Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinky polycounter lvl 17
    Love it! Looks great!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I open this thread every time I see it just to look at the clothes and folds. Well done Mr. Ace.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice work so far. all the cloth looks great and the face looks great too.

couple thing, the folds on the lower legs are too soft/big for the type of fabric that these trousers are usually made of. look up more reference on ski trousers(eg. surftex).

examples:
    http://www.surfanic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/W/SW121101-001-401.jpg

http://images.snowbiz.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1314898476-93699500.jpg

also, double check the shape of the boots. left to right is hard to tell right now.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    That cloth work is phenomenal!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great man! I like the changes you've made to the head. Looking forward to seeing the low poly and bakes
  • chaosblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking great! loving every detail.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Hey bud, shes looking great :) have to agree with MM about the cloth, needs to be more like the jacket which is padded and lots of tertiary level folds where the padding bunches up, you could probably get away with the compression folds lower down still but yea, the rest may need stiffening up. Its a pain to get looking right but worth it in the end.

heres a quick suggestion over things you could quickly tweak on the face if you wanted to, all depends on what direction you want to take her

mrace_face_snowboarder.gif

the main thing is the harsh brow transition to the inner eye/inner eyebrow, should be alot smoother and will read alot better from distance, the side of the nose smooths out to the cheeks too much, should be a touch harsher to show bone structure and the corners of the mouth could be pulled back towards the face so you have more form/shape to the mouth so to follow the teeth/gums more.

only suggestions though matey :) Im being nitpicky hehe
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the cool tutorial man! That character looks spot on.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    thats a kickass paintover.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome job - thank you for the overview/tutorial
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude :) I was thinking maybe her boots where kind of small, but then again u can have small feet I guess.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone, it's been a while!

I've had a lot of work on since starting this. I was originally rendering her in cryengine 3, but it was a pain in the ass, and I wasn't happy with the results I was getting, so I put her on the backburner. However, with marmo 2 out now, I've had much more success, so she's pretty much finished at this point, I just need to do some more renders, and render out the final high poly from zbrush etc

I would really appreciate as much feedback good or bad on this girl as possible, I'm probably looking to get a full time studio job now, so I need to get my work looking as good as i humanly can

Also, a friend of mine just told me geox is a real company, making up fake brands is a pain in the ass!

uXGVHmg.jpg

Qb76IkC.jpg

IJhtNss.jpg

Probably going to render out the zbrush shots tomorrow.

thanks guys
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    awesome work, dude!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good, but this smile makes her look kinda creepy... she was cute on you sculpt, but not anymore ^^.

The texture may look a bit clean, like if she just bought her clothes and snowboard and never used them before.

Yeah, Geox is an Italian shoes brand ^^. Well they do clothes too, but mainly shoes. Shouldn't be hard to change that.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the combination of the smile and the wide open eyes kinda gives off this impression:

the-overly-attached-girlfriend-explains-what-its-like-being-a-wildly-popular-internet-meme.jpg

can i suggest adjusting the eyelids a little? just lower the top eyelids very slightly, and raise the corner of one side of her mouth just a little as well. see if that helps.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey she turned out bad-ass, I love seeing this completed. Thanks for showing it off.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    actually i've figured out what's wrong with the smile... the distance between the lips is only enough for her smile to come across as either smug, or sarcastic. it either needs to be broader and bigger distance between the lips, or close the lips entirely.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Love the character :)
    Completly agree with almighty's point tho, it look a bit like a sarcastic/moking smile at the moment. It would be a very quick fix if you are planning on working a bit more on it!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    lol yea, i actually closed her eyes a bit, because before she looked really crazy, but clearly not enough. I might just close her mouth entirely, as it doesn't seem to be working. I really just wanted to show off her teeth. thanks for the feedback guys
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice work man! i personally think the pose/expression works just fine. it looks like a casual happy smile. dont change it.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    thanks a lot MM, that means a lot. ok, I'll do both, then everyones happy! bear with me...
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Dustin, thanks a lot for taking the time to do that. I'm going to re-address a bunch of stuff tomorrow. The nasal labial fold issue was something I was very aware of when making her smile, but I really need a separate normal map for it, so I might make a quick one to sell the smile a bit better. I tried to redden her cheeks and nose a whole bunch of times, you should see the number of layers in my psd called "face redden" but i'm not sure if i was just under-doing it, or if i was losing some of the redness in marmoset. Regardless, I will fix this too

As for the hair, if you think that lacks volume, you should have seen the first version lol. hair is something i still have very little experience with, this is the 3rd complete re-do of the hair, and I definately get better at it with each version, but i still have a lot to learn, both from a visual stand point and a technical one. I really hated how cryengine 3 handled transparency which was one of the reasons I stopped using it.

in the mean-time, I think this is ok for the high poly render:

HKov1Nn.jpg
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Is the clothing pure ZB, or did you start in Clo3D/MarvDesign?
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff. Really nice
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Awesome cloth folds!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Wow nice finish. I remember this from a while back.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, Spoon: yea the clothing is only zbrush. Dustin: Thanks man, there's a tonne of stuff I'd do differently if I had to make her again, but I've learned some important things.

Anyway, I did some experiments with your suggestions, I tried a version with more closed eyes, but she looked really weird, it gave her a sort of confused/suspicious look, and it just wasn't doing it for me, so I kept the eyes the same

8YOEmrZ.gif

there's some interplay with the mouth and eyes and I just wasn't getting the balance right. I also made her a new normal map with some nasal labial creasing which worked ok. Here's the effect:

YJFLN2K.gif

and I used it on all the shots except the close up one (the one where you'd be most likely to notice it...) because despite how many new renders I took from marmoset, I couldn't get one I liked as much as my original, so alas I kept the old one.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    so anyway, apologies for the image dump but here's all my final shots:

xBg7JTg.jpg

xXqPFl5.jpg

jDNi0LG.jpg

JYStrf0.jpg

lePmo4w.jpg

G8aNEG0.jpg

ZplHbh2.jpg

upI6iVj.jpg

a0DSxkZ.jpg

3GXZRWP.jpg

if you want to see higher res versions, go to my website and click the images and they'll load bigger ones. there's also a .gif at the bottom of her rotating

thanks for all the help and feedback during this project!

thanks everyone
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super cool design and color scheme. Reminds me of something in SSX. I used to love playing that game on the PS2. This piece makes me want to check out the Ps3 version and see if it's any good. Great piece overall!
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Looking fantastic, i suggest adding some wet patches here n there, also the inner eye near the bridge of the nose looks a little too dark. Also maybe give her some more makeup too? her face looks a little plain
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hawkes: yea, in retrospect i wish I had of designed her to be a bit cooler and more wacky like the SSX characters, originally she was more of a test character to practice female faces and cloth sculpting. I'm hopefully going to make something more interesting with my next character though!

Pav3d: I was trying to keep her more subdued, more cute without being too sexy, and i felt make up would be too much, it's unlikely you'd hit the slopes with a load of makeup. That said, I think some of her cute-ness was lost between the high poly and the low which is a shame. thanks guys for the feedback