Old (#1)
I made this as tribute to a great show, Breaking Bad.
If you are interested in the details, it's mostly dynamesh from a sphere, retopologized, uv-mapped, poly-painted and then I used fiber mesh for the facial hair. Two days of work.

I hope you like it, and merry Christmas!

Offline , line, 77 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Kyoto, Japan  

Old (#2)
Whoa.
This is a whole new level, and is leagues beyond me. Utterly fantastic work.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,854 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005, Location Utah, USA  

Old (#3)
I love the eyes and mouth, but as far as crits, the nose and ears feel off, that jumps out the most to me. The nose needs more definition, same with the area between the two eyebrows. You also might want to revisit the nasolabial fold as well as the creases he has around his mouth, they feel like wrinkles here and not folds based on the face's anatomy if that makes any sense.
Offline , triangle, 374 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011,  

Old (#4)
Merry Christmas to you too Rick.

Really love all the work you put into this man. Such a joy to behold but I do agree with Gestalt. The nose just need a bit more work and also make those forehead creases a bit deeper.

While we are on the subject of the forehead, take a look at this ref image you'll notice his head has more of a dome shape to it. So i suggest raising yours up.
Offline , polygon, 618 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Newcastle, UK  

Old (#5)
Thank you for the comments and critics guys! Appreciate it!

Old (#6)
No Way!!! I thought the top picture was the reference at first. That is insane!! Congrats on this!
Offline , line, 66 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Austin, Texas  

Old (#7)
Damn. pretty good bro !
Offline , polycounter, 1,003 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Gresham, Oregon Send a message via AIM to makecg Send a message via Yahoo to makecg Send a message via Skype™ to makecg  

Old (#8)
while the top picture looks really ace, at this cameraangle and fov, you can alreay see that there are some slighte diferences. However, the far away shot reveals a whole bunch of things that are off. Don't get me wrong. The result is really cool, but without the camera trickerey and nice lighting/shading, it falls apart quite fast. If you want to finish it (as it really deserves, you are up to something very great), i'd say fix the proportional issues, disarrays refence image already shows a lot of those - the details are great, but the overall poportions are pretty off.
bonus vir semper tiro.

Steffen 'Neox' Unger
It's Airborn Baby!

freelance 3d artist
for hire
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,983 Posts, Join Date Sep 2006, Location Berlin Germany Send a message via ICQ to Neox  

Old (#9)
YES!!!!!!!!
Offline , polygon, 582 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Oceana, WV Send a message via Skype™ to dpaynter26  

Old (#10)
No way... amazing
John Valenti
Environment Artist
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,398 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#11)
pretty cool job, one thing i noticed right away was the cheeks and around the mouth lacking a bit of fat and gravity. I think that would add a lot to the character.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,609 Posts, Join Date Feb 2006, Location Irvine CA Send a message via MSN to bugo Send a message via Skype™ to bugo  

Old (#12)
"You're Goddamn right!"
I did a bunch of corrections, adjusted the overall face proportions and completely remade the skin shader.
And now, powered by more beard!
Rendered in Octane.

I hope you like it!

Old (#13)
hey man, that's looking much better. The first shot I didn't think the likeness was quite there, and the angle made it look a bit off.

this one however, i could easily mistake for a still from the show, looks spot on as far as I'm concerned. Is it rendered in zbrush?
Offline , triangle, 458 Posts, Join Date Feb 2009, Location Belfast  

Old (#14)
Thank you mr_ace. Only the last shot is rendered in zBrush, the main images are rendered with Octane.

Old (#15)
Awesome likeness, really jealous of your skills - knew who he was straight away
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,326 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location London, UK  

Old (#16)
I honestly thought the second renders you posted was a screen cap from the show, that is amazing work. It would be cool if you could get a little translucence on his ears, or at least a little more red to them. That is the only thing I really noticed.
"I greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, knowledge, feedback and/or any critique on my work." Thanks!
Portfolio - Associate Environment Artist @ Crystal Dynamics.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,326 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location San Jose  

Old (#17)
Good god, I thought that was a reference pic. EPIC work, dude, holy crap ...
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,536 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010,  

Old (#18)
haha damn that's so good man ^_^

only thing that's bugging me is his left eye, seems a bit large or stretched, more noticeable in the render tho, not as much in the zb pic

Really cool work, I've gotta check out that renderer too ^_^
it's time to ingest sandwiches from my compartment

http://www.nizza3d.com/ <- folio wip...
Offline , polycounter, 815 Posts, Join Date Jul 2008, Location Montreal, Candadadada  

Old (#19)
This is amazing. I'd say it's probably one of the best likenesses i've seen.
Offline , polycounter, 891 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to Skillmister  

Old (#20)
Really impressive work here. I'm surprised this thread isn't like a zillion pages long already XD
Offline , polycounter, 795 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#21)
I'm in love
John Valenti
Environment Artist
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,398 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#22)
The eyes of the first image are unbelievable.
Offline , polygon, 736 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004,  

Old (#23)
/jawdrop
Offline , spline, 137 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012, Location Guildford, UK  

Old (#24)
Looks incredible, I thought it was a screen cap from the show until you showed the model.
Offline , spline, 223 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location TN  

Old (#25)
I saw this in the What Are You Working On? thread, and spend a minute or two trying to figure out why you only posted a picture from the TV show.

Astonishing work.
Offline , vertex, 31 Posts, Join Date Dec 2012, Location Sioux Falls, South Dakota