Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Caleb Jones

Hi, My name is Caleb Jones. So this one time in 2006, I pulled an old server out of the scrap pile at the landfill. Now I have a BA in Game Art & Design via The Art Institute of Atlanta...long story short, it turns out a Parallel Terminator was more fact than fiction and Windows could just be a pun on that room we call the human condition..anyway that is besides the point...My passion is to design characters & creatures. I am currently working to align my habits in order to improve my workflow, timeliness and resistance to drawing the blank. I will be doing a series of Bi-Weekly speed sculpts to better track and manage my productivity. I plan to sculpt a concept from start to finish within an hour, and texture or paint within an hour. I yet to practice speed sculpting as a normal routine and I have only completed a few speed sculpts. I am sure I will be creaking with rust and shaky with style, but I am determined to find some orchestra deep down that says "Thats Me!" Also, I have just started attempting to use color & lighting to my advantage rather than just for balance. I hope you will enjoy my speed sculpting concepts!

A fellow student and I will also post the progression of this work on a collaborative blog located at:

http://tangentlight.blogspot.com/

Day 1: Today
Concept: Barnacle Sandwich
Time Spent: 2 Hours 20 minutes
Title: Barbell's Gooseknuckler W/ Cheese
Programs Used:

Autodesk Maya -20 minutes
Pixologic zBrush -1 hour 55 minutes
Adobe Photoshop -5 minutes

barbellsGooseknuckler.png

I am sure critiques would be very helpful to me & I would encourage you to feel free to share your minds!

-Thanks!-

Replies

• gillmeister74
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    I mistook that sandwich for terrain from a ff tactics game! Haha that's great. But seriously well done that is indeed a rotten sandwich. Maybe in the future when doing mold add some green, blue, or torquise to make the gray mounds look a little less like rocks. Also is this the low poly? All and all pretty spiffy : )
  • Trapd00r
    Day 2: Today
    Concept: Mars Vegetation
    Time Spent: 3 hours
    Title: Methane Sprout
    Programs Used:

Autodesk Maya -20 minutes
    Pixologic zBrush - 2 hours 35 minutes
    Adobe Photoshop -5 minutes

methaneStalk.png
  • Trapd00r
    I mistook that sandwich for terrain from a ff tactics game! Haha that's great. But seriously well done that is indeed a rotten sandwich. Maybe in the future when doing mold add some green, blue, or torquise to make the gray mounds look a little less like rocks. Also is this the low poly? All and all pretty spiffy : )

I appreciate the kind words! I am doing 2 hour sculpt and paint exercises, so a friend and I are coming up with some strange topics..those are supposed to be Barnacles..there seemed to be two types..I choose what was called Goose Barnacles for it. I appreciate the tip for doing mold! I am sure that I will be using that. This was just a high poly sculpt done in zBrush and poly-painted. I have a low poly base mesh somewhere in there but due to time I think I just dyna-meshed the whole thing.