Evil Winston Churchill Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9

Current Progress

michaelbarneswinstonchu.png

Hey Polycount,

It has been a while since I last posted on here :O

This is my Evil Winston Churchill Showdown entry that I started a few of weeks ago but I have been really busy so I haven't been able to spend half as much time on it as I would have liked to. The deadline for the contest is a couple of weeks and I don't think that I will be able to finish him in time, to the quality that I am aiming for, so I am thinking about abandoning the contest and working on him at my own pace.

Winston1.jpg

winston2.jpg

winston3.jpg

Replies

• barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to spend another couple of hours on this today trying to make more sense of the folds. I am going to spend more time on this tomorrow so I will hopefully get the high poly practically finished.

WC3.png

WC4.png

WC1.png

WC2.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have sorted out the image sizes now. If anyone has any thoughts on his anatomy and over sized beer belly, I would love to hear them :) I really want to get this character right off the bat and not have errors in the early stages catch up with me later and kick my ass when I am texturing.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Nice detail in the shoes :)

The hands look huge, unless that is the look you are going for. In proportion to his size, his ankles look a bit thin and maybe his legs are a bit too long so it looks as if he wouldn't be supported by them. I would think he would have a slightly stockier build. Just my thoughts, other than that it looks nice!
  • Laze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's looking cool, but as you mentioned get some good solid reference on fabric folds as the attire is really killing it for me as a whole.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I managed to sort out most of the stuff with regards to the hand size and the folds (On the jacket anyway).

I will have a play with the legs and ankles when I next get a chance to work on him.

Sadly ZBrush was not very happy about the progress I was making and decided to stop letting me save my ZTool. I managed to get these screen shots and catch up with some of the work that I lost but then ZBrush crashed again lol I managed to get it back to about 12 minutes from the pics above so not all is lost.

WC8.jpg

WC7.jpg

WC6.jpg

WC5.jpg

Let me know what you think :)
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally digging your style but are you going to leave it a clay mesh? Or are you going to UV and texture the sculpt?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks PHArt :) I intend on making him a real-time character. I just need to make a few tweaks then I will be onto the Low poly :)

-UPDATE-

W4.png

W2.png

W3.png

W1.png

W5.png

Apologies for the size of the pics and the quality of the renders. It is very late and I am in need of sleep.

I spent more time on this today and I am pretty happy with it now. I just need to clean up the hair a bit and add some damage and texture to the cane, and touch up some areas like the collars and t-shirt folds etc then I will begin the low poly :)

If there is anything that doesn't look right, please say as I will do my best to correct it :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Removed Double Post]
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount, I managed to spend some more time on this guy. Sadly I can only ever really work on him 1 day a week which sucks so progress isn't as fast as I would like it to be at the moment. Anyway, here are some renders of the finished sculpt, now it is time to hop on to the retop train.

Render.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could give me your opinions on how I should go about modelling the mouth.

I want to stay true to the initial Showdown brief and make him a fighting character. He would have the cigar in his mouth while fighting as his special move will either be a cane smash or a Death cloud from his cigar.

Seeing as the cigar will be in his mouth for the majority of the time I was just wondering if I should model/texture it in the deformed cigar in mouth position or texture it in a relaxed position?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have managed to get the low poly model finished and unwrapped, apart from some tiny adjustments to some rogue verts. Winston and the cane are just under 12,000 tri's. I am trying to figure out what to do with the chain. I have saved some uv space for it and I have some triangles to play with. I am either going to use a alpha to fake it or using the geo to model it. I am leaning more towards the alpha at the moment, what do you guys think?

WinstFront.jpg

WinstBack.jpg

WinstonUnwrap.jpg

chain.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    low looks good! I think you could lose a whole loop in the arm region and put that in the thigh area to smooth it out more.
    The inner jacket (the one shown with the chain) looks really messy. I reckon you could cut some tris out?

I think alpha'ng should do the job.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Honestly, I think you aught to get rid of the multiple layers of fabric. It's okay to have the overcoat as separate geometry because that might be animated to open or flap a bit, but the skin/shirt/waistcoat will always be stuck together.

The way you currently have it is -very- prone to geoclipping and z-fighting, plus it will cause aliasing artifacts, plus the silhouettes of the layers are still rather blocky.

It's much more efficient (in terms of polies, workflow, and texture space) to make those 3 layers as 1 continuous mesh and letting the normalmaps do most of the work. Maybe have an inset loop here and there for the 'stretch holes' but even that isn't necessary.

If you want to use geo for the chain, I'd suggest not modeling it as currently and baking it, but making some sort of tileable texture and a lowpoly mesh, and then put those in the right positions.

