Home General Discussion

Dark Souls 2

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Habboi sublime tool
darksoulslogo2.jpg

iQOXI3UiVxM4U.gif

So it's up to me to make a thread again eh :)

Information: http://kotaku.com/5966805/dark-souls-ii-introduces-a-new-hero-a-new-world-new-multiplayer-and-a-new-game-director

http://www.edge-online.com/news/introducing-edge-249-dark-souls-ii-unveiled/

Trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-dcwB3qTMA"]Dark Souls II - PS3 / X360 / PC - Of Masks and Dragons - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJqRpvebCY"]Dark Souls II - PS3/X360 - Cursed (Trailer) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOg7_jFPNNM"]Dark Souls II - PS3/X360/PC - Despair - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecITYi40tA"]Dark Souls II - PS3/X360/PC - Go Beyond Death (E3 2013 trailer) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-o2KMm-5tQ"]Dark souls II - PS3/X360/PC - Aching Bones (Trailer Tokyo Game Show 2013) - YouTube[/ame]

dark-souls-ii-playstation-3-ps3-1365597992-029.jpg

dark-souls-ii-playstation-3-ps3-1365597992-030.jpg

dark-souls-ii-playstation-3-ps3-1365597992-032.jpg

dark-souls-ii-playstation-3-ps3-1365597992-034.jpg

dark-souls-ii-playstation-3-ps3-1365597992-035.jpg

"According to the game's publisher, the new game "will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for."
"Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others."
“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls.

Sounds interesting. The whole multiplayer aspect makes me think they're going to allow people to bring up a player list of who they can join. Sometimes I felt the need for a server list but then it kinda breaks away the whole feeling of isolation that the previous games created.

I like change. I just hope they understand what made Demon's / Dark Souls great in the first place.

Overall it's a nice surprise. I've been playing Dark Souls again for months doing hardcore invading. Made a small name of myself on the PS3 version :)

Umbasa.

Original Dark Souls Thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80791

Replies

• rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing sequel ahead?
    Be wary of changes.
    Try hoping for the best.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Who made the trailer for this? It's gorgeous.

I low their armors and how they're low fantasy and not so ridiculous as many other fantasy games.

Anyway, here's hoping that the new director can keep the legacy strong. Can't wait.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i hope this is not narrative/story driven... part of why i love this game is just me figuring out what is going on, and exploring and confronting in a non linear manner wherever i want to go.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Played the first game and got to NG++, feckin amazing! Looking forward to this :D
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    As a biggg fan of demon souls and dark souls i can't help but just falling in love at first sight. Really that cinematic is made gorgeous. it looks so well put together. Wonder if any of those guys are on pc as well.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I love love loved the last one. Probably in the top 3 games on this generation of console for me. Cannot wait for the next one.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    "A distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others"

Takes me forever to get paired with friends than it did in Demons souls. Yet i can get invaded like its nothing. Here's hoping it takes twice as long for summoning signs to pop up :)

I hope they give it tat lonely, cold, dead land kinda feel like Demons souls had With amazing weapons as the last game had. I'm sold anyway
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    That large dead dragon inside of a giant cave makes me wonder if the hero travels to Boletaria, linking Demons Souls and Dark Souls? I feel like a 10 year old kid being excited for this game!
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    My body is ready. Can't wait to see some gameplay footage.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this isn't sounding so great any more

http://www.edge-online.com/news/introducing-edge-249-dark-souls-ii-unveiled/

"Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task."
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/08/dark-souls-2-and-the-fine-line-between-challenge-and-accessibility/

Just read that. It makes me worried, to be honest. More direct than subtle is the worst possibly news.
    I won't judge the game yet, since we know NOTHING about it, but it just makes me really worried. So many of my absolutely favorite series have gotten terrible sequels in the last few years.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Excited but a bit worried given the last two posts. I still need to grow some balls and actually go back and finish dark souls though.

Don't From Software do their own cinematcis? The one for Armoured Core V was also awesome.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hm...I hope they don't make it too approachable.. It seems most games hold your hands these days and are afraid to give you a real challenge. That's what Makes the Souls games, and games like La Mulana so amazing. I hope faith, and am still very excited though...but i loved being dropped into firelink shrine and having all these options to explore, not knowing that most of your options lead you to your doom.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    tottot wrote: »
    We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task."

