Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

the *ART JAM* - please join in :)

Replies

• branduarte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat - Awesome work man !

I love Darksiders so I made something in my free time today,I have used Joe Mad draws and Brian Jones model as reference it's a WIP

wipi.jpg
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Damn a bunch of epic Darksiders art here now :poly142: Heres the final for now. Low poly is 5k tris and uses 1 1024x1024 map :) even if the Darksiders series is no more the style will live on! Vigil RIP.
    jG3kOyS.jpg
    mg1StJS.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really hard to work when all your ref makes you want to play the gaem :(

satrio: Very cool dude, kinda looks like he's squatting though.
    dchung: Wicked start.
    MindOfNash: Could use a lot more crackledge but pretty cool, nice:)
    mat: That's just awesome man, just awesome.
    Caldria: Thanks dude, Fury turned out sweet!
    dtschultz: I have no idea what that is but I likes it:)
    branduarte: Killer forms man, can't wait to see the rest.
    SveinY: It might be the AO but something about your texture feels very dirty and over-saturated. Maybe turn down it's opacity and add a little more color variation? Love the sculpt.

sigh. still too much to do.
    Vigil_06.jpg
  • skuld_sama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vigil was awesome indeed! Had a really unique and cool style :D
    Here's my artjam speedsculpt from the head of the Frozen Undead from the first DLC.
    I'm planning to finish this even if the jam is over.
    Concept by Avery Coleman :)darksiderartjam_adri.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    wow great stuff guys and gals, hopefully will get mine up over the weekend

skuld_sama - I like the bandage, really fits the style
    scudz - Looks great man, you really got the proportions down, maybe his chest barrels out a bit much, only slight though.
    SveinY - looking good, I think some spec map work will really help with the material definition
    branduarte - looks awesome so far :) I like his ribs, looks alot more deathly than the real one haha.
    dtschultz - jesus that spine piece must of raken you ages haha.
    Caldria - fantastic, looks like it go straight into the game :)
    mat - my favourite part of DS2, great work
    hopgood - looks great, might need some more material definition but nonetheless great job.
    dchung - sweet monster, I like the arms so far
    MindOfNash - looks good, you got the cracks going on well behind him too
    satrio - looking good so far, I like how you did all the boney bits
    Jeff Parrott - I aint poopin in that haha
    OrganizedChaos - that is kickass :)
    Daphz - nice, look forward to seeing if you took him further
    Sukotto - the feathers turned out great

so its that time again, new theme is.......
    iOS/ANDROID

this should be an interesting one :) literally do whatever you want, you could bring your favourite iOS games to high res or take your favourite games down to mobile specs, or whatever, whatever feels good :)

again keep posting your vigil pieces in here if you are still going :)
  • satrio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Things really ramped up towards the weekend! Good job guys, that is a lot of quality stuff on display here. A lot of effort and patience went in to some of your pieces.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Feckin hell...if I can have even half the talent some of the guys in this thread have one day I'll be over the moon :D Kinda reluctant to post this now - Vigil, you rocked, thank you for providing some of the best game art I've ever seen! *Wails and blows on handkerchief*

https://vimeo.com/59728482
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry, I should have posted the concept for the piece. It's about a third of the way down this page.

http://www.autodestruct.com/ds_hellgrowth.htm

crazyfool: The spine wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. If Zbrush hadn't added in the insert mesh brush and dynamesh in recent releases that would have been a nightmare. In case there are people out there wondering how I did it. I was able to make a simple piece and draw it out on a curve with a taper and slight bulge (so awesome). And from there I could mask out the the breaks and push them in, and mask out the extremities and pull them out with snakehook and move elastic, etc. to make the silhouette more uneven.

I'm going to be running late on finishing this one, but I plan on completing it.

Thanks for setting this Jam up!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice grim reaper satrio.

raven: that's crazy detialed, you seem to work very fast.

caldria: I loved that concept and you did her justice as far as I am concerned. :)

mat: wow nice

Baj Singh: I totally love that, simple and yet so effective, really awesome.

Jeff: lol that's awesome.

sukotto: nice handling of the feathers, I like it.

OrganizedChaos: damn nice looks just like the concept, would be great to see your take on the rest of him.

Avanthera: I like the way you handled the teeth, I am inspired by them and want to do something similar for the new sculpt I got going.

ScudzAlmighty: Thanks man, I like your character you went all out on this :) and you've inspired me to create a full character as well, though I will take more time to complete mine most likely and you seem also done already, :) loving them purple shades and that scarf.

Nice work all around everyone the darksiders / paul richards theme's worked well and everyone seemed excited to get started, I came in a little late damn it and almost missed the chance to participate.

Well before the darksiders stuff comes to an end (is that how this works?once a new idea is thrown in no more updates on that stuff?)