And like Sahib said, slightly less polies in the arm and slightly more in the legs. You could cut back a few in the shoes as well.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I have played around with the poly distribution on the jacket, trousers and arms so it all seems to flow a lot better.

The belly and under shirt are one object now, God knows what I was thinking before lol I have made a new dinner jacket with better topology, but in order to avoid some of the issues that Snader mentioned, I am going to play around with the edge loop loop placement so that it lines up with the layer beneath to reduce possible clipping clipping.

I will stop rambling on now and show some pics

Wire1.jpg

Wire2-1.jpg

Wire3.jpg
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update with the baked Normals and AO :)

The Alpha for the chain has worked really well, although from some harsh angles 1 or 2 links are hard to see but that's not a problem.

He is 12,000 triangles and the Cane is 700.

AONormals.jpg

Wireframe-1.jpg

Closeups.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool Mike, loving the cane! The connection between the thumb and wrist looks a bit off though, maybe an issue with the normals. Also are you able to clean up the line indent in his top-hat? Looks jagged atm.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Paul! I will have a look at the hand and the hat,should hopefully be quick fixes.

--UPDATE--

Here is some progress on the texturing :)

I was thinking about making the larger eye a slightly different colour kind of like a dead eye or a glass eye but at the moment it looks pretty cool so I might leave it as it is.

HeadTexture_zpsfa5cf02e.jpg
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to spend a couple more hours on this today making some adjustments to the head and hair, along with texturing the cigar and making a start on the bow tie.

I set up a mega quick lighting setup with the Xoliul shader. It looks pants at the moment without a spec map and no material definition but I think it will look pretty cool when I get round to that.

Texturing1copy_zps9d612fb3.jpg
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It probably doesnt look like too much has changed but I have been doing a lot of little tweaks especially around that hand area, getting the nails to line up correctly on the diffuse and normal etc

Hes starting to get there, I still have a lot of work to do on the shoes, cane and fabric all round. I got anoyed with the shinyness and it was really distracting so I made a really simple spec map to break it up a bit.

Hat.jpg

frontback-2.jpg

handshoecopy.jpg
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really dig the textures on the suit and shoe, but I feel the skin and eyes are quite flat in comparison. I'd say the eyes more than anything could use more work.
    Keep it up!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DeadPixel :)

--UPDATE--

I have managed to spend some more time on him and it is starting to come together, thanks to the help and feedback that I received in the google hangouts :)

Winstonhead.jpg

WInstonfull.jpg

Shoeandhand.jpg

I still need to make a gloss map and add some overlays to the spec and normals then I will create a rig for him. I am thinking of putting him in UDK and playing around with some SSS and some funky metal shaders.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished texturing this guy now :) I should be able to wrap it up tomorrow then make a start on the rigging.

W1-1.jpg

W2-1.jpg

W3-1.jpg

I have a next gen eye setup but for some reason when I use it and set transparency to best then the hair goes all crazy and the alphas break :s When the next gen eyes are turned on the eyes look much better with reflections etc.

Any comments and crits are welcome :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I saw this in the waywo man and I have to say those eyes are pretty bad. And by pretty bad I mean they are uncomfortably large and not even in a stylized way. I would probably not put this in my portfolio until I fixed some of the strange proportions mate. Ears too large and high too. There's a couple of other things wrong but if you take my initial crit well I'll spend some more time helping you out.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry dude I didn't see this earlier.

the final colour/effects werent half bad, but i think the folds on the cloth were a problem to begin with, far too bold and smooth, just requires lots more practise.

shoes are excellent, cane is a great idea.

Don't be afraid to warp a character heavily. Winston was a fat bastard, and evil winston could of had his features pushed further. You can have realistic detailing, but stylised/cartoony shapes/form.

I'd say, do some quick studies of faces and cloth before your next big character, where you should do something similar to this, but show your improvement.

(says the guy who struggles with faces ^_^ )
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ceebee - Thanks for pointing that out withthe ears and eyes, I have made both smaller and it has made a huge difference to him. I have also made the hands and shoes a bit smaller as his hand was bigger than his face and his shoes looked like small boats haha

@ Ravanna - haha no worries man. Yeah I know what you mean about the folds I literally went through 3 versions of them on the hangouts and its a hard thing to get looking right as the folds vary so much, and you cant get that many references of dat people in suits that arent sumo outfits or fancy dress lol

Thanks , I think I will take your advice on that and make some small study sculpts.

-- UPDATE --

Here is a small update I have made on him. I would have worked on it in the hangouts but my computer was struggling.

I have made lots of small tweaks to the lighting , materials and proportions.

