Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Three ladies, one month.

Two of my friends and I need to get back in the swing of things.

So we're challenging ourselves to complete a whole project in January.

So here we are. January is here and it's time to dive right in, right?

Wish us luck and determination!

Replies

• PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    that's great I hope you can post something on the thread so the community can see what you might be working on.

is it a collaboration or individual projects?
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three individual projects. All three of us just need to get our gears back in motion so we can start this year off right.

Sonia and Ann will have their concepts and such up midnight on the second at the latest.

But I plan on doing something along these lines-

concept_sheet1.jpg

It'll be just a sculpt.
    But it'll be my first time using z-brush fibers, which I'm so pumped for.
    And my first time doing a no symmetry sculpt.
    And my first multi-person sculpt.

=] I'm pumped.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    so many firsts, youre on fire lol
    i should do a no symmetry sculpt too!

anyhoo,good luck!
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay Julia, here is what I'm working on this month.

ninji_ref_zps8a38eb18.jpg

The main ref I'm using is the one in the top right corner. Since I'm using my own dog as my main inspiration, I'll be using his coat coloring and his fluffy tail in the sculpt.

Photoon2013-01-01at13472_zps3a8d3103.jpg
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dahahahahawww.

I can't waaaaiiit.
    Are you sculpting the fur or going with fibers?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice i like furry things. i'll watch o.O
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Oh nice. Been a long time since i've seen any good anthropomorphism characters. Can't wait to see the first concept or wip of this. Subbed to this thread.
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Julia wrote: »
    Dahahahahawww.

I can't waaaaiiit.
    Are you sculpting the fur or going with fibers?

I'll probably experiment with creating a fur brush or something. I haven't upgraded to the newer zbrushes yet, so can't experiment with the brushes and stuff they have for that already until I do, lol. Johanna wants to do a fur system at some point too, so I'll probably wait to do a majority of fur work.
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry to say Ms. Sonia will not be joining us.
    She acquired actual paying freelance work, so I can't blame her.

So now that ann and I have our concepts together. We'll have our first wip up very soon!
    I hope every that's subbed here will be very happy with the final results and help with critiques along the way!
    =DD
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just gonna drop this here.

ninji_base_zps71ec9179.jpg

I know I still have a long ways to go. The feet and ears are giving me a bit of problems right now. Feet especially since I wanted them digitigrade. No matter of tweaking they just don't seem right to me. =/
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is whole, no x-symmetry thing is going to turn out a lot harder than I thought it would.

But things are pushing forward. I started by doing to very base models, now I'm posing them and I know it looks super silly, but hey. I gotta put something up. =]

screen-shot-2013-01-06-at-10-40-13-pm.png
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking great, Ann!

I'd say try and push the knees forward a little, more like a dogs. I know its supposed to have human-ish legs, but I think it would help make your feet look less like weird high-heel feet.

Also. Bless your heart on those paws. I tried to so some once, member? Dear lord they're hard. And then they start looking like really skinny hands and then you just get super creeped out and can't look at your reference anymore.

I hope you have a better time with them than I did. XD
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs more fur i'm not happy yet.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    makecg wrote: »
    Needs more fur i'm not happy yet.

He also needs a bigger bulge.
    Other than that looks great so far.
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninji_sculpt_1_zpsfa4f2306.jpg

Sorry I haven't got much done since last time, been sick all week. Anyway I think things are starting to shape up nicely. I'm liking the legs much better this way. Thanks Julia. So arms, head and torso fixes are in the future. Hopefully clothes soon too lol.
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, no update tonight. I decided to take the weekend off since I have a long week ahead for work. I'm also having computer issues at the moment too. :< Hopefully it is as simple as them just replacing the battery. So yeah sorry Julia, probably will need more than a month to finish this pup.
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to post an update tonight when I get home from work.

I'm pretty excited. =]
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really excited <3
  • Julia
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.
    Well. I'm so completely disappointed in my progress that I'm setting this project down for a while, picking up a different one.
    But I think Ann is still pushing along. =] So that's good.
    It's just so hard to work after working a full day. We're so young and fresh out of college, I think we went overboard with the time limit. XD
    Anyway. Ann will eventually update after she gets a good weekend of work done or something. =] I hope we didn't disappoint you guys too much so far.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    In my opinion, I think for the no symmetry part. I think you should get all the basic shape/ detail down first before moving to no symmetry. It'll save a lot of time. The face could use some more work.
    Besides that keep it up!
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninji_sculpt_2.jpg

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been awhile and that the sculpt is still kinda behind on looks, but I hope to get a lot done this week since my seasonal job is over. For the moment I'm gonna leave the body be and move onto the clothing, but I will return and get all the other goodies (like fur lol) in there. I also wanna do a mouth bag for this char, but I have a feeling that's gonna be a big pain once I get there. Meh we'll see.
  • Julia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ann. =] I'm glad to see an update. =]
    The only things that really stick out to me are-
    You should try to maybe tilt his ears a little more straight up and down from the front. Does that make sense? Most dogs with stiff ears like that, you can see they do have a tilt on them but seem more straight up and on top of their heads. Unless you were really middle grounding the ears.
    Second. I'd make the top of his head just a smidge wider, not including the ears. I might be wrong, but I think it feel a little more canine?
    And lastly.
    Don't be afraid to really cut those muscles in and make him pretty muscular. You're going to be covering him in fur and clothes. So a lot of your shapes might get lost, and you did so well on them I'd hate for him to look very blobby.
    Speaking of which. You're doing the clothes before the fur? won't you be missing the volume of the fur under the clothes?
  • LeSage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get what you're saying about the ears, they are facing out too much and not enough forward. I can fix that. The top of the head I will examine and determine whether a change needs to be made. Right now I'm not sure it is necessary, but with the changing of the ears things will have to be adjusted anyhow.

I didn't go too crazy with the muscles specifically because they were gonna be covered up. But I suppose depending on how the fur looks I may have to cut it in deeper which is not really a problem. And since I sort of took a bit of a break from the sculpt, I'll probably just leave the clothes as the bases I have for now and get back to guy's body.

Thanks for your help!