Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snowboarder Girl, next gen character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
Hey, figured I'd make a thread for this character as I've progressed fairly far with her so far.

There's obviously a lot more work to be done, the only bit that's mostly finished is the shoes, for some reason I always tend to do the shoes first...

Let me know what you think, and any suggestions for colour schemes would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently thinking of going for a lime green/pruple combo as shown below...

HSeDh.jpg

3r1Xh.jpg

CURRENT PROGRESS!

a0DSxkZ.jpg

3GXZRWP.jpg

uXGVHmg.jpg

Qb76IkC.jpg

jDNi0LG.jpg

lePmo4w.jpg

upI6iVj.jpg

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know how to better explain this, but something looks off with the crotch area in the front picture.. Almost like its too low. This may just be a mirage of the perspective view you have, and the bulky pants with the coat overhang.

I would almost say push the hue more. The pants with that lime you have on now seems muted and military like. Also unsure if that purple/lime works.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    She kind of has the trucker guys puffy face and eyebrow to nose transition, but that seems to be kind of your style, and it's so good I think it hardly matters.

Just for comparison:
    tdD7Y.jpg

For the rest of her, I think it's pretty awesome. You got some really natural folds in her material, which help define it really well even without the diffuse. You sculpt pretty amazing clothing.

Anyways, look forward to the end product.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey hey Acey!

Nice job on this piece so far. As for suggestion on colour/pattern scheme take a look at these :P

286cdc23-8c5d-4704-a56b-311d593b47e8.jpgl_spyder-children-kids-ski-snowboard-jacket-outerwears003-c8c4.jpg

Th green and white one would really catch peoples eye in a sea of 3D work and could maybe help your portfolio as well. It could be a bit of a challenge to make it look right on a 3D model but i imagine the pay off would be worth it OR you could go down a more sensible route such as the red and white one, but thats a bit too gernetic for me personally.

Anyways I'll be watching this closely pal. Have fun adn Merry Christmas.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I wonder what you mean with the nose transition, ysalex.
    To me that looks totaly different.

Could you explain that further, please?
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I'm talking about the really harsh line that descends from the eyebrow, down underneath the eye. Everyone has one, but they are very very pronounced in Mr. Aces sculpts -- moreso than you usually see in real life.
  • Ravanna
    sculpting on the clothing is absolutely beautiful, most concise I've seen in a long time.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The crotch area isn't the problem, that how pants like these look, the reason it look much odd-er then usual, is because her crotch 'bulge' isn't coming down relaxed to her legs. It's like the crotch has a pinch/bubble effect in one localized area, and doesn't have a falloff towards the legs. Basically come down so relaxed that she has to pull her pants up over so and then not to step on them with her boots.

If you want her pants to be stressed, then have them hug the inner thigh areas much more, basically bulge on crotch > wrinkled and hugging in inner thigh > bulge again on legs and relaxed till bottom.

I agree with the nose, the ridge between the eyebrows coming down to the nose needs to be slightly harsher, you don't need to add a bulge or such, just a tiny bump and some wrinkle detail.

Hair is most likely place-holder, since ZB doesn't play with alpha's for opacity.

Color-Scheme is OK, although I would try and go for a green-scheme if possible, something like this?
    snowboard-girl-405x336-custom.jpg

Her color scheme is just screaming to get lost in the mountains, so you could maybe have a warmer/brighter hue for her clothes?

Personal question: How did you sculpt her folds? I like them, did you use Selwy's brush set or did you do it manually you crazy artist :P
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    dam, those cloth folds are sexy!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice stuff! I feel like her head is too small for realistic proportions. Unless the long body/small head is a stylized look you're going for.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    @ysalex: thanks for the feedback, thats a very interesting propostion, because it's something i've never really thought about. I always tend to think my characters look different enough, but it's definately a very reasonable probability, and perhaps I'm relying on my basemesh too much... I think I should try and go more drasticly different in the future to try and avoid this sort of thing, because I have been looking at your thread and seeing the discussion incolved, and it is something that is quite hard to put your finger on. For example, i felt the same as some people who were saying that some of your character had similar looks, but i couldn't really put in words what was causing it, and that's probably the same issue with my work. It's probably something I need to look into further, and something your learn as you become a more experienced artist, but i'm not there yet.

thanks everyone else for the feedback and kind words.

the hair is most definately place holder, I'll model it proper and do the alpha stuff when i've made more progress.

with the colour scheme and pattern it's very much in the air at the present time, i keep changing it all the time, i think i'll need the uvs laid out and have the texture in photoshop before i have a good idea...

