Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple of Alduin (Skyrim FanArt) IMHEVY

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
So I wanted to learn a bit more about UDK, and terrain art. In my experience if you want to learn a new tool, make something you love... and I happen to love that old Skyrim!

This is the very start of something that I have planned out. It's still ruff, and about 1/3ish/less done, so please take that into account. Also, I made all the assets and fx, whatever you see. So if something jumps out at you as being horrible let me know! Its my fault ;) Still, I thought I would post some stuffs.

This is a brief idea of what I have planned out- I wanted to start the player out in a dark forest that leads to a small clearing. A treacherous path will then take you to hidden ice caves leading deep through the mountains. After making it through the caves, you'll see a tall spiraling stair case reaching into the heavens, up and up you'll go to finally reach the Resurrection Temple of Alduin. The doors to the temple are massive, and much like Alduin's Wall, tell a story. The doors shows the truth; the false hero of Skyrim only managed to destroy a vestige of world destroyer. Each panel of the door will tell a certain tale... and the end how Alduin will return for his vengeance.

dark forest (blurry hard to see until you make it to the clearing)

Intro01.jpg

Intro02.jpg

SK04.jpg

SK05.jpg

SK01.jpg

SK08.jpg

SK09.jpg

SK02.jpg

Here is a really crappy youtube video, (if anyone can tell me how to get a good video capture, and through it up on the net with some HD action I would really appreciated it) The compression/frameRate/Colors are super bad. IF you watch it please do so at its highest ratings, (full screen it to see the trees move and water splashes below the waterfall. Thanks

Please HD... or its going to be even worst! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1T9HozSK-8&fmt=22

Replies

• DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty nice. The only thing that really got to me was:

1. mist of the waterfall (the location of the effect seemed a bit off at the lowest level).

2. speed of the river below given its proximity to the rushing waters of the waterfall...

I'm no waterfall expert. I've never even seen one in real life. But those two things seemed odd to me.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Your rocks look too uniform to my eyes. Add in a few more shapes (A few slightly blobby and a few more that are sharp and defined like what you have, but different shapes).

It's most noticeable in the far shots. Up close they look pretty great. Other than that, looks great!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks really good! I like the terrain and the rocks for sure. The only thing that bugs me is I think the rocks are too uniform in color. I like the red a lot, but I would add in some lighter greys and browns to give it a bit more depth and variety.

You don't have to go this extreme, but you can see in the redder areas of the rock how there is more variety in the tones of reds, greys, and browns.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/DirkvdM_rocks.jpg

I really like the snow and ice. I've never tried to set up a snow and ice shader. How did you do that?
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! Maybe adding small details like rocks, grass, bushes, abandoned campfire site etc. snow falling maybe?

@dtschultz: i think its the vertex painting with upvector blending. Not sure if thats what zombiewells is using.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero- I agree, I'll get on some better looking mist, and some light water splashes. I'll also speed up the water flow.

nice rock ref Dtschultz! (and Rurouni Strife) It shouldn't be too hard to get some better break up in the mat or the shader. As for the shapes of the rocks; well sadly I only have the long rock group, and some rock pile groups. I am planning on making broader rocks, stacked or layered rocks. and some heavy erosion rocks... I know that's a lot of rocks. As for the snow, you could use an up/z facing world position and use it in a lerp as the alpha. That with one of your normal map channels as shrink and grow mask should do the trick. I didn't do that though.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome! +1 sub :D

Can you show some sculpts of rocks or something else? I just please :D I just started learning Zbrush, so it could helps mi a lot.

Ps. Sorry for my english.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Very impressive GREAT SKY. It was very subtle but I noticed the clouds moving in the background great job.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had a bit of help from some wonderful folks here at polycout to get some better video for the in-game stuff. I'll show that latter and up date that horrible video I sent out. Still, here are two of the hi-res rocks, more to come. Also the sky is fully dynamic, and the sun will hide behind the clouds, the trees move, and there are splashes in the water, (I swear) better video should help show it off. Thanks

RockSM01a.jpg

RockSM.jpg
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty nice scene and the sculpts! What sculpting software are you using?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start on the scene man. The tree textures look fantastic. Would you mind explaining your process for creating them? Pine trees and other conifers have always given me some trouble.
  • JamesHodgart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocks are excellent!