Old (#1)
Complete!

Templar Assassin - Deadly Nightshade

Full set can be found at the Steam Workshop here:
Steam Workshop :: Deadly Nightshade

-----

Work-In-Progress information can be found below:

-----

I was notified by my friend and co-worker about this contest and I thought it would be pretty awesome to join in and contribute.

I'm only vaguely familiar with the Dota universe so I had to read up, using the resources provided, and ask some of my friends who actively play it for advice and extra information. Though the roster was packed with so many visually interesting characters, I ultimately decided to choose the Templar Assassin.

Here are some inspirational images I gathered so I can get some ideas running through my head. Some of these images directly influenced my design choices, some didn't and some are just characters that I was reminded of when reading up on Lanaya, the Templar Assassin:

(All image credits belong to their respective owners.)

Here is the original design for the Templar Assassin:

I really dig the angular design with the huge shoulder pads as well as the insignia being pervasive throughout the costume. Though it seems very signature to this character design, I felt I should conceptualize something in contrast to that, just to play around with theme and possibly come out with a design that is just as aesthetically appealing.

And here two variants of the concept sketch I made on top of the in-game model.
1:

2: (Changed the pouch to a tome, the mask to a veil, and added pants.)

I will most likely go with the second variant, unless the poly count goes too far, then I'll probably opt for the first or a mix of the two. My main concern is the poly count, so I'm hoping it turns out well, if I can get that far. If I do finish, the final design may vary from the concept sketch.

Also, as a question, if anyone knows--is it possible to add extra bones for the rig? Like if I decide to add a cape or flowing cloth for this design, how will I go about doing that and having it implement properly in the game? If it's something I cannot worry about, then I don't mind--I just figured the character would look pretty cool with a cape and it would be nice to have that addition.

Any questions or comments, requests or suggestions, please fell free to let me know and thanks for looking! (And apologies for the large images!)

Last edited by DRa90NBoi; 12-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Added information
Offline , vertex, 47 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#2)
Also, and idea for an alternate mask:

I am a bit iffy on it, but it does look nice.

Last edited by DRa90NBoi; 10-28-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old (#3)
I really like your first concept but with the pant of the second concept, keep the pouch, Lanaya don't read, she just RAPES! but .. needs a pouch for her golds... =}
Offline , vertex, 49 Posts, Join Date Jul 2012,  

Old (#4)
This is a really awesome concept! I have to say I like the form fitting pants over the billowy ones. It seems more suiting for an assassin to not have any more extra cloth bunched up on her legs than necessary, plus the billowy pants have a very Princess Jasmine-esque feel to them if I'm honest. The other pants with the outfit don't give that vibe at all. I do like both veils, but the purely cloth one appeals to me just a little more for some reason. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing where this goes!!
Offline , null, 10 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#5)
I like where this is heading!
Offline , line, 80 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okoo View Post
I really like your first concept but with the pant of the second concept, keep the pouch, Lanaya don't read, she just RAPES! but .. needs a pouch for her golds... =}
Heheh, yes, I'm fond of the pouch concept as well. With the suggestions from my friends, I think the book suits the Templar Assassin more and relates to her back story. But I'll see--it would really come down to what will save more polygons (if I'm lucky, I may be able to include both!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggy View Post
This is a really awesome concept! I have to say I like the form fitting pants over the billowy ones. It seems more suiting for an assassin to not have any more extra cloth bunched up on her legs than necessary, plus the billowy pants have a very Princess Jasmine-esque feel to them if I'm honest. The other pants with the outfit don't give that vibe at all. I do like both veils, but the purely cloth one appeals to me just a little more for some reason. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing where this goes!!
Yea, I know what you mean, and I had my doubts when I added the pants in during conceptualization. I definitely did not want to make the character look like an existing Disney character, of course, heheh. Though I do understand the use of form-fitting pants, the loose pants do provide more freedom of movement (as long as it's not too baggy!), and mobile assassins need that. But ultimately, I decided to add the pants because it changes the overall silhouette of the legs, making it look more like a complete item set than just objects slapped on with with a neglected bottom using the plain default pants. And again, if it turns out that the pants are not forgiving to the poly count, I wouldn't mind changing it or cutting it out completely. We'll see what happens when I get to actual building...