Ace-angel, i actually have that photo in my reference folder ;) i hope to come up with something a bit better. maybe going snowboarding in january will help me decide!

As for help with cloth folds, I'm afraid I have no good tips, just observation. I don't use any brushes for cloth stuff at all, only the standard brush and move. Cloth and material has some distinctive shapes though that come up again and again and that can really help. my advice would just be study some reference and try to copy some, and you'll get the idea of how cloth behaves after a while of doing this!

Any more specific help, please ask, I'd be happy to help, I know how useful it can be when you're just starting out, or trying to master some specific ability, not that i'm any specific expert, but the more info you can get the better i guess...

Fomori, i feel like her heads not too bad sized, when i size it up she's like 7 or so heads tall, which is OK...l maybe it's her hat making her head look smaller than it is, which hopfellu won't look as noticeable when i have her hair in place and the colour scheme in etc...
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Hiya everyone

haven't got too much done on her over christmas, but getting back to it now. Mostly done on the creases, boots done, think i'm done with the hat. I'm on like the 6th iteration of that fucking bandana, so hopefully i won't start hating this one for a while.

Got to do her gloves, and then go on to fixing her head, doing her hair etc

Crits and comments are very welcome, and let me know if anything looks weird or stupid

Thanks!

GwGCs.jpg

Close up of the hat because it took me ages and totally wasn't worth it. I wanted the texture to be in xbrush, rather than doing it after, but that would have definately been the better option because I had to jump through a load of irritating hoops to do this...

M0zEf.jpg

And a closeup of the boots, because they took me quite some time and i think they look quite nice, but are largely covered up by her trousers, so that was a super allocation of time by me

k8pl3.jpg

NdEB3.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Crazy man!! love this!! That hat is insane - how did you end up doing that ?!?!
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    aww man, don't ask lol

i modelled the stitching in max, brought in into zbrush and baked a depth mask, brought it into photoshop and made it tile, then i retopologised the hat with a poly flow that would match the flow of the weave on the hat, unwrapped it via that polyflow but also keeping the uvs straight, then I brought this back into zbrush, divided it up and projected the other hat onto it so it had the exact same shape, then used the surface feature of zbrush with the alpha created previously and the uv button clicked i tiled the alpha then flattened that onto the model, then i projected all that back onto the original hat model because that model had bad poly distribution and triangles because i retopologised it to match the hat weave direction

(deep breath)

I hope that made some semblance of sense lol because it didn't make much sense to me and I did it... The issue wasn't the alpha tiling stuff though, the problem was because the hat was quite an intricate shape and the tiling had to follow that shape, which is why I had to do all the retologising and weird uv layout. If it was on a really basic beanie, or just about any other garment in the entire world it would have been fine!

I'll post up the alpha I made and maybe make a more visual tutorial if that text made no sense

And thanks for the compliments, it means a lot!
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Great job man!
    You don't see many artist nailing the folds correctly on clothing.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Holy shit! my mind exploded at 'I modelled the stitching in max' hah!!

I think I get it man, if you had to do it again, things like projecting it back onto a dogy mesh would be cut out though no ??

Cant argue with the results man it looks hot!
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    dem folds!! great work man. And thanks for sharing your workflow for the stitching.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    Dat (insert word here)!
  • KLehrer
    Really nice work, i like the shoes especially the coat should be red, her face looks cute too.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Insane! the clothes are just beautiful!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    very, very cool work, not oversexed, yet clearly feminine. The clothing is great, very natural and well done - if you would want to push it further i would add a tiny bit of chaos, pre wrinkled surfaces that keep the landmarks of former folding, like in her bag, in a cabinet or something like this. But i like the style as it is right now.

One thing i would reconsider is her bodyheight, how tall is she supposed to be?
    Maybe its the fov, but she seems to be like almost 9 heads tall. with the bodyshapes like this, i would think of her beeing like 1.60m tall, maybe a bit more or less, which would end up around 6-7 headunits give or take.
    I tested it in Photoshop, around 10% upscaling feels more balanced with the body as is.
    If she is supposed to be really tall i'm not sure that the soft and cute facial features are the right choice - but as said i like her as is, the bodysize just doesn't come over right to me.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Just wanted to hop in and say how much i'm loving this! your cloth work is impressive...not to mention dedication xD

I wanna tackle something similar now thanks you sir.

also after reading neox post i think i agree with the proportion issue he brought up
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    The clothing is looking amazing man, you got to show me XD
    I tried to understand your little hat tutorial and I really dont understand how you manage to get that result... But damn its looking sexy.
    Love how realistic the woman look, she doesn't fall into any stereotype and it's awesome.
    Once again, impressive work!
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Ace, I think that she looks really good, especially the hat and the boots.

