Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Saran's character art 'n' stuff

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sarankan polycounter lvl 6
Hey Guys, Ive been meaning to make a thread here for ages but always been overwhelmed by all the talent; finally i decided i need to start things off

image32.jpg

http://sarankanart.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/act-1-bootcamp.html

Replies

• Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    posed_render_1.jpg
    This is the final result of the aviator which I worked on, all crits are welcome.. although I submitted the work, I will remember it for next time. Thanks
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lockwood art test! That was 3 years ago wasn't it? Beats the hell out of mine.

Btw where you studying? My guess considering 3rd year quality and chosen art piece, DMU?
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff! I definitely think you could give the hands a little more geo, they really stand out and the quality in the normal's doesn't match the rest of the model.

Also I'd personally like to see a bit more diffuse love, especially on the hair.

Has she been working on her plane and gotten grease in her hair or on her jacket? maybe she travels a lot and has sand or mud on her boots, give her a bit of those life touches :).

Overall cool!
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanna wrote: »
    The Lockwood art test! That was 3 years ago wasn't it? Beats the hell out of mine.

Btw where you studying? My guess considering 3rd year quality and chosen art piece, DMU?

Hey, yep:) from here onward i'm focusing more on characters and an endless march until I get to a professional standard, and you are exactly right...3rd year DMU:)
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mxlplxn wrote: »
    Cool stuff! I definitely think you could give the hands a little more geo, they really stand out and the quality in the normal's doesn't match the rest of the model.

Also I'd personally like to see a bit more diffuse love, especially on the hair.

Has she been working on her plane and gotten grease in her hair or on her jacket? maybe she travels a lot and has sand or mud on her boots, give her a bit of those life touches :).

Overall cool!

Thanks for the crit mate! I definitely agree, especially on the hand and I guess im missing some of the finer details that give the character that bit of back story and personality.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice model =) The colour scheme is great, it have this ancient feeling while being colourful.
    My only crits would be on the pose and the leather things on the thighs, and some thickness issues.

The pose lacks a bit of dynamism, but a few images in more helpful than a long speech. Here's a little tutorial thing by great artist Warren Louw.
    http://warrenlouw.deviantart.com/art/IFX-Strike-A-Pose-163076761?q=1&qo=1
    Also I see that you tried to put her thumb into her pocket but it doesn't really works since the pocket is not really readable on the diffuse. I'd rather put her hand on the wallet she's wearing.

For the leather on the thighs, it seems to be separated in the mesh from the thighs. The result is an interpenetration while posing... Having a single flowing mesh here could solve that problem.

For the thickness it's mainly on the jacket's collar and on the fold of the wallet, they should have about the same thickness as the pieces that hold the leather thigh things.

The two last points are more for future work, I understand that you need to move on to other pieces ;) but redo the pose is really important, it will gave more justice to your great job. =)
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Sarankan great to see you on Polycount its James from America! been ages man :) your aviator model looks awesome love the folds especially on the arms. you'll be posting stuff on here soon that will put my stuff to shame :) cant wait to see more from you man!

and if this is your first post on Polycount then welcome!
  • Moltazia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltazia polycounter lvl 5
    it looks like the belt is cutting through the shirt and i really miss some buttons to combine the leather straps with the leather on the thighs. it seems like her scarf is changing color from red to white?

other than that it looks gorgeus :) thumbs up. the green jacket is lovely!
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abrvpt - Hey man, ye the diffuse I initially went to solid and simple colours but I think i probably could have defined certain areas a bit more, especially on the pockets; the last two points are definitely something I'll incorporate on my next model and when I revisit the model in a few weeks time

@praetor187 - Hey james glad to see u here too, thanks for the welcome!:) and cant wait to see more stuff from you too:)

@Moltazia - The belt actually isn't cutting through the shirt as I intend for it the shirt to be tucked in but if its giving that impression then I guess I should make it more obvious or possibly have the belt come out more:) The scarf I should admit was a n after though as I initially had that orangey/red and I thought partly changing it from that colour to cream/white might complement her shirt, look like I'll need to address that issue to

There are also some other issues that friends mentioned like the holsters with the suspenders and stuff doesn't make a lot of sense and the some minor anatomy stuff.

Cheers guys for the all the great feedback, I'll fix as much as I can before I can call it finally done.
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'll be working on some FMP characters which I'll be doing this semester.
    For this I'll be working from pre existing concepts by Calum alexander watt back from 2003, they are all soo awesome. I've always been a huge fan of his work!then again who isnt:)so I'm making 3 characters based from those conceptshttp://calumalexanderwatt.blogspot.co.uk/
    For my FMP I was debating over whether I would concept my own characters or work from a concept and I finally decided I would work from existing concepts as I think its quite important for a character artist to be able to interpret from a drawing. Of course this is completely educational and a possible portfolio pieces.

damage_inc_10.jpg

The first step was to do a basic block out of some of the basic features using a base mesh and get a basic overall look.

1.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    ha, that's a pretty great concept. Right now, I don't think you've got him nearly fat enough, and the scale doesn't quite match either. The concept paints a pretty short, very fat man, I would make his head bigger and wider, and really widen the waist and thighs. Also, fatten his neck a bunch! look forward to seeing this develop
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flight helmet for your aviatrix really should have a chin strap, and the band for the goggles is really just a single thick piece of leather with a buckle for adjusting the size. Also, if you are doing a period piece (20s-30s), the goggles should be elliptical rather than round.

825.254.jpg
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker - thanks for the suggestion, will definitely fix some of those issues as soon as I get round to it!

@mr_ace - Thanks a bunch, I was quite hesitant on how much I could push, glad you pointed it out!.

Well I basically exaggerated his features some more and also did some rough ideas for the heads and narrowed it down. This is still in the block out figuring out stages so if anything looks horribly wrong, please let me know:) and also the jacket I quite like the way it was lower on one side(i know this could be due to the way he's leaning too) but was wondering whether its better to model them static and try to weight them when i come to rig or sculpt it with it longer on one side. I'm initially going for the jacket longer on one side as I also want to pose it similar to the concept...once again please don't hesitate to crit, will greatly appreciate any help:) Thanks

some face refs
    facerefs.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-1_1.jpg
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fgOwExL.jpg

I am basically going of a happier dude with slightly softer complexions

Hey guys, I started fixing some of the areas and tiding some of the stuff, If there's anything that looks horribly wrong let me know. for more screen shot please visit the wip blog:)
    http://sarankanartfmp.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/FMP%20Character%201

I still need to finish some areas, but this is roughly where things are headed
    Thanks!
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    big_render2.jpg
    lady_render_1.jpg
    renders_1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg

..long awaited update; this was a university project where i made 3 characters based on calum watt's concepts and these were the final outcome. I've documented most of it herehttp://sarankanartfmp.blogspot.co.uk/ so thers no need to rant here:) Ive got more pictures and wipshots there and an evaluation
    Im kinda glad i did that since i lost most of the files after i format my pc. Honestly I cant wait to start on something new. Thanks