Home General Discussion

Google hangout: Friday Beast Night.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
I recently found out about polycounts google hangout sticky, which was awesome, and I thought it was an excellent way to network. Which brings me to my point; For the last few months, to push my skills, Ive been sacrificing sleep on fridays and pulling 38 hour waking marathons. Let me explain, I wake up at 6am, go to work come back to my dorm with a 10 pack of monsters at around 430pm, start creating at around 600pm and then continue on until 800pm saturday afternoon. So I guess what im saying is that ill be doing a 26 hour hangout Friday from 6pm to 8pm the next day.

You don't have to stay the whole time and breaks are encouraged but if your interested this Friday anyone is welcome to join!
Dont forget your fix (energy drinks, coffee, caffien pills...)

Thanks!

Replies

• Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    My advice is to not do this at all. Not that you shouldn't join in or host google hangouts or anything of that nature, but don't kill yourself man! Honestly. You're better off getting proper sleep, eating healthy (you can't subsist on energy drinks, coffee and caffeine pills) and getting your art on during normal business hours.

My 2 cents. ^
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    yea, i don't think this is healthy at all
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Sounds awesome but I'm sure everybody who can't keep up with you will feel like slackers, discouraging themselves.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    RJBonner wrote: »
    I recently found out about polycounts google hangout sticky, which was awesome, and I thought it was an excellent way to network. Which brings me to my point; For the last few months, to push my skills, Ive been sacrificing sleep on fridays and pulling 38 hour waking marathons. Let me explain, I wake up at 6am, go to work come back to my dorm with a 10 pack of monsters at around 430pm, start creating at around 600pm and then continue on until 800pm saturday afternoon. So I guess what im saying is that ill be doing a 26 hour hangout Friday from 6pm to 8pm the next day.

You don't have to stay the whole time and breaks are encouraged but if your interested this Friday anyone is welcome to join!
    Dont forget your fix (energy drinks, coffee, caffien pills...)

Thanks!

You realize how incredibly unhealthy Monsters are for you?

Lets put it this way, if your needing a drug to continue this long, when you no longer have access to this drug, you're going to burn out.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »

Lets put it this way, if your needing a drug to continue this long, when you no longer have access to this drug, you're going to burn out.

^Anything claiming to give you more energy or keep you up is unhealthy.

If you don't sleep this is for everyone, you can cause brain damage amongst other things... sleep is not for the weak It is for the intelligent.

I have been a victim though in the past I haven taken part in breaking night though It is not as cool as one might think, now I love sleep!:poly142:

Here at one point I attempted this.

Then look up the causes from no sleep.. might change a few minds.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I'll say this with the experience of a guy who hit Monster pretty hard a few years ago.
    Don't do what you're doing. It is seriously bad for you in the long run. If you're going to do sleep deprivation, do it the old fashion way...
    Pour ice water on your balls.

Having said that... Yay Hangouts.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the concern guys I appreciate it, hopefully it wont kill me ive done it enough times to have it to a science now. I do limit caffeinated drinks only for that day though and eat healthy otherwise and sometimes im unable to do it if I have job related standby.

I also sorry if I seemed douchey i didn't mean it that way, no pressure. People can come and go when they please. ;)
    If you're going to do sleep deprivation, do it the old fashion way...

Lol, Ill tell you how that goes tomorrow!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    MrHobo wrote: »
    I'll say this with the experience of a guy who hit Monster pretty hard a few years ago.
    Don't do what you're doing. It is seriously bad for you in the long run. If you're going to do sleep deprivation, do it the old fashion way...

Having said that... Yay Hangouts.

Trust me, this guy knows what he's talking about and he has a lot of professional experience with this kinda stuff.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh, dude you're gonna kill yourself.

You need that sleep otherwise you're going to get organ failure from repeated sleep deprivation. Eat some vegetables instead of sugar and caffeinated drinks, those are just for short term energy. Want real energy? Eat your greens and you'll have the power!

