would suffer too much

Textured (so far) almost entirely with NDO2 and DDO

Textures_WIP_2_zps0e257533.jpg
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all looks a bit washed out to me, but other then that, great progress!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update again, finally
    Just about done with this thing, lots of lighting tweaks to do, and lightmaps to make. The monitors all have the sort of "projector" material behind them like the monitors I've found in game. They also have some nice arm pieces with enough pivots that the people could adjust them any which way.

Also I added some objects to give it a lived in feel, and also pay a little tribute to some things I've seen in-game. Hence the soda cans and the sport illustrated (kinda hard to see at this angle, but there'll be a full on shot in the breakdowns)

Crits massively appreciated, I plan on finalizing this thing within the week (unless major changes are suggested) so I can get everything rendered and up on my port in time for GDC

UDK_Shot_zps22bda6d0.jpg

Uniques_Textures_zpsf90491a1.jpg

Gonna be making a texture for the windows to mimic a view of the outside, and like I said a whole lot of lighting and lightmap work.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the lighting, also some proportion and placement adjustments, realized the room was too long. Probably still a bit on the long side.

I'll be rearranging some of the texture, and getting the door done with more tiling stuff rather than uniques.

Gonna put some more time and effort into the chair, getting a cushion going on it and fixing the connection point on the floor.

After than gonna go off concept a bit and add some color in, and play with values, to break things up a bit more.

New_Shot_zpsac2f91b0.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright did a bit of a big shift. Got rid of the unique stuff for the door made it almost entirely of tiling textures. and repacked the unique stuff... added a cushion to the chairs, and the unlocked hologram on the door

I also sized the door texture down to a 1024, and I plan on up-rezing the trim sheet to 1024 as well, since this is a port piece I might as well get things a bit higher rez. I'm gonna work in some of the new tiles into the rest of the environment, as well as maybe some value/color shifted variants to add some more interest to the scene.

Update-1_zpse889fa6a.jpg

Textures_zps89f23684.jpg

Things to do:
    1. Make the flat metal texture used on parts of the door and the pillars less simple and jarring looking, since it seems to really break from the rest of the textures in the scene.

2. Make a proper spec/gloss for things, I've not managed to get a decent one out of DDO yet so I'll go in manually. Definitely something to figure out at a later date when time isn't an issue.

3. Light the crap out of this scene, I've been tweaking and playing but I think I need to just sit down with the concept and the scene side by side and dedicate a soild portion of time to the light.

4. Intensify the normals on the floor to make the slats pop more, right now it's reading too noisy, also it needs those little lights to give purpose to the those small square holes.

5. Paint the fake outside for the windows.

Any and all critiques very much appreciated, I'm trying to get this thing port ready in time for GDC along with my other preparations (resumes, cards etc)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I see that Kate Upton cover :thumbup:

This is looking really nice so far. One thing that kind of bothers me is how muddy things look. And I don't mean just the colors, but nothing is really coming off as sharp metal, but that could just be the image compression maybe.

Another thing that I think might help is more contrast in the lighting, with strong spec maps. The soft shadows are so soft that they're almost coming across as just colors in the diffuse. The concept had a brighter light, but soft shadows(not as soft as they are in the current shot though), but I think a brighter light and hard shadows would help.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok lighting update, bumped the spec up a lot and toned down the gloss to get a more diffused specular.

Only thing I really feel like still needs pushing is the rendering on the back window, since it kind of breaks from the rest of the scene too abruptly.

Update_2_zps6498c3d7.jpg

Textures__zps71bf345c.jpg

Extra_Textures_zps05fe0877.jpg