Just a quick note. This quote was from the author of the article, not Shibuya. From what I understood about that is they were talking about the story being more straight forward. As in, most of DS lore is found from item descriptions and the like, which while really awesome for the community to theory craft, can somewhat leave you hanging at times.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    ohhh... just thinking of the name brings back hours or frustrated anguish... especially since I never completed dark souls..
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    If you have it on PS3 I could run you through it in...3 hours. My fastest speedrun from start to getting the warp in Anor Londo is 1 hour 20 mins :)

But you should try it again, it's real easy once you've got a character levelled up nicely and the bosses are all fun to fight plus there's lots of hidden places to discover.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Just a quick note. This quote was from the author of the article, not Shibuya. From what I understood about that is they were talking about the story being more straight forward. As in, most of DS lore is found from item descriptions and the like, which while really awesome for the community to theory craft, can somewhat leave you hanging at times.

I think that mystery is one of the greatest parts of the series. The difficulty is just one part of what makes these games.
    If they're going to dumb it down and spoonfeed the story just to attract more people then I believe the game will lose something precious.

That guy was talking about the game attaining as large a presence as Elder Scrolls. I'd be totally fine with that, but that's not something I'd see as a goal in itself, especially not at the expense of the immersive and mysterious nature of the games.

Sadly, I know it's more about making the most amount of money and catering to a bigger crowd, so probably that will happen.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    As much as I like Dark Souls, I honestly doubt it could stand on its own without such little gimmicks as forcing people to piece together and speculate the story. The story in itself isn't great, but having to work for it does make it stick for a long time.
    I fear FromSoftware is doing a Diablo 3 right now. "People love our shit so we can do whatever we want to it and it'll still sell."
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are scans from the Dark Souls 2 Edge article: http://puflwiz.tumblr.com/post/38040578055/rest-on-the-source-link

Warning, it's not a great read...reading that Namco asked Miyasaki to step down so the series could continue sounds fishy and worrysome.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    don´t realy understand the problem here.
    i didn´t actually give a shit about the story of darksouls, and after having a hard time with it on the xbox i replayed it on pc with the wiki constantly open, so i could understand all the game mechanics that are nowhere explained in the game.
    this made the whole game way more enjoyable to me, since i somehow had an idea of what i was doing, not aimlessly wandering through the world.
    just look at the mess that covenants are....

so i think more accecability is a good thing.
    and a story that motivates you to push through the horrors is not that much of a bad thing i figure.
    i´ve seen quite a couple of friends give in, cause there was simply nothing motivating to keep them playing.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I feel the same way. I think when it comes to accessibility, it should mean the mechanics of the game (covenants, invasions, etc) could be better explained. When it comes to the difficulty, I want that to stay the same however. As for story, I wouldn't mind it following a more cohesive plot as long as it's something where you are playing an undead of your creation and not a specific character.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I also wouldn't mind a bit better forward kick in the right direction at the start of the open world part, but I still want the game to be completely open in options so there's a variety of ways veterans can plan routes.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything just sounds like they're trying to create a game for the mass appeal and that was never the path the other Souls games when under Miyasakis direction. Reading that they've ditched the more impressionistic feel of the last games really saddened me. It all just sounds like its becoming a generic game that will also be hard, which isn't a Souls game.

Again, really too early to tell, but this is one thing ill let myself geek out for a bit.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will die of incredible sadness if they put way-point markers.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    aren't those just...bonfires?
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason I interpret "way-point markers" as sign posts telling you which way to go rather than checkpoints/save points.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Oh, ok. You mean something like the Skyrim quest arrow or something?
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they're basically dumbing down the entire thing. So you'll know where you're supposed to go, you'll know what it is you're supposed to be doing and so on. Which is fine and dandy, but I hope they don't expect to deliver a mind-blowing game. The first Dark Souls wouldn't be even remotely as memorable without some ambiguity thrown in the mix...
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that Dark Souls had a very clear direction in regards of where to go next. The open world was so well designed that it led you forward without you even realizing, I didn't think it needed improvement. You felt like a lost hero and exploring actually felt like exploring.

Even Demons Souls less subtle direction was fun, you could unveil the game in any order you wanted.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Hellmouth wrote: »
    I think they're basically dumbing down the entire thing. So you'll know where you're supposed to go, you'll know what it is you're supposed to be doing and so on. Which is fine and dandy, but I hope they don't expect to deliver a mind-blowing game. The first Dark Souls wouldn't be even remotely as memorable without some ambiguity thrown in the mix...

i am confused, you seem to be acting as if from software has no idea of gamedesign and has no clue why dark souls and demon souls sold so well.

trust them, they know what they do and they are aware of the weaknesses and strenghts of their games.
  • Joshua.mace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be so disappointed if the story is spoon fed! I know a lot if people bitch about not knowing how to play or what to do but to be honest that was my favourite part of the game! I wish I could live through the frustration again!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/juh7kn/gt-countdown-top-10-dark-trolls

It seems new footage is going to be revealed on Thursday so GT is doing some videos about Dark Souls.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2013/04/dark-souls-ii-update-teased-for-april-11
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo psyched for this! Dark Souls genuinely restored my faith in videogames.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DFM wrote: »
    Soooo psyched for this! Dark Souls genuinely restored my faith in videogames.