I am still not happy with the cloth spec I kind of want to make it have a faint fresnel/cotton falloff. (made sense in my head lol)

I still need to sort out the hair thing aswell as it looks ridiculous at the moment.

Heres some more images

bettereyes.jpg

prop1.jpg

tweakedlighting.jpg

Does anyone know a decent Hi Low range to use for skin in the Gloss map?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Glad you fixed some of the face proportions, looking a bit better. Might want to take a look at more winston churchill photos, you'll notice that his head is very round whereas you've got it a bit rectangular/boxy. Also one thing is his torso is posed very strange like he is jutting his gut out at you, but that's the only part that seems fat on him. Take a look at this for reference: http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Madame-Tussauds-Wax-Museum-opens-their-US-Presidents-Gallery-in-Washington_1-500x354.jpg

You'll notice the fat roundly goes from the top of the chest to the bottom of the belly, it doesn't start out flat (and seemingly in-shape) upper torso and then all of a sudden jut out.

If you throw your diffuse up in a link I can take a look and see what's going on with the skin. Right now it looks like the diffuse is a bit too saturated or whatever subsurface you've got going is a bit too heavy.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ceebee, you were right about the belly and the shape of his head.

The reference you linked me was great and he looks far more believable now, the old belly was flat at the front for some reason which killed the side view; now the jacket is wrapped around the belly and you can see all 3 layers of clothes and the belly from the side as opposed to just the jacket.

Progress2-1.jpg

Progress-1.jpg

I took Ravanna's advice and added some fat to the head to stylize it a bit.

The pics may look pretty crappy because is pretty much 3am over here and I am lacking sleep so I grabbed the pics with some basic post shader stuff on them.

The textures lighting and materials still need a lot of tweaking as they are all fighting each other at the moment.

Here are the textures you requested

textures-4.jpg

- Edit: I just noticed that I uploaded the old spec map before I added in the hue shift for the eyes. Note to self, do not update thread at 3am lol
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man looking good, you're almost there! One thing that’s reading a bit weird is the belly. It doesn’t look like a human belly, more like a big belly or something, and unfortunately there's a really obvious seam at the bottom which is reading as a flat, bright pink line.

The seam seems to be more obvious because its actually been painted in your diffuse, so getting rid of that should help. As for the belly reading weird, maybe you can smooth out the hair normals on the belly, and just use the diffuse to show the hairs. I'm not sure if this will work, but maybe worth a try?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Paul, I will try that.

The problem I had there is that I used the dam standard to make the hair and i guess I had the falloff set too low and it made the hairs massive :O I will try just using a xnormal filter for them instead, then I can subtract them from the spec map as they are shiney at the moment which looks wrong.

People on the hangouts said that it reminded them of a horse vagina!LOL
    I can never look at it in the same way now :\

I will have a play with the textures and see if I can give the belly a falloff or something to blend it in with the trousers so that it reads better. I think the seam thing might be the fresnel as the part where the belly joins is out of sight as the belly is overhanging it. I'll have a look anyway and play around with all of the settings for the fresnel as it is pretty harsh at the moment.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    OMG dude haha that link, can't unsee! You better write it as NSFW and hyper link it :s
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed the link, I don't think the world is ready for it yet lol
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to recreate the lighting and materials as they were fighting each other and looked really messy.

NewShader2.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Well its really starting to look better, but there are some larger things that need addressing.

Probably the most major is that he doesn't look like winston churchill, and doesn't look like he could fit in that era. It's not the face so much, but the body and the clothes. His pants are hugging his hips, like they are low-rise jeans kind of fit. Pants from that era would rise to the belly button at least, or just below it, and would fit the circumference well. They lay flat on the legs, because that wool type material of english suits doesn't crease or crumple quite the way you have here.

The shirt I get is supposed to be tight, but you have him with a pinch where his chest/pecks should be. Mr. Churchill was barrel chested, and had a lot of his mass up high. If you wanted to stylize him or emulate him more realistically, you'd want to shift mass into his chest and ribs, and thin up his legs. He is one of these chicken legged fat men.

His face is also too thin. Churchill has a round face, like a baby. You got the fat in his neck right, but he needs some in his cheeks.

Anyways, I'm impressed with the way you keep making changes to get it right, I think you're moving in a good direction. Personally, if you're dedicated to finishing this right, I would suggest going back to the sculpt, getting the material and figure correct first.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    even though i agree with ysalex to an extent, i dont think going back to the sculpt would be a good idea.
    It looks so much better and imgald you changed the proportions of this face abit.

