Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prometheus: M.Vickers,Updated Work, and New Portfolio.

I had to turn my work around after a meeting with an art director in the summer, and either kill off weak pieces in my portfolio, or update them.
So i chose to update them, as I was still proud of them/emotionally attached.

http://ravanna.wix.com/portfolio

Still not managed to get a junior job, despite a few good companies showing interest.

I also started Meredith Vickers/Charlize theron around the time I was interviewed at Geurilla.

Slightly image heavy!
#
#
Prometheus:

Charlize1600.jpg

Realtime shaders, very proud of this one:
Snowglobe2.jpg
#
#

GIMLI:

"3dtotal excellence award" for handing it in to pdf magazine
GimliSml.jpg
#
#

PREDATOR:

All of the updated predator was screen-grabbed rather than rendered, as it shows a more accurate look in game-engine.

Preadtor_3ps_hi.jpg

Snowglobe:
3ps_snowglobe_hires.jpg

#
#

Please look over the new page, I tried to keep it simple and explain my work.

PORTFOLIO

Replies

• Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I love them, are they cinematic models or game models?
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    What do you use for your renders? It all looks amazing!
  • PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work Ravanna! Everything about Gimli is spot on, the hair, skin, armour, cloth, really great job.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for your next thread, thanks for sharing
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    You got some pretty good work man, you should find a gig soon if you keep looking I'm sure :)
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Lephenix: all except Gimli are game models, averaging around 20k per character.
    @ akacg: Gimli rendered in BPR in Zbrush, all others are screen-grabbed in 3dsmax, except the main prometheus image, mental ray.

Cheers guys! :)
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some awesome work in here ravanna! gd job!!!
  • Party Priest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truly wonderful work on all of them. I took a look at the rest of your portfolio and they're also great!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Big fan of your work, and that prometheus character is an excellent addition to your portfolio! I hope you find a good job with this, you deserve it :)
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I totally agree with everyone else here, the quality in your work is great, but man that doesn't look anything like Charlize Theron. Well, maybe with some serious lemon-face, but if anything she looks like the villain from Uncharted 3.

Most of the features are there, but there's a few small things that throw everything else off. I made a small paintover guide here from the movie-still you based your render on. The angle of your render is a bit different and that does have an effect, so I've just marked off the main points in red.

side-note: does the helmet you made actuall fit the model? it looks like it's about 3 sizes too big here, but that may again be the render angle.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    yea I agree with Scudz, the quality of the work is really nice, and the prometheus model is really solid, but when recreating something with such clear reference, when you line the 2 up like Scudz has done above, there's quie a lot of discrepancy, not just in terms of a likeness, but more simple things like material definition and colours are a bit off, which as a lead looking for a character artist, might throw up questions of how well you're able to stick to a concept

that all sounds really negative though, i really like your work otherwise!
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    through-out making her face, i was told by others to make it "younger and sexier to appeal to the market" or some tripe.

So the inspiration from references became a schizophrenic mish mash.

And tbh I could probably improve massively in a week if I learnt from others in the industry, sitting here in a dark bedroom without money for tutorials is not conducive to new skill sets.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post your wips on polycount, it's the only tutorial you'll ever need and it's totally free. Well, as long as you don't let the occasional blunt crit get you down ;)

The whole "younger/sexier" thing is a valid (if subjective) point if your just going for a generic female model. But if your goal is to recreate a character from a specific source, like a movie, than that should be your primary source of reference. Actors looks can change dramatically from role-to-role and that can have a pretty big effect on your ability to sell the model as the character. Just sticking with Charlize, most of the time she looks like Charlize, but there's still subtle differences between say Aeon Flux, Hancock and Prometheus. But Pro is the one with the right age and makeup style that fits the character of M. Vickers. On the other hand you could do a perfect 1:1 of her from Monster and it would be unquestionably Charlize, but it still wouldn't be M. Vickers. (I'm going throigh the same thing with a Tugg Speedman model trying to find ref that has the right detail without being to old or fat/skinny).

Anyways hopefully that makes some kind of sense.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it does indeed! looking over my references, may be an issue, they're completely random from all different films and red-carpet events.

I should have spent more time creating a front/side high res reference image.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    well... after you get the proportions fixed or any other fixes you need to do i'd like to see the colors on the suit match to the movie ref only because there is greater contrast and the colors are more vibrant :D
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    great job on the suit :) I know what a pain in the butt it is to find good reference of it, especially from the back. Might be a good little project to have another go at her face, Im sure polycount will help you out :D

I'd say be a bit careful with the 3 point studio logo aswell, Im guessing its for the shader so might be best to pop 'shader' underneath maybe to avoid confusion.

Great work though, love Gimli :)
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I can't get enough of Gimli, Mr. Dwarf Master. Keep it up!
  • KLehrer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gimli looks stunning, i also like Meredith back :thumbup:
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Your work keeps improving, the fact that you had an interview at somewhere like Guerrilla Games means that you are definetly good enough, now you just need a bit of luck.

Just out of curiosity as a fellow Brit, did you have to fly out there for the interview or was it a phone/Skype interview?
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey barnes, hows things? :D they did a 90 min phone interview, then a few weeks later flew me out, they paid for flights and hotel amounting to 400-500 euros, I just had to fund the trains/buses/food. The personal interviews were hell, but it was interesting travelling somewhere new.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Things aren't too bad at the moment thanks, just working full-time freelance on iOS stuff then trying to work on my next gen stuff as well in my free time. Not enough hours in the day, I am thinking of packing in sleeping and having a caffeine drip fitted instead lol

Jeez 90 mins on the phone, I bet that was a strange experience :O That is good that they paid the flight etc, I was thinking it would be a lot of money to fork out if they didn't.

I use Wix for my website as well, if you pay £8 or £6 a month then you can get rid of their domain thing and all of the advertising stuff which would make it look more professional.

It would be cool if you could join in on some Google+ hangouts, there aren't enough of us Brit's on there at the moment!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    that's a pretty good experience, the fact you got as far as you did means your work is good enough. Do you mind telling me about the personal interviews and why they were so bad?

The shit I hate most is when the HR people grill you in that awful way only HR people can, asking you things like "can you give an example of when you've overcome difficulties" or some vague shit like that, nothing makes my mind go more blank...
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice work man. I just thought I'd add a bit to what Scudz mentioned about the likeness. Her cheekbones are actually much more pronounced than what you have and the pinching around her mouth make your model feel much older than the actress.

CharlizeTtheron_Paintover.jpg
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was pictures like this that threw me off.

I would like to do more faces, but I dont think i stand to look at her face any longer

@ace: I had 3 interviews with different sets of people. the HR guy was fine, it was very relaxed. interview with 2 lead ch.artists was slightly tense, and they continued to play the game "guess what i'm thinking" by giving me random phrases and hoping i'd figure out the technical name for eg. certain muscles in the body.

Most questions I had neither heard of nor prepared for.
    The final interviews with the art directors was basically super awkward and I froze.

Not relaxed enough for interviews ^_^.