Home Technical Talk

Is anyone working on a commercial indy title with Cryengine 3, and if so why?

I ask why not because the engine isn't spectacular. I ask why because after a full year of being released, Crytek apparently has refused to provide a public explanation behind the indie license. There are literally dozens of teams that are complaining about not receiving responses from the licensing submission form, and there are no clear policies about what the process is and what the options are.

The attitude, whether intentional or not, smacks of indifference and arrogance on the part of the company. I have read of a few teams that claim they have received NDAs and clear guidelines, but the problem is that none of it is public.

So question to people in the know, if there are any here. What is going on with this company and their indie dev strategy? Why do they continue to claim the licensing terms for indies are being finalized and will be released when complete? This just doesn't pass the smell test after a full year.

And why would anyone put their hard work into learning the engine, buying training videos and books, and investing thousands of hours into building an indie title, only to find out that there's no response at the other end of the line when you go to acquire permission to release it?

Replies

• XionXinX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this all seems odd to me as well. I suppose we will have to wait, I don't know how easily someone can transfer their scripts, code, models, and stuff to another engine without breaking their work. But if something does happen...surely Crytek will have a bit of a mess on their end.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i downloaded the free sdk a month ago and brushed a bit through the editor and documentation and also came to the conclusion that the licensing is too "nebulous" to consider and decided to stick with udk/unity/flash for any future projects.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    It took me reading though the whole post before I realized this post had nothing to do with Indiana Jones lol :) Feeling slow today.

Sounds shady what you speak of.
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby, that's where I'm headed too, and fast.

XionXinX, the problem is that there are a few teams out there that after a full year have already completed their title and want to publish it, only to be ignored by Crytek.

It's truly bizarre. It doesn't help that the indie gaming press and blog scene isn't holding them accountable. I see interviews with their public facing employees, and posts about their indie license, but not a single soul has dared to challenge them on this very vague policy.

I would argue that the lack of seriousness surrounding their SDK, and by seriousness, I mean actual small studios working on titles, is directly a result of this vapor license.

That's really a shame in the end. As of this date, there has to my knowledge not been a single indie dev release using Cryengine 3, and few people are calling them out on this.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    It is because they only want quality games using their engine. Projects that stand a chance to get a license will have to contact them directly to get the ball rolling. I have a friend who is working on a Ce3 licensed game and he did it this way (contacting + having the proper skilled project to show).
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like a closed gate system which only causes more issues than it prevents, who's to say there won't be a conflict of interest with the game being developed, just look at Google maps in the iPhone app store...oh that's right it isn't there.
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is because they only want quality games using their engine. Projects that stand a chance to get a license will have to contact them directly to get the ball rolling. I have a friend who is working on a Ce3 licensed game and he did it this way (contacting + having the proper skilled project to show).

First of all, is your friend working with an indie license of their engine, or a regular commercial license? This is a big point of clarification.

If the former, then with respect, your explanation doesn't hold. Consider this, if it is true that they only want qualified teams working on *indie* games, then why don't they issue a statement to the community that says exactly that? They have not, and therefore they allow many teams that are earnestly working on titles, and quite legitimately talented, to waste thousand of hours and much of their small supply of funds, only to have no chance of profiting from their work using the Cryengine 3 SDK.

So again, with respect, but your explanation simply doesn't hold. The chief complaint being leveled against the company is their PR and communications as it relates to the indie license. They are releasing this technology with vague and arguably misleading statements about indie commercial licenses. They themselves profit from the publicity, but at the expense of individuals and tiny studio companies.

It's simply wrong.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    kodde wrote: »
    It took me reading though the whole post before I realized this post had nothing to do with Indiana Jones lol :) Feeling slow today.

Sounds shady what you speak of.