I was just wondering how you are planning on baking out those stitches on the boots. I think you either need to make them bigger and exaggerate them or give the boots a shit tonne of UV space.
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Beautiful sculpt dude! That hat is intense.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback and kind words. I made a tutorial for how i did the hat texture which should be a lot easier to follow than my wall of text before:

qwhEf.jpg

sorry about my handwriting, I don't know why I didn't just just the text tool...

Neox: Thanks for the feedback. The look I was going for was a short, cute girl, with a fairly average physique, so no it's real bad that it's giving you the impression she's giant! I do agree though, I think I cut down the size of the face when i was working on it without paying enough attention to it's overall size. By my estimations, she's a bit over 7 heads tall

kUVMm.jpg

but that's still too tall, in real world scale, I would want her to be about 5'4" or so, so I'll make some changes to the low poly, scale her head up a bit or make her legs slightly shorter to fix it.

Barnsey: That's a good question lol. the stitches will probably just end up getting lost, but hey, they look nice on the high poly!

Thanks again everyone!
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the breakdown. can really see your work improving.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Can you share the combination of brushes you used to sculpt clothing fold?
    I really like the smooth effect you get in the coat! It really makes it feel thicker and heavier like it should
    Btw thanks for that tutorial, this is insane, and i love it
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    @Tits, nothing fancy I'm afraid, literally just the standard brush. when i get to slightly higher subdivisions, I tend to use a pretty low brush strength like 6 or so, and just brush along where i want the folds, and go over it a few times, smoothing as I go.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Haha then you are a clothing fold god, congratulation :D, thanks again.
  • Aardschok
    Here are some nice brushes to use for folds and such :)

http://www.gogeet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5:zbrush-clothes-tutorial&catid=34:tips&Itemid=55

Sculpt look really good, even without the textures I can tell the different fabrics. Keep it up!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    references for folds like this are fantastic as well, Tits.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    thanks almighty_gir,
    someone actually send it to me on the hangout yersterday, maybe it was you :)?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    could be!

if you're the french fry, then yes!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    French canadian right ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well since when do real french people fry anything? :D
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man. Those folds are killer and your work is very very clean. I was also wondering how are you going to approach the stitching on the boots and on the jeans since I assume you might want it to be different color than the fabric.
    Thanks for the awesome tutorial for the hat too :)
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah awesome clothing sculpting. You nailed it.
    As you say, her face does seem small within her head (maybe cranium too high?) and I think she is too many head heights tall as well. If you're going for a woman's average height you can see a bit clearer with this image.

q3A6q.jpg

Maybe just grow the face within her head and size up her head a bit as well?
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Dat (insert word here)!

..folds maaaaaaan!
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    are the shoes separate sub tools? it looks so neat
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    look at those folds! god-like! the beanie, mind blown! thanks for the tutorial!
  • WhiteNorthStar
    mind-blowing work, especially on the clothing

just to echo some of the other comments, her head does look too small in one of the images
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys, I appreciate the bumps! makes me realise it's about time I posted something...

I've mostly been working on the face lately and adding in all the small elements. I just need to refine a lot of the small bits and then I'm done with the head, then a couple more things to do to the main body and I'm done.

Oh and Manilamerc, yea the boot is a load of seperate subtools, i tried sculpting it using masking etc but it just didn't look as clean

Formori: you made me realise I was definately out with the head size, so thanks for that, I've made it quite significantly bigger in my most recent version.

Anyway, here's an update to the head, I'm pretty happy with how she's looking now, I think she looks cute without looking too sexy, which was what I was going for, I'd really appreciate your feedback!

uUNyqyq.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    I did a different render of the head, I really didn't like the last one, but it's still not great, I need to invest some time in my presentation...

2Risi3F.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Im still trying to wrap my head around how you did the hat. Also nice update on the face. Keep up the awesome work!
  • pixelbully
    This is Fantastic work!
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    That hat is amazing. She's looking great.
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    I really like the Character, and big thanks for the Stitching Worklfow. I'm struggling with that on my current Character.
  • _DMage_
    Super Fantastic model, but i dont think this is next gen :)
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, I think I'm calling the high poly for this finished, now I'm going to do some polypainting then low poly and bake time.

The heads quite a lot bigger than the last full body shot i posted, hopefully it looks correct now, I think she's looking better proportioned.

Please let me know what you think and if there's anything that stands out as looking wrong. Cheers!

9qUUTWT.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I say this snow bunny is good to go!