EDIT:

But seriously man, don't do it, we don't want a fellow polycounter dead! Caffinated drinks + sleep deprivation = REALLY FUCKIN HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. You're gonna get a heart attack buddy. Don't do it, we love you.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    do you drink all 10 of those? oo
    I was under the assumption that you should limit those to like 1 (2max) per 24 hours.

edit: remembered this
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4605284/monster-energy-drinks-sued-after-girl-dies.html

Even if you go trough with it, don't drink 10 of those, and make sure you actually drink water between those, so you atleast don't die from dehydration.

and I just don't see the point in staying awake for 26 hours straight unless your trying to make a deadline.

Doing like 10 hours + 6hours sleep + 10 hours is probably going to be more productive, even if you sleep those 6 hours.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    absolutely not worth it for any reason IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

it doesnt help productivity and it is also a form of torture used by CIA.

just saying...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there's no point to this.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    oXYnary wrote: »

Exactly, Red Bull released a light version, at least go with that!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    First I read responses and thought that everyone is acting like your mother... then I read your plan... pretty extreme man. I usually think about staying 2 more hours at night. Even that doesn't work for me. You need your rest man. You won't produce quality stuff while tired and poisoned by stuff like Monster. Try to manage your day time better.

In the end you will do as you like but it isn't worth it.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Personally I work better when I'm doped up on Caffeine or have some candy in me but maaaan the first time i tried using a monster as an allnighter stimulant It felt like my heart was going to explode. My chest was pounding painfully until I went to sleep

Be careful brah
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Idiot.

This is just a downright stupid thing to do.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I bet the quality of your work decreases the longer you work. So what's the point?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Theres no need to do all nighters to make free time for art

First thing you need to do is analyse what time you lose doing trivial stuff like facebook, youtube / watching tv / partying or just doing nothing and convert that into working/studying time

Next step would be to sleep less , lets say sleep 6 hours a night and make up for some lost sleep on sundays for example.

just find something manageable for yourself thats also a bit more healthy.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Too many energy drinks = stomach ulcers. Look them up.

If you want a tube down your throat and a needle INSIDE your stomach, and then for your stomach to never really heal fully again then yeah keep drinking them.

I got it when I was in school and I was pulling the shit you described above. Nobody should make the same mistake I did.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't want to pull the whole 26 hours you don't have to, I will, I have done it many times before. At around 1200 Saturday come around and say hi. Its just a thing guys, no need to be upset. As for the quality, the quality is relative to my mood, as long as im motivated and have a bit of caffeine in me my work wort suffer, haven had much of an issue. For me with a full time job I find it worth it sense doing this bumps my hours spent on my art a week from 20-30 hours per week to 40 -50 hours per week.

like I said before, no pressure, be safe and conservative. Ill see some of you later I guess.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    energy drinks are bad for you. Do some speed!

seriously, though. I don't even know how many caffeine benders i've gone on. I'm not the healthiest person, but it hasn't killed me yet. some times pushing yourself to a ridiculous limit for no apparent reason is fun. keeps things interesting at least.

In all honesty, I did MUCH unhealthier things when i was younger..with MUCH unhealthier chemicals...*ahem* yeah...lots. I find this outburst of concern for your wellbeing amusing.
    (i don't know if "unhealthier" is a word...but apparently i spelled it right, because it's not underlined.)

I'll probably pop in at some point if my kids let me - may even live it up and stay long enough for my wife to yell at me to go to bed!

are you just going to drop the link in the hang-outs thread? or in here?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill post the link in the hangouts thread, lol. Thanks for the support man!
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Just my 2 cents and a few numbers
    Coffee/caffeine info from mayo clinic
    For most healthy adults, moderate doses of caffeine — 200 to 300 milligrams (mg), or about two to four cups of brewed coffee a day — aren't harmful
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/NU00600

Amount of caffeine in one monster:
    160mg of caffeine per 16 ounce can
    http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/monster.

Frankly I'm not very sensitive to caffeine so there's not much of an effect on me. I can have a hot cup of joe and go right to sleep. It's the same with energy drinks for me.
    Bottom line is listen to your body, and don't push too far past your limits.
    Your mileage and caffeine sensitivity may vary.
    See you in the hangouts.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    It's not the caffeine in energy drinks that are harmful, it's the other stuff they throw into it that make it so acidic. That is what eats away at your stomach. You'd be better off taking caffeine pills and drinking juice or water if you really need caffeine, or just have coffee or tea.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I see this ending with a pulmonary embolism if you don't get up and move around enough. That's how those crazy marathon gamers die.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deep-vein-thrombosis/DS01005
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I've been drinking too many energy drinks for years, and no ulcers.

