[WIP] Billions and Billions

polycount sponsor
Online / Send Message
Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
Latest Update:

FzdMejg.jpg

_____

Original Post:

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with anatomy, it is a good time to start the practice of achieving a likeness. Here is one of my favorite scientists. I'm trying to get the larger forms as close as possible before moving on to finer details. Hopefully he is at least somewhat recognizable at this point.

GOnYZVC.jpg

Replies

• CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    It took me a couple seconds to guess Sagan (the title was a big giveaway), so I think you are headed in the right direction. Right now he predominately looks like a Native American, though.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I get what you mean about the Native American resemblance. I worked the features a little more and shifted the hue of his skin away from red, hope it helps. With that being said, he does posses some Native American features, no?

Started work on the rest of his body. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the lapel and collar of his jacket. Is it better to add them as additional geometry of just sculpt them in? Does it even matter?

tatjAv3.jpg

J6tpxwW.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good thus far. This video here ought to be a descent reference for lapels, even if you aren't using Blender:
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/2012/07/30/creating-a-realistic-head-in-blender-part-07-clothing/
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the quintessential sagan suit helps.

Looking forward to this!
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic, now I have to watch Cosmos all over again. It's a pretty strong likeness already, keep it up.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Here's an update. I think I've been staring at this too long. I can't tell if the facial features are any more accurate than in my last post. Started sculpting the hair, and put some more details in the clothing. Thanks for the link, Marshal, it was very helpful. :thumbup: Can anyone recommend a good guide for sculpting drapery? I've gone back and forth on some clothing folds several times and haven't reached a result that I can commit to.

zdhAmj8.jpg

CgZRRrU.jpg

WRjtUeE.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You might want to look at some of these 3d scans to see how clothing folds, not exactly a tutorial but pretty good reference.
    http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php/default/full-body-scans.html
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Awesome reference, ZacD, I'll put it to good use.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    haha recognized him immediately!

@ZacD - omfgwtfbestincredible reference!!!
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    brwnbread, thanks for the feedback! Your work has been an inspiration to me, and am stoked that you took the time to look at my thread.

Quick update, please keep the crits coming. I've ditched the placeholder materials for now, I feel like they're getting in the way of modeling the forms.

I think I'm at a point on the face where I can start adding some asymmetry without worrying too much about having to adjust any major forms in the future. I pray that the paint-over gods will bathe me in their sweet, heavenly mana.

I could also use some feedback on the clothing. This is the first time I've really attempted drapery and want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction before I get started on the slacks. If there was ever a time that I needed some serious criticism on this sculpture, now is it.

edit: Please ignore the ugly jacket pocket, its just a placeholder.

Thanks again to everyone that has commented, every bit of feedback is tremendously helpful.

uwJakLg.jpg

s2p1Z7E.jpg

U5z3hsu.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Is it considered rude to bump a thread in this section? Just desperate for some crits.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread, thanks for the feedback! Your work has been an inspiration to me, and am stoked that you took the time to look at my thread.

LOL, no way! thats pretty cool! thanks man

As for crits, I'm not sure howt o explain this, but at the moment, I think your creases and folds look like the material is too loose for it self? Like each individual piece. For example, look at the collar, it looks as though teh material is just resting there loosely instead of being pulled tight between whereever its sewn (or pulled to an amount that there would be no creases). The material you picked might be contributing to this though.

The wrinkles you probably want need to look like they are from pushing and pulling. OR creased from previous pushing and pulling. I cant go into technique cus I don't 100% know, but if you google how to draw/sculpt cloth you might find some stuff on the direction of wrinkles.

I think his face should be wider too

hope that helps
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Small update for this weekend:

FzdMejg.jpg

brwnbread, thanks for the explaination, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down. I reworked the folds so they fall in a more logical manner. Also started trying to bring out some of the more faceted nature of drapery.

I've also widened his face ever so slighting, and brought his ears closer to his jawline.

Still not happy with it, but I suppose I could just sit here and tweak endlessly and never get this thing finished. Unless there are any glaring inaccuracies, I'm going to start wrapping up the highpoly and move on to retopologizing, UV mapping, and texturing in the next week.

Here's my current to-do list before moving on to retopology:

1. Detail hair and eyebrows
    2. Eye lashes
    3. Detail pass on face and hands
    4. Turtleneck
    5. Belt loops, pants pockets and fly seams
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Ha, Carl Sagan, you are a true redditor. Seriously though its looking very nice. I agree with the comments about the Native American features, but I really like the style. I think the spine might be a bit forward leaning, but overall really nice job.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Haha, yeah, my friends tell me I'm sitting on a mountain of karma, but I wanted to wait until this is complete before posting it on reddit. Thanks for checking the thread out, man.

I think I have a tendency to exaggerate the curvature of the spine, I think it gives a more confidant posture, as heroes are typically depicted leading with their chest. Its probably not appropriate for every subject, and it may be over-done in this case as Sagan tended to be a more humble character. But because he's a personal hero of mine, I'll pull out the excuse of artistic license.

I agree that the very early versions did lean heavily toward Native American features, and I attempted to address that to the best of my ability. It seems like Sagan shares a few of the stereotypical features: large, curved nose, pronounced cheekbones, bushy eyebrows, straight, dark hair. Could you offer any specific modifications that might enhance the likeness?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Well I think there are a couple things. First, Sagan kind of has a weak jaw, where-as you have him here with a very full line that drops down almost equal to his chin. Also, he might have higher cheekbones, but they are eclipsed by the fat in his cheeks. Reducing his jaw and fattening his cheeks I think will go a long way to getting a likeness and removing the native american thing. One thing also is that he's very red in your image...

Beyond that, Sagan has the typical pot-smoker eyelids (that's a joke, but he does have very visible eyelids), and what one might call 'severe' bags under his eyes. Even when he was younger he had these.

I think all this, coupled with 'humbling' his posture, as you said it, will do quite a bit.

Anyways, sorry it took me so long to reply. Hope to see an update soon.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not happy with it, but I suppose I could just sit here and tweak endlessly and never get this thing finished.

Yeah, for real man.

The new face looks better, I do agree with ysalex on the pose, it feels too forward even for a super hero.