LOL!! Awesome, dude. Great minds think alike LOL!
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    @ lampshade, I totally agree with your opinion on Crytek's PR and communications but I have learned to accept that from them. My friend is using "some kind of Indie license" which I do not have the details off but I do know that he isn't paying a dime for the license itself (I think a normal commercial license runs in the millions). Afaik they have a similar revenue percentage contract.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lampshade wrote: »
    XionXinX, the problem is that there are a few teams out there that after a full year have already completed their title and want to publish it, only to be ignored by Crytek.

Can you name any projects? (I'd be interested personally)
    • If you want to use it to make a game to launch commercially, we'd like to help you with that. If you want to take your product down a traditional commercial route, we will offer an innovative low cost licensing model if you want to release your game digitally.
    • If you're looking to use CryENGINE for non-gaming purposes, we'll have a per-seat business model for the engine - please inquire at mycryengine.com for further details.

Usually if you have a game at a point, where its showable or you have a proven track record you should have no problem getting in touch. I don't know how exactly the evaluation system works (as I'm not in licensing), but I'd consider it to be similar to job applications, where you have to filter through thousands of non-sense messages to find a gem. Maybe you can show your project here and get some attention to it?
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak, take a look at threads on crydev for plenty of examples.

secondly, they don't provide a way to demonstrate what you're working on. I think many have concluded that Crytek has shammed the industry. It's rather embarrassing for the gaming media to not have called them on it by now.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12

secondly, they don't provide a way to demonstrate what you're working on. I think many have concluded that Crytek has shammed the industry. It's rather embarrassing for the gaming media to not have called them on it by now.

Lets not descend into conspiracy theories. The fact is that crydev is not MyCryENGINE.com

Make a game that doesnt suck with cryengine or avoid it all together and use udk. Its your choice.
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi wrote: »
    Lets not descend into conspiracy theories. The fact is that crydev is MyCryENGINE.com

Make a game that doesnt suck with cryengine or avoid it all together and use udk. Its your choice.

There's no conspiracy. It's a single company and a negligent media. Both act on their own. Nobody suggested otherwise. To point out the media's failure is not to point to conspiracy, but rather to laziness.

Make a game that doesn't suck? With respect, that's no way to run a business. Making a game that doesn't suck costs time and money, even for indies. To do so with an engine that has absolutely no evidence of ever being allowed for commercial use would be foolish to say the last.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    UNITY!

End of discussion.

lol.
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    I think that it is more a business consideration.

Do you want to have a pro or casual engine, a commercial or indie engine ? CE is a very good engine, the only available engine which is on the level of UDK.

But the problem is, that it is still a young engine compared to other engines, and they need to place their engine as pro-engine. Giving away indie licenses too early could result in a casual/indie engine image which would be the death of it (you can't make enough money with it to keep up, compare it to torque engine).

UDK has kind of a monopoly, is very matured and has an excellent list of reference game. Nobody would doubt, that UDK is not absolutly pro, moving their engine into the indie space is not because of being nice, it is to thrust the other engines out of the market. This was most likely the reason, that CE3 has more or less released an indie license, because they were forced to do so. The market is getting thinner, many larger publishers uses other excellent engine for inhouse projects (id tech, frostbite) and making money with indie projects is hard.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11

Except that e-freak is from Crytek. So he probably knows about the stuff you're talking about. Seems unlikely that there would be some back-dealings here.

That they've "shammed" the industry is entirely subjective. You're getting a free version of their engine. And they made it clear that if you demonstrate your project, they'll work with you to get you a license.

I don't believe it's in their interest to NOT make money.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=72255
    [...]said Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE.

“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.”

I don't know if that's the most up-to-date information, but it should give you a good idea.

Apart from that: Make a good portfolio for your game and send an e-Mail to Crytek. As an example look at Chris Roberts newest game which just got Crowdfunded and is working on CryEngine :)
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn, they don't make that clear at all. They only provide a very ambiguous statement, which has been quoted here numerous times. It can be interpreted in half a dozen ways.