Ironically I'm afraid it's sequel will crush my faith in games .
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm going to be that guy.

I hated Dark Souls. It was clunky, hard to control, and I couldn't get into it. I didn't find the world that interesting, and the art seemed pretty badly executed in a lot of places. I didn't make it past the first hour.

But if the sequel looks and plays anything like that cinematic (probably not), I'm interested.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    ^ I played Demons souls first so I was that guy all while playing Dark souls

Didn't feel all to great, it didn't set a nice dark medieval fantasy theme like the first
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think the sequel will look like that. That's not the kind of game FROM makes.

They make games with fairly old-looking engines for niche markets and just pump them out with little changes from year to year. Their cinematics are always top-notch (look at Armored Core V) and they talk big about reinventing, but it's always incremental.

Which suits me fine because I would fuck the souls games if I could find a hole without teeth.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Haters gonna hate; Dark Souls is awesome. You need real skill to pull off the combat, it's one of the best games I've played in years.

Can't wait for DS2! Hopefully they don't make it more simple.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Makkon wrote: »

I hated Dark Souls. It was clunky, hard to control, and I couldn't get into it. I didn't find the world that interesting, and the art seemed pretty badly executed in a lot of places. I didn't make it past the first hour.

git gud casul :poly142:

On a serious note, I totally understand why you would hate it at first. DaS requires a fair bit of time getting used to. It didn't really click with me until I was past 5 hours mark. If you're willing to do that, then it is a really rewarding experience. It punishes when you screw up, but also rewards with great satisfaction you when you succeed.

Ultimately, the combat is not really that difficult (apart from some bosses). But it does require a very different playing style. It's all about moving slowly and anticipating what happens next. And this is where the game shines, because there is always something there that will fuck you up, but it's never where you expect it to be. It's more about the atmosphere than the difficulty; the danger is there mainly to reinforce the mood (which is why I found Demon's Souls to feel totally different; it is driven by systems and gameplay to a much larger extent than DaS).

PVP is when it will drive you mad though and people will cheese you in thousands of ways. :poly142: But damn, it's fun as hell.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Dark souls isn't a hard game. There's no way to fail at Dark Souls. If you can't kill a boss or get stuck all you have to do is grind it out and you'll eventually overlevel the content. My brother finished the first playthrough at level 110+ while I finished mine at approx 60-70. We probably had the same amount of fun, he likes grinding and hack 'n' slashing while I like dodging attacks are doing gosu shit( FAIR ).

What From Software managed to do was to hype the game as really fucking hard. Which made all the elitists think they were awesome who were able to finish the game while the "casuals" who picked it up felt like they were amazingly skilled.

And because the game was "so hard" you don't care if it's cheap to hit a boss 100 times with a arrow which does virtually no damage while it can't attack you back, because you do what you have to do to survive.

This is what I think made Dark Souls really nice. The feeling that I didn't have to play fair, I'll come up with the cheesiest stuff ever aslong as I don't loose my souls!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Dark souls isn't a hard game.

Yes it is.

Do you know how many times I had to replay Ornstein and Smough? I actually lost count, I was frothing at the mouth after playing it for the 50th time!

I think what is most charming about DS is the sense of mastery you gain if you're willing to stick it out long enough and get past the initial frustration of dying constantly, learning to time your attacks as well as dodges/blocks. The visuals are also great as well as the level design, there's a lot people miss out on when they start in Undead Asylum, play for 10 minutes and just give up :D
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Makkon wrote: »

But if the sequel looks and plays anything like that cinematic (probably not), I'm interested.
    I loved the controls in Dark Souls! It beautifully implemented a more realistic armor system where weight affects maneuverability so if you were wearing tons of stuff you'd move and recover slower from hits and dodges.

Another thing I really liked is that it doesn't have invulnerable dodging so deciding whether to roll left or right depending on your enemies attack is important because if you roll into a swing you'll still get hit... Dodging left against Orenstein's charge for example almost garanteed you would get impaled

If you felt the controls were clunky you might try playing a class that starts with light armor see if it feels any better

Also dont play it on a keyboard :(
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I love dark souls, and will definitely get the sequel. I acutally hoping that it will get pushed to ps4 instead of sticking to ps3.

My biggest gripe about dark souls was that it was imbalanced in terms of weapons and spells when it comes to pvp. Hardest boss for me was bed of chaos, getting swiped by the long reaching hand and falling to your death is not funny, cuz it takes such a long time to get back to the boss.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Dark Souls is a hard game due to the nature of how people will tackle it. I mean truth be told, you watch a couple of YT video, you pretty much (ruin) know how the game will play out.

