Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Alex Martin

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
I've been realizing more and more that I need some serious practice in 2D. Not just to increase my value for positions when the time comes to apply but just on a personal level I want to do a better job of communicating visually.

With that said, in addition to some big projects for my portfolio I'm working on doing trying to do a study from photos/life once a day (give or take, I can always make them up if I miss some) To get the hours in. I may do sculpts as well but this is primarily about painting for my right now.

CRITS MASSIVELY APPRECIATED I AM COMMITTED TO GETTING BETTER

Anyways here's the first couple, ranging from 1 hour to around 2

Female_Facecopy_zps8de22d42.jpg
Redhead_zps47597ecc.jpg
Blonde_1-28-13copy_zps2e2ebf93.jpg

Replies

• Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely have not been doing enough of these, but here's another one I actually finished

Redhead_2-2-13_zps954359bd.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep running out of time to do these studies

Started doing some material spheres for something more akin to texture practice.

Started out easy with just basic matte, then lizard/croc skin kinda thing and then shiny/painted metal. Spent the most time on the lizard one, probably an hour or so, the other two much less so.

Material_Spheres_1-3_zps82e25856.jpg
  • Nemesio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad at all, i see good improvement on the last figure posted. When im drawing i usually pick out a drawing that looks that i previously did and look into what i did right with that particular piece and try to replicate it in the next one. I also highly recommend copying and reading every page of Bridgmans complete guide to figure drawing. It is greatly helping me and is one of the best books out there on how to draw the figure. Its what David Finch did and look how good he is at drawing,
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brunette_2-26-13-copy_zps510a9cd3.jpg

Another quick one.

Thanks Nemesio, yeah I haven't been in a class for, or been able to attend a figure workshop in a while not to mention take the time to read books on it, at least recently.

I've got a digital copy of Bridgmans, I'll try doing some studies out of there intermixed with some material/basic form stuff.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Master copy of a FirstKeeper weapon concept, didn't hit the proportions exactly but otherwise I think I pulled it off decently.

First_Keeper_Master_Copycopy_zpsc6651cba.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some 3D stuff this time around.

Trying to do some more "organic" style hard surface modeling. In this case the shoulder of a Starcraft 2 design by Joe Peterson

Shoulder_zps198e80dc.jpg

The proportions are very very off I think, but at this point I'm mostly working on learning the techniques and getting a feel for this type of modeling... I may go back into this later, or I might just forge ahead with new studies and learn as I go with new shapes.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely strayed from the proportions/design.

I think I'll move on to something smaller, still organic and complex but easier to finish quickly to build up my skills

Progress_3-1_zps55193bed.jpg

Progress_3_Back_zpseac86a85.jpg
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    That copy of the weapon concept is looking pretty decent. If you want to get some of the really cool glowy looking colours in there (I'm thinking the bright blue glow, or some of the brighter red/pink bits that are on the smaller weapon) you should use the colour dodge tool. It's super awesome for that kind of stuff, as long as you don't abuse it. :)

That modeling is looking pretty fab too. Keep it up!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on more Organic Hard Surface stuff... pulling from a Firefall concept by Jayaxer
    Firefall_Progress_2_zps1a46699a.jpg

Still WIP, mostly in some of the more intense shapes and cut lines in the upper portion
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm calling this done... time to think about low poly...

Firefall_Composite_zpsbc7985b5.jpg
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message