IMHO, just get through this model gather whatever youve learned making sure you come out as a better artist and make something else. Going back fixing things is boring and i think thats bad work ethic, even if youre learning.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Fair enough. What I meant was that I think most of your problems lie in the base sculpt. I think if you want to fix the piece, you need to go back to that and iron these things out (proportions, how the clothing reads). But Butt_sahib is more correct than I, in that he points out that it might be in your best interest NOT to fix the problems, and instead put your time to better use by using all the new skills you learned with this piece to work on something new.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking a lot better as you go along mate, keep making them changes!

I agree with the majority of the feedback here, but i think you may be able to apply a few of them without having to do a full re-work on it. Fatten the proportions up a bit more, it shouldn't alter the textures much visibly, see what you can get away with. For the trousers, i'd still keep the massive pig belly poking out, but see if you can raise the waist level of the pants a bit more by raising the belly up/squashing it slightly, again see how much you can get away with.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ysalex - Thanks for the feedback! Your right about the folds and the trousers, I sacrificed historical accuracy for artistic freedom. I was a bit ignorant with the suit folds and decided to make a modern suit as I found that the old thick suits made everyone look like the Lurpak dude lol (I should have just made him instead) In the futurte I will just stick with the original reference :)

lurpak2l.jpg

I have chickenified his legs and massed out the chest and face like you suggested and it has really paid off, so thanks for bringing that up (y)

butt_sahib - Thanks :) I know what you mean. The time spent on fixing things could be spent on newer projects.

Instead of going back to the sculpt for the face I just added some fat creases with the Xnormal filter in Photoshop.

Impala88 - Thanks man, gotta love soft selection haha I still need to relax some areas.

It really is amazing how much you can get away with, without having to retexture everything.

-- Update --

winstimage1-1.jpg

winstimage2.jpg

I manged to spend some more time on this last ngiht, it feels like I have been working on this forever!

I have made loads of changes to the proportions and the textures. I still need to sort out the hair textures then I will crack on with the rig. I need to get this character finished so that I can start my next project and implemented all of the stuff I have learnt from this one.

I don't know if this is a orthodox technique, but , for the hands I used a push modifier and a bend modifier to make them thicker and naturally rounded.

I have been having some issues with the gamma of my monitors so he is a slightly different color on each screen, so if looks the wrong colors please shout haha
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a massive break from this as I have been really busy with work etc but now I am back to finish what I started. I need to make some tweaks to the textures and the rig but I am like 98% don't with him now :)

WinstonPoses-1.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I like these poses, especially the first two. And that last one is definetly a portfolio winner! Not sure about the pose on the top right. The pose itself looks good, but it kidna feels like the cane is floating. Also I think you've overdone the red on the palms, it looks like her burnt his hands.

Good work man, almost there!
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big fan of the last pose. A walking cycle would be excellent.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Paul you were right, I guess I got too carried away trying to fake the SSS stuff and turned him into a lobster.

PHArt - Thanks, a walk cycle of that pose would be one of the strangest things I have ever seen haha.

-- UPDATE --

I have been tweaking the textures and shaders. I am practically finished on this guy now :) I was just wondering what light setup you would suggest?

I have seen 2 variations of the 3 point lighting setup that are common in character renders.

A - The rim light is on the same side as the Key light to help pop the highlights.

B - The rim light is on the opposite side to add a sort of rim light effect to the model

I have tried to replicate each of the setups in the pictures below (K - Key, F - Fill, R - Rim)

lighting_comparison.jpg

church.jpg

Apologies for the poor lighting doodles, the atom thing is the character!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey man, looks better from last time i looked at it, but still has form problems and that really stems from the base sculpt. im sure you learned a lot from doing this one and will be better next time. good luck!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you garriola83

That's right, I can't wait to put it all to good use!

Do you think I would be able to solve any of those form issues with a bit of vertex pulling?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some more adjustments to the textures shaders and the lighting and I manged to come up with something that I am happy with.

Winstonfrontrender-1.jpg

I need to grab some more renders and make some presentation sheets then it is time to start job hunting :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Here are the final renders. I have learnt so much new stuff during this project, especially through the feedback I received on the G+ hangouts. Thanks to all of you who helped me and I hope you like him :)

• PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    2598x1226?? heavy res! :p

Great presentation man, I really like how this character turned out. Will def be a nice addition to your portfolio!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Paul :)

I have re-sized them so they should load much faster now.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff man, some sick folds and wrinkles going on there and nice presentation! Keep up the good work :)
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 12
    Silhouettes cool. All came along nicely and the improvements look much better (especially toning down the psycho eyes. The pose kickass as well! Definitely a couple tweaks mentioned on the hangout and you're there :)
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    looking good liking the presentation - keep at it Mike!