You could play it safe, take baby steps and always swing around to view everything at all times to make sure nothing will get you.
    You could also not rush Boss battles and take your time in trying to learn their attack patterns.
    Wearing heavier armor means better protection, but you lose out on agility.
    Sometimes the 'better' weapons you get later on are actually worse since the 'weight' of the weapon affects your performance more then how much damage it does, etc.

And yes, there were instances of where the game was cheap, getting shot in the back with arrows while a black knight is charging your on a small bridge full of swinging axes doesn't make it for happy fun times.

Also, fuck those weird skeleton demon thingies that make you lose everything your worked for so hard.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't have the time.

- play for 15 minutes
    - get killed
    - game laughs and says, "start over and do the exact same thing all over again"
    - put game on shelf and get on with my life
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I don't think in that case there is much the Dev's can do other then include an easy mode in the game (kinda like what ME and DE:HR did), but as you know, many 'hardcore elitist' pretty much argued that would dilute the experience...somehow.

There is a large difference between a game being unfair vs. life taking precedence for a person and getting older kinda shows the benefits of the latter.

I wish all games would come with "Dad Mode" in them, ability to pause, savvy checkpoints, etc. That would be bloody amazing, I like pausing my games, why can't I pause all of my games? Even DOTA2 allows me to pause my game!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, yeah, I'm not arguing that the game design needs to change. It's targeted at people who want that kind of experience. I'm just expressing that I'm not one of them - and that's OK. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Or in another situation:

- play for 15 minutes
    - get killed
    - game laughs and says, "start over and do the exact same thing all over again"
    - Picks up Baseball bat
    - Smashes in Xbox
    - Sits in the corner and cries like a girl
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    As someone who has bought the game thrice and invested at least 500 hours in it across platforms with DLC I'd like to say:
    I started EXACTLY as you Makkon, I played it, hated it, put it on the shelf for about 5 months because the controls were clunky and weird to me, the art didn't seem fantastic and it punished me more than I was used too.

Then my friend said he'd play it alongside me on a new character and teach me the ropes of the game through skype chat or planned coop.
    The game took a different turn then; Suddenly I heard these stories of creatures and bosses hidden around in the world that I would have to face, not always with help, all the things that awaited me in regards to weapons, all the secrets and things I would have to play through again to see. And it slowly hooked me, I eventually got used to the controls and the game seemed simple but tough in it's gameplay: Judge the situation, approach it carefully, use the skills you have to counter what is attacking you (dodge, block) and look for an opening to press the attack.

I'd suggest starting with a dexterity build for the first playthrough (the theif class for instance starts with excellent gear), possibly with a spear, loads of vitality and endurance. The game should be a bit easier then and you'll learn how to parry, riposte and backstab which is the easiest way to take out some enemies and with the spear you can attack while keeping yourself protected.

After all that you start notice how the world is made, you may start asking what happened here. There is a surprising amount of depth in Dark Souls in regards to the worlds history, which the player has to discover on their own. From the infinite ash-lake that holds up the world to the crystallized tower of the duke, there is reason and story placed into every corner of the game, most is found through item descriptions and talking to NPCs.

As for the art, the first area is very drab and uninteresting but it changes a lot as the game goes on, the armor and weapon designs are among the best I've ever seen in a game and the way animation is tied to your equipment weight makes it feel more tangible.

This is NOT like Zelda, God of War, DMC, Soul Reaver or Darksiders in controls or combat, everything collides and hits where the bladed or blunted part of the weapon actually hits, it's a bit more complex and as such feels much more rewarding when you defeat some 12 feet monster.

TL;DR: Give the game another chance, preferably have someone who has played it guide you a bit into it. Everyone I know who hated it at first came to love it as they got deeper into the game and also know that they probably missed out a bit by not playing alone. (until you meet these guys, then everything I say about playing alone is moot.)

I have many things I want from DS 2 but I'll wait and see what they offer anyway. I just hope they haven't changed the formula too much in regards to the player playing as a created character.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What makes the Souls games so good is how analog it is. It is literally just you and the controller. No obnoxious awful quick time events, no stupid cut scenes that take away from the experience, no boring boss fights, no obnoxious story with stupid voice actors. This is my biggest gripe with this generation of games. Everything is so...dull and lifeless. Oh wow, there is this super ridiculous set piece moment that cost half a million dollars to produce..but i am just watching it and I press the X button and I passed it...how exciting.

But with Dark souls you ARE in these bad ass moments controlling every movement and tumble. It's exciting. This is why I think the Souls games are one of the most important games this generation. It's taking gaming back to its roots, and away from the shittiness of games these days.