Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Cleric

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Arno polycounter lvl 8
3D_Cleric_Cinematic_Render_Final_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

Wire

3D_Cleric_Cinematic_Render_Wire_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

Finally made the final render for this model, it's ment to be a cinematic model, clockin in at around 200k no displacement maps used.

A more detailed discription I also posted on cgtalk and my cghub.
This is the first completed project after graduation. I started working on this right after finishing my previous character the asian mage. But went a year abroad to study fine arts. Now I finally had time to revisit and finish this piece, applying many lessons learned from the classical arts.

The overall workflow was very standard. I made a basemesh in maya, detailed it in a sculpting package ( in this case Mudbox ) and baked the result to a lower poly model. Texturing was done in Photoshop, Mudbox was used for projection painting. Rendering was completely done in Mental ray. Post effects such as the rays and atmosphere where applied in Photoshop.

The idea was to create fantasy character that could exist in the same world as my previous character, only representing a different culture, religion and personality.

Hope you guys like it, looking forward to the response.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! Very pretty, good work.
  • TehSplatt
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
  • Johan3043
    Oh wow this looks beautiful! Awesome work man!
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Ye gods, man; I thought that was the concept!
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Man I think shes a really nice character - great job!!

Some thoughts:

*Closed the skirt up with the same lacy material from her shoulders. ie full skirt instead of half skirt with legs showing to increase 'verticality'

* Made the bonnet(?) taller to increase that level of peity and to again increase 'verticality'

* Raised the thigh guards up so they hang off her hip - this will make her seem taller without making her taller - to again increase verticality :)

Why so much verticality ? Clerics are faithful, devoted to a god or gods, you have god rays, or beams of holy light, these are all nice straight tall / vertical shapes so naturally making her something like that will make her seem closer to achieving her goals as a cleric whatever they may be :)
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I don't like shoulders. Other than that. If all clerics would look like this I would to church again :D.
  • A-Train
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic work :) can't wait to see more from you! I really dig the character, interesting clothing/armour combination. Nice pose as well. Keep it up.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Damn. THAT is clean. Nice work. Saved.
  • Wingednosering
    Very impressive, especially on the rendering/texturing side. I'm not big on the clothing design, but after Hitman Absolution's trailer, I'm not surprised to see sexy nuns running around.
  • Arno
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks to you all guys,

Hazardous, thanx for all the feedback ! You are the master of female characters.
    All your suggestions are super clear, I am pretty much calling this render done. But there are two armour variations that I am thinking of making. And I'll defenaitly incorparete your tips in those designs :)

I've added the concepts below. ( Disclaimer they are 3 years old, already ) If you have more suggestions for those. That whould be awesome ! Also a paint-over for the upcomming two concepts whould be much apreciated if you see stuff that can be massively improved.

Arno_Schmitz_Cleric_Armour_Levels.jpg

Also for the people, who are into the rendering sides of things such Wingednosering I added a close up of the cross below.There is so many detail in it that the wide shot doesn't really do it justed. All the little decorative things on the side are modeled in. And the inlay is just a nice high-rez texture.

Arno_Schmitz_Cleric_Cross.jpg
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    What a beautiful render, saved to my inspirations folder for sure!
    Any chance of a quick breakdown on how you made this?
  • Arno
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    I am working on a tutorial as we speak but it will probably still take a while until I have finished it. It's a pretty standard workflow anyway, the only thing out of the ordinary is that there was not much sculpting involved except for all the skin parts.