Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wheel lock Arquebus (ornate 1st person weapon)

Hi all,

New to polycount. This is nearing completion so I'm throwing it out there for some artistic critique, there's a couple of things I'm not 100% happy with, and I've still got to texture the powder flask, spanner and musket ball.

The Arquebus is around 10k triangles atm, this is the high res version. which is the basis for the 3rd person model and 1st person model (unseen faces deleted and UVs optimised for the 1st person model, optimized heavily for the 3rd person model). Eventually I will animated it and make an attempt at getting it into UDK as a usable weapon.

Looking for more artistic critique than technical, but I'm open to both. I'm really interested on what others think, so critique away!

Viewport_Wip03.jpg
Viewport_Wip04.jpg
Viewport_Wip05.jpg
Viewport_Wip06.jpg
Viewport_Wip07.jpg
Viewport_Wip08.jpg

Mood-board showing some of the reference I used
Arque_09.jpg

High poly
Arque_05.jpg
Arque_06.jpg
Arque_07.jpg

Wireframe
Arque_08.jpg

FYI, the renders are done in max, they look the same as the Xoliul's viewport ones but without the horrible aliasing (is there a way to get rid of that?) The final renders will be done in UDK or marmoset.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This is awesome! Love the mix of reddish wood and gold trimming. The metal guard under the stock could do with some more edgewear perhaps?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow, great texture and wear work, plus all the intricate work reads really well.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    did you made your own ornaments for those on the cannon ? Awesome work estetically !
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice. Some feedback on the texture.

If you have an idea how big the weapon will be on screen in game, you can tweak the fine details to show up better (i.e. the metal parts). Maybe increase the contrast in this area or simplify the ornamental work a bit. Another suggestion... try polishing up the metal just a bit and up the spec so it grabs more light. This will help differentiate it from the wood. Either way, I think toning back the grime on the metal would help.
  • Mist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the critique.

djoexe: Thanks, I hand painted all the ornamentation on the barrel, based of the many references that I found.

Kon Artist: I agree, I think upping the spec will help. Once it's in UDK it should have a cube map, and I'll have a much better idea on how the spec will react. Having not looked at it for a while and going back to it, I think toning back some of the dirt on the barrel will help too. At the moment the spec on the wood is fairly high, so I might tone that down a bit.

I'll post some ideas for the first person and iron sight viewpoints soon.

This should give you a rough idea of what the animation will look like. http://youtu.be/l_shK4N-5N8

Thanks
  • Mist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it has been a long time. I've been pretty busy since xmas. I've mad a stab at sculpting the details in the powder flask.

flask2.jpg
  • Mist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the powder flask for now, I might adjust the spec a bit more once it's in game.

next step is getting it all into UDK as a working weapon
    flask.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I was google searching for Arquebuses earlier and your images came up. Really nice work. :)
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The amount of detail on the gun, and THAT powder flask is amazing. Very inspiring work, please post some material breakdowns or something. :D