Here is a new idea since for all we know no more Dark siders :(
    reaperiw.jpg
    updated:
    famine2ndupdate.jpg
    This is the start of my Famine design, started yesterday and I got the body going now I want to change those teeth just doesn't look right to me.
    I'll explain the design when I get the body close to done It Is pretty cool at least I think so, also no real concept just off my head I had an idea and ran with it as quickly as I could before I lost it.

Hope you like.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Great job guys! The work in this thread kicks sooo much ass!

- BoBo
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    branduarte wrote: »
    mat - Awesome work man !

I love Darksiders so I made something in my free time today,I have used Joe Mad draws and Brian Jones model as reference it's a WIP

wipi.jpg

You have no idea how much I love this! Such a cool take on the character you can definitely see the influence from Joe Mad and BoBo but it still looks different. I love how sinewy he looks
  • dchung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dchung polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to get mine in before the start of the next one :) Threw some poly paint on him and refined some of the shapes . Based on a concept by Paul Richards . spider%202.jpg
    Awesome Awesome work guys :D
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Blimey! Go all you people. Cracking stuff.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some trouble with exporting out the reverse history from zbrush. It also didn't do it for each subtool although I do like the speed of it much better. The big problem is that is says that I need quicktime for the mov files to export. Hate quicktime since it has that annoying update/itunes thing that pops every few weeks.

I'm working on Uriel here. A few hours in.

part1.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    did you guys work on darksiders 2? XD
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some rough hair. Working from the concept of her.

part2.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, better late than never haha :) heres where my death unmasked speedy ended up, looking forward to the iOS stuff incoming :)

death_unmasked_tp004.jpg

cheers
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    if thats a speedy i should kill myself
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    if thats a speedy i should kill myself
    ^^ This. :)
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    crazyfool wrote: »
    hello, better late than never haha :) heres where my death unmasked speedy ended up, looking forward to the iOS stuff incoming :)

death_unmasked_tp004.jpg

cheers

Dat cloth ! :poly122:
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    awesome work guys

crazyfool:Dayuuuuuum

im converting a paint i did a few weeks ago into an lowpoly version
    got this so far

PC4_IOS_Wip1.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfool: youuuuuuu sonovabitch.
    Ravenslayer: SO awesome, and so glad you 3d'd this guy:) might work better (as an ios/android asset) with brighter colors overall.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Tons of awesome work in here as always everyone! Great job. Working on these the past 3 weeks has been way more fun for myself than I thought it would be. Super motivating checking out the great stuff everyone is contributing with. Great idea crazyfool!

Ravenslayer that is awesome! I'm really digging this in lowpoly form. He's a great fit with that silhouette.

For iOS week I'm doing a low poly 3d version of a Hero Academy board (http://www.robotentertainment.com/games/heroacademy). If you haven't played that game it's on Steam as well (feel free to challenge/beat me username: jeffro).

Anyway here is my current progress. Just blocking things in right now.

artjam_ios_003.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Wow guys all those darksider sculpts are ass kicking. Great effort everyone!

Here is my take on it. Now time to move on to some IOS-Awesomeness!

slave_zero_artjam_darksiders_s.png
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Here's an update. This is a render of my polypaint in Zbrush. I touched up a couple highlights in PS, because I couldn't get them to work the way I wanted in ZB. I have very little experience with hand-painted texturing, so I hope it works.

*Edit : I'm going to try and rework part of the spine, as I'm not happy with how it came out. I just want to try another method. If it works, I'll post the result later.

vBf3Py4.png
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    I have been dieing to do some low poly handpainted stuff for ages now..
    Made a concept a while ago, I'll finally start the model for it.

The head and scarf are placeholders.

I like the side view for this model, I think it looks nice and dynamic. Im not so sure abe the front view though. Any suggestions on making it look more dynamic would be appreciated.

LPGirl2.png
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    bbox: from the front it looks like an idle pose (legs hanging and arms relaxed) and from the side it looks like a dynamic pose (legs planted and muscles tense). I think, plant the legs and maybe separate them more, and arms normally curve out after the elbow when seen from the front, so adding that could help?

iOS makes me think of all the Minecraft "inspired" games with boxy characters, so I made a boxy boxer:

QN0jqx9.png
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! Looks allot better now imo.
    What bother me was that the front view looked pretty straight, it was basically just a straight line, while the side view was nice curve. I focussed too much on the torso to fix the straightness, while I should have focussed on the limbs. =]

So thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway after fiddling with it a bit more.. I cant choose on the pose of the legs..
    I feel the spread legs look too manly, but than again I want this chick to look like a tough one and feel like the feminine version.. looks too soft/reticent.
    So... once again I turn to you, dear polycounters. What do you guys like best?

LPGirl3.png

LPGirl4.png

The blocky dude looks cool man, though I feel like it looks a bit too blocky in certain areas. Maybe you could mix some straight blocks with 45 degree turned blocks so there are less gaps in the model?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    bb0x wrote: »
    Thanks man! Looks allot better now imo.
    What bother me was that the front view looked pretty straight, it was basically just a straight line, while the side view was nice curve. I focussed too much on the torso to fix the straightness, while I should have focussed on the limbs. =]

So thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway after fiddling with it a bit more.. I cant choose on the pose of the legs..
    I feel the spread legs look too manly, but than again I want this chick to look like a tough one and feel like the feminine version.. looks too soft/reticent.
    So... once again I turn to you, dear polycounters. What do you guys like best?