There is no way that I'm aware of that you can show your in progress game to Crytek. They don't seem to be responding to anyone's communication. Not even a rejection letter. It's the height of unprofessionalism.

Chris Roberts? He is a legend in gaming, that's not a useful comparison.

I'm not sure that Crytek has to worry about their engine being perceived as amateurish. Clearly their 1st party titles remove that possibility. They probably should worry instead about their global business reputation.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Bigjohn, they don't make that clear at all. They only provide a very ambiguous statement, which has been quoted here numerous times. It can be interpreted in half a dozen ways.

There is no way that I'm aware of that you can show your in progress game to Crytek. They don't seem to be responding to anyone's communication. Not even a rejection letter. It's the height of unprofessionalism.

Chris Roberts? He is a legend in gaming, that's not a useful comparison.

I'm not sure that Crytek has to worry about their engine being perceived as amateurish. Clearly their 1st party titles remove that possibility. They probably should worry instead about their global business reputation.

chill out dude.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    well, prior to Greenlight it was really hard to get a reply from Valve as well, the usual advice for indies trying to get on steam was to generate some buzz over your product and contact Valve again. Do the same with Crytek, make a trailer put out screenshots, make the gaming website rounds.
  • deeWevoLi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beautiful thing about making a game is aside from the terrain & particles, its really not complicated to swap all your models that are in maya / max to another engine.

Code is a different story. Although cryengine 3 uses c++ which the next unreal engine 4 also uses. I would hope you can still somewhat transfer that code if UE4 ever comes in UDK form.

I agree with the discouragement of using the engine for a long time just to realize you can't get a license, but honestly if you have a good enough team or showcase and would actually benefit from having a license, then you would probably be given one if you contacted them and showed them enough quality art / ui / package.

I'm really mad just because I can't use kickstarter until I show them my project and hope to get a private license. I didn't want to release any concepts / material before I was ready to unveil it all at once.
  • lampshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deeWevoLi, the problem is that it's not that simple. Nobody is going to poor money and time into a game on the hopes that it might catch the eye of a company that never answers or announces updates to its licensing.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    deeWevoLi, the problem is that it's not that simple. Nobody is going to poor money and time into a game on the hopes that it might catch the eye of a company that never answers or announces updates to its licensing.

Its going to be very useful to you to use cryengine for some time to get familiar with it and what its capable of and then keep that newfound knowledge in your brain for reference at a later time. In this time you should be at least able to complete a "level". And this is all you need to sell a game, really. One good level. Remember Counterstrike for example boils down to Dust.

I hope we can agree on this :)
  • munaem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have recently contacted them, CryTek i would say. And they have replied to me with an answer with hope. I literally went sick at them. I mean when they have such a good product where it can actually help people to make some cool game and revenue to help them out, why not release it for indies. Btw, i contacted them because they were not replying to us Indies and they did to me, thank god. I no they are full of ego arrogance and pride thing.

Reply: They replied me saying they are working on some kind of a licence
    "In case you are interested in commercial usage, we will also be launching licensing options for Free CryENGINE SDK game projects very soon, which will be based on a 20% royalty for Crytek. If you use the Free SDK and are enquiring after our cost-free, royalty-only license to commercialize an entertainment game built with CryENGINE, we will soon activate this model, please bear with us while we prepare for this - information will be published on www.crydev.net and www.mycryengine.com."

When they said "we will soon activate this model" I think it is a good news

You agree or i am wrong tell me please
  • Firos12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds to me like they are finally going to do it here soon. Hopefully it's as attractive as other engines that already support Indie development.
  • Firos12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the problem is, that it is still a young engine compared to other engines, and they need to place their engine as pro-engine. Giving away indie licenses too early could result in a casual/indie engine image which would be the death of it (you can't make enough money with it to keep up, compare it to torque engine).