I'm not arguing that they're unhealthy - Lord knows they are...but I don't think they warrant the gasps of disgust i've seen around. Then again, I also smoke and don't excercise...so my advice is probably bad. really bad.

I've tried to keep myself restricted to good wholesome coffee as of late. (partially a health decision, but mostly a financial one. those drinks is expensive!) But i'll still drink a couple of pots a day if i allow myself...

I worked at a coffee shop for years when i was younger(dumber) and consumed a LOT of caffeine. did a lot of worse things around that same time...so my liver/kidneys are either badasses or just holding on to life...though i've never had a doctor express concern for them.

i'm gonna go drink a pot of coffee and take a nap now.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    forget about effects of energy drinks for a moment.

sleep deprivation is negatively proportional to your cognitive ability.

you literally become more stupid as you sleep less.

you are most productive right after you wake up from a good 6-8 hrs sleep.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there is nothing more we could add. In this job when you sit in front of the computer most of the day, caring about your health is important. Just like being fat. If you are fat because you choose to eat way too much and don't exercise then fuck you ;p Don't complain when consequences bite you in the ass.

Shame that people treat their health like that. Whatever floats your boat though. I wish you luck and good health!
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure 10 monsters and a couple of days without sleep isn't going to kill you unless you have some serious health issues to begin with.

I can't see a problem with this. If he wants to stay up and be productive and make some cool art then great.

I'll keep an eye out for the hangout link :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its up in the hangouts thread!
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Half an hour a day is better than burning out, crashing, only to burn out again. Plus everyone can find 30mins a day no matter what your work hours are like and it builds up over time.

Btw its cool to see so many polypeeps caring enough to tell you to snap out of it :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    done, 36 hours woo! will be doing this friday as well. see you all on the hangouts!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    now show before and after shots of what you were working on.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a good idea, never took screenshots of the before though. ill do it next time k.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    The original head after a few hours work:

IuMbS.jpg

The same model after 36 hours straight of work:

otpLf.jpg

I think we can all agree the quality of your work definitely improves with sleep deprivation, I'm so glad I tried this!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please tell me you are not joking : > it would be poetic justice!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Swap out the Monster for sugar free versions or coffee, they are utterly disgusting to your health. I stopped drinking energy drinks 6 months ago as I started to rely on them, started to get chest palpitations / problems + sitting down a huge percentage of my day is a recipe for disaster in the long run without regular exercise.

It all sounds like a bad idea dude, all of it. The energy drinks, the 38 hour marathon on fridays, all things which are risking your health and WILL affect it over time.To anyone reading, if you're feeling inspired to zerg out a new portfolio, do it daily and within the realms of healthy sleeping patterns, do not go crazy and risk your health for no reason, producing a good portfolio and improving your skills doesn't require you to dance with death.

Goodluck with it dude, just try and keep it as healthy as you can with the useless energy drinks!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the support!

At it again, Im starting at 130Pm Friday PM to 600pm Saturday. not 36 hours because I over slept but its still over 24 hours of art. got some tutorial to learn so I wont be in the hangouts tll later.

as suggested by gir here are some before pics, I might start a new prodject if I feel im starting to slow down.

whip-5_zpse4c1db9c.jpg

gatewip_zpsb27322a7.jpg

hpgaurd_zps7f58f19c.jpg
    wipslateA_zps0900ba99.jpg
    ^last 2 are part of a larger environment thats minimaly blocked out at the moment.Z
    Torch wrote: »

IuMbS.jpg

otpLf.jpg

I think we can all agree the quality of your work definitely improves with sleep deprivation, I'm so glad I tried this!

everyones different, why would you work on one head for 36 hours?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »

IuMbS.jpg

otpLf.jpg

haha, awesome!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipsculpt_zpsddc649a2.jpg
    the hair is just a place holder until I get a better idea on how to approach this.

whip2_zpsa8a98c26.jpg

grasswwip_zps8183721f.jpg

one of those times where you learn more than you get done. Transparency and alpha maps and exporting multiple sub tools from max into zbrush correctly.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see you in the hangouts!