Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Home Entertainment System

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys!

I wanted to work on a prop to push my high poly modelling and baking skills, so I chose to make this home entertainment chair system by the fabulous LOISH! :

home_entertainment_system_by_loish-d5o3hyf.jpg

This is what I have so far, and it is VERY VERY WIP so please feel free to crit!

424423_10152447747475037_6650997_n.jpg

2e1ywlu.jpg

2a5axc0.jpg

Replies

• mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I like the work on the machine so far, but the chair has lost all style! Thin the sides and angle the armrests like in the concept. The added style of the chair helps to emphasize and contrast the hard-edged machine.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    The first thing i notice is that you're not observing how the concept artist intended for the various parts to interact with one another, and what materials they're made out of. For example the front half of the dome looks like it has a leather fabric draped over it and sewn to the machine. I would say actually model that leather as if it were sewn down, and even model the stitches.

It also happens on the legs of the chair. The legs in the concept look as if they're protruding from under the cloth that the chair is made out of. In your model the legs are just an extrusion of the chair geo.

Hope this helps!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mospheric, I'm going to definitely push the design of the chair! :)

Thanks so much Wester, I never noticed how it seems like leather till you pointed it out actually! Need to study my concept more! Definitely going to implement your suggestions.

So I worked on the upper part of the chair today since I'm going to come back and tackle the chair all at one (I think I'm going to make it again really). I'd love some suggestions on the parts I've modelled that can't be seen in the concept, because I really just winged it and hoped for the best!

EDIT: Just noticed the normals need to be reversed on the back of the dish, EEPS!

sv2ruw.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    28buvk5.jpg

So I spent today working on the back of the chair; I'm going for the Chesterfield back button leather style. I've done it over and over so many times, and this is the closest I've got it to actually looking anything like it, and it's still missing the seams in between the buttons.

Also, it's not attached to the actual chair, and I'm totally stumped about how I would go about doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions, I feel like I've hit a bit of a bump in the road!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a new render, any suggestions on what to do for the chair?

530721_10152455281525037_606423181_n.jpg
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Cool concept, haven't heard of Loish, bookmarked!

You have some proportion issues going on, the majority of the electrical units on the top start at the top end of the dome. So it's a lot more taller than what you have got at the moment.

The chair should taper out and the legs should be a separate mesh as in real life they are separate components. The shape of the arm rest should be swooping out.

The whole shape of the thing is like a light bulb which gives it, it's character.

Follow the concept and model the wall and mount the thing on it and add the floor.

You've made a good start but from the look of it, its seems you've jumped straight into sub-d and not done a quick low poly block out getting the shapes right. When you do that you really do start looking at the concept much more critically than normal.

I hope that helps.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ex-Ray! Thanks so much for the reply. I'll definitely start blocking out in the earlier stages after this project, that was a big mistakes. I moved the legs like you said, and I'm gonna do the wall and the floor/pipes :D

I've baked the whole thing now. Mapping took me AGES because I'd never really approached something this complex, and I found the pipes and wires really hard, but the lovely Mr Sean VanGorder introduced me to some scripts for Maya which really helped. It's not perfect, but I've learnt so much it's been invaluable.

I still need to sort out the chair cushion and arms!

46762_10152528635215037_2105253224_n.jpg

It's currently at 9,500 polys.