CryEngine3 is actually more advanced than the UDK while being younger. Unreal Engine 4 will have the same tech that Crytek had when they released Crysis 2 a couple of years ago. It really depends on your preference and how many features you are looking for. Unreal Engine 3 is very dated and it shows in every game that is released with it's tech. Personally I would pick Unity over some of the engines that are out there because is is shipped with it's own Scripting Editor which makes things easier. The only problem with Unity is the limitation features if you are using the free version. But if I was to pick an engine to work with it would probably be the UDK and Unreal Engine 3, not just because of the features, but the fact that Epic Games is veteran company in business. Crytek is supported by a certain failing EA Games.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Crytek is supported by a certain failing EA Games.
    Crytek might be sidelined by EA very soon:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/24/ea-partners-facing-closure.aspx
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Soon in Crytek ? That's gotta be next year or so.
    Crytek is supported by a certain failing EA Games.
    Crytek is Indie. Yeah, a Company that owns several studios it's own R&D department can still be indie.
    EA have NOTHING to do with Crytek. They were only in arrgment by EA PArtners Program for Crysis series.
    DICE is making technology that is/will be used by most internal EA developers.
    After Tencent aquiring 49% of Epic Games I would not call Epic indie so much like before Tencent.
    CryEngine3 is actually more advanced than the UDK while being younger.
    It really depends on what are you looking at.
    There are some very impressive parts in CryEngine, and some that are Far Cry (pun intended) from being advanced and date back to CryEngine1...
    Material Editor and shader system are utterly outdated. You are stuck with Crytek way. Forgot to create custom shaders or at least customize the provided ones.
    Yes the provided shaders are cool and nice. But if you need very specific functionality build on top of them. Well though luck... You can forgot about things like one texture enviroment. Not gonna happen in CryEngine3.
    Terrain is another. It haven't seen any imrpvoemnts since CryEngine1 (!!).

Still, very fast iteration times makes CryEngine3 to be very desirable if you can get around some limitations.

Not to mention that you can integrate some third party tech into CryEngine 3 without code access (it's very hacked but hey you can!), like Shourd Cloth Sim (it's on Crydev).
  • Firos12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I read that story, it sucks it really does and I think EA failing is the cause of the slow pace in Crytek getting the Indie Model available to the public.
  • Firos12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Iniside

I agree with that, with next gen coming out UE4 is sure to dominate professional markets and indie markets alike. I am one of the many Indie's anticipating the release of UDK4, I keep watching the feature walk-through each time I load my web browser up :P
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    As I mentioned. Failing of EA Partners and EA have no affect on Crytek. EA was only publisher for Crysis. Crytek is 100% independandt studio of EA or any other major publisher.

It would like claming that Epic is doomed because Microfost closing Microsoft Game Studios after publishing Gears Of War.
  • Firos12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, I agree.
  • c6burns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I felt the need to register and respond to this thread.

Our team of 4 people was working on a game in CryENGINE3 FreeSDK for a few months ... my advice to indies considering Crytek would be not to bother unless you plan to use the SDK as a quick proof of concept only. After a significant amount of time invested in using their technology, we were unable to receive a response to simple licensing inquiries. Sure, we registered and signed the NDA and got a boiler plate response about how the indie licensing would be released "soon", but that's all that ever came of it. To be clear, we are not some roughshod group of basement dwellers ... we have a company and a product and funding to afford middleware and deliver said product to a commercial market. And yet we were unable to secure any type of license, or even a response about possible options from Crytek. Hmmmmm.

It definitely rubs me the wrong way that almost all I see when researching Crytek's indie licensing is positive press straight from the PR factory. It's hard not to feel like the entire indie license was a way to make waves in the media and everyone ate it up. Then again, I probably sound jaded because I definitely had a poor experience.

FYI we tried out Unity for a bit and then ended up using Ogre and assembling our own subsystems for sound/physics/etc. Good luck to all the indies out there ... and beware of investing significant time in CryENGINE without securing license arrangements first

:)