LPGirl3.png

LPGirl4.png

The blocky dude looks cool man, though I feel like it looks a bit too blocky in certain areas. Maybe you could mix some straight blocks with 45 degree turned blocks so there are less gaps in the model?

Don't do the inward pointed knees, thats a bad idea for a modeling pose because you might run into some skinning/rigging problems especially on something so low-poly. Also, I would change the hand pose and have the palms pointed down instead of forward because you're gonna have a hard time with deformation when you rotate the hands.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the input. I am not too concerned about the model pose and how it would affect a rig, as I am not planning on rigging it anyway. I might just do the legs in a more neutral position and twist 'em afterwards again.

For the arms/hands being in that position.. I'll have to do some tests and how it will affect the model. Most of the time when I model the hands with the palms pointing inward I put a slight twist in the forearms, but figured for this model to keep most of it straight and twist it afterwards.

Since this was mostly planned for hand painted textures, I didn't care about the model and how it would affect a possible rig really. ^_^
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Cool stuff this week so far. Looking forward to the next few days. I'm about wrapped up on this week's piece. The whole thing is 3691 polys and using a 512 texture (though I could and should chop it to a 256 if/when I come back to this). Vertex lit inside of Maya. It's from the iOS game Hero Academy.

jeffparrott_hero_acad_01.jpg
  • reaxion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reaxion polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work!

My contribution. Some wips from last week after work hours . Was keeping Vigil and more so Darksiders in mind. Nothing is super polished I was going for volume and working out some kinks in my workflow, having fun, keepin it real.

q0sKmlY.jpg
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    part3.jpg

Some more work. Any glaring anatomy flaws? Granted she is suppose to be super stylized. Hair is still a work in progress.
  • Mark56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my first post on this forum. Hope you will like it. :)
    crystals%2Ball.png
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Jeff: very cool, and congrats on getting featured on their FB page :)
    dtschultz: great work, love the accentuated edges
    bbox,kurt: good to see some more lowpolys , hope to see the finished ones :)

Heres my final for this week, it was great fun doing one of these
    569_max.jpg

also, wheres the rest???
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome Ravenslayer!!! Yea this one was really tough so I don't blame it for not being too popular, I've done some scribbles but been really busy and nothing was good enough to show haha, the next one will be better :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Ravenslayer: So kickass man.

Decided to muster together an old concept.

http://p3d.in/6sBwJ/shadeless
    mosquitoblade.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Daven, raven nice work I really like that weapon.

Wondering what Jam topic their will be for tomorrow.
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
  • Armageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armageddon polycounter lvl 5
    I want to play that right now.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Thats looking awesome anthony.
    you tease us with what could be.
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    weisheng yuss!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovely stuff Weish and Daven.

next topic time :)
    COMIC BOOKS!!!!

hideouts, props, concepts, environments, characters, whatevers, anything goes :)

If you still have stuff from the previous themes feel free to post em up still
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    soz very late to the party but heres my dishonored bust I started ages ago and just had some time to finish today took about 5hrs

I want to put a top hat on him still haha

dishonoredchallenge_bust.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    YAY Comic Books!! Plus I've actually got some spare time to take part. I've been lurking in this thread during my breaks and you guys have been producing some fantatsic art.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with next.

I think i'll go for a Cable bust for my entry and since I'm really enjoy Cable & X-force at the moment I think I will go with his latest appearance with the eye patch.
  • pooketz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like I'm just in time for comic books; am I right in thinking it's just a case of joining/posting the shots here? No Signing up or filled slots? Anyway, sounds like a total blast and I'll join in if it's OK to!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    pooketz wrote: »
    It looks like I'm just in time for comic books; am I right in thinking it's just a case of joining/posting the shots here? No Signing up or filled slots? Anyway, sounds like a total blast and I'll join in if it's OK to!

Yeah mate just post away with you progress and good luck.

Little update from me. Got most of his face blocked in, still needs some playing about with but it's getting there. To do list is his scar, eye patch, hair and the top half of his suit. Stay tuned.

Cable_Bust_WIP_01_zpsaac64373.jpg
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, a lot of great stuff.
    Always wanted to make proper comicbook character.
    Made a blockout, tomorrow I`ll find some good references for style and proportions, to make her look more interesting :)

Also trying out a new thing - working with symmetry completely off, turned out to be kind of fun :)

WonderWoman_wip_01.jpg
  • pooketz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a WIP of mine, it had to be this guy - hope you dig!
    This is turning out to be a blast for sure, I can't wait to pose him - in fact, I'll get right on it. :giggle:
    spideyman_by_puddlefisher-d5vuyeg.jpg
  • keosar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16