And yes, I agree, the fuller face scarf looks pretty cool as well.

Thanks for the support and suggestions!

Here are the slot divisions for the item set so far--hopefully model work to come soon!

Since the poly count for the armor is so limited, I may have to move some pieces around, like the pants to the shoulder slot, and that might help in the texture space as well.

Thanks again for looking!

Last edited by DRa90NBoi; 10-28-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old (#7)
Reeaally like the look of this... it's like a badass princess jasmine assassin (and I make that kind of comparison in the awesome design way ) I think the pants are an awesome choice and the overall asymmetry is brilliant. *gush* no complaints here, keep with it!
Offline , null, 23 Posts, Join Date Mar 2009, Location Cambridge, UK  

Old (#8)
Alright, after going over the design again with friends, I think I settled on a good final design that incorporates everything that is cool and relatable to the character and concept:

The itemset design:

And the divisions:

I have a bad habit at picking at everything and changing stuff little by little--I should move on to import/export testing and start the modeling process!

Hope you dig and thanks for looking!

Old (#9)
dude i love those pants
Offline , spline, 101 Posts, Join Date Aug 2012,  

Old (#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRa90NBoi View Post
Yea, I know what you mean, and I had my doubts when I added the pants in during conceptualization. I definitely did not want to make the character look like an existing Disney character, of course, heheh. Though I do understand the use of form-fitting pants, the loose pants do provide more freedom of movement (as long as it's not too baggy!), and mobile assassins need that. But ultimately, I decided to add the pants because it changes the overall silhouette of the legs, making it look more like a complete item set than just objects slapped on with with a neglected bottom using the plain default pants. And again, if it turns out that the pants are not forgiving to the poly count, I wouldn't mind changing it or cutting it out completely. We'll see what happens when I get to actual building...

And yes, I agree, the fuller face scarf looks pretty cool as well.
You may be too far along for this but I thought I'd toss it out there anyways. Looking at your concept sheet, if you're looking to change the silhouette, what about going the opposite direction? You have a lot of refs of characters like Jade from MK and a couple others that I can't think of the names for right off who have more like the upper bodysuit and no pants. So what about something like that and then designing some sort of leg armor-type thing that was knee or thigh high? Either way, I still love how this set is coming along. Keep it coming!

Old (#11)
Quote:
You may be too far along for this but I thought I'd toss it out there anyways. Looking at your concept sheet, if you're looking to change the silhouette, what about going the opposite direction? You have a lot of refs of characters like Jade from MK and a couple others that I can't think of the names for right off who have more like the upper bodysuit and no pants. So what about something like that and then designing some sort of leg armor-type thing that was knee or thigh high? Either way, I still love how this set is coming along. Keep it coming!
Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, I think I am too far along to change my mind on the concept, but I like what you're thinking. Initially, the thought did cross my mind to change her to a more bottom-heavy design, but I figured since she attacks with her arms and you view the character from above, much detail on the legs will be missed; so I didn't think too far into it after realizing that. However, when I was thinking of things to add to the legs, I really wanted to change it's silhouette but not take up too much of my poly count limit. I opted for the pants since they matched my concept for her top portion and included just enough detail while covering the original legs without much cost.

Well, here is what I have so far from modeling the armor portion of the item set:

Omit her bald head, heheh--I have yet to get around to modeling Lanaya's hair and scarf yet, but I wanted to concentrate on getting the armor right since that relied heavily on the budgets than the other pieces. I wish this particular section had larger texture space, but I'll just have to work with what I have. Not much difference can be seen for the different LOD meshes, but the main changes were for geometry definition (like in the back of her pants and in the tome), and doubled geometry for backfaces (since the technical requirements says there's no double-sided shaders.

Before I continue working on other portions of this character, I will have to bind the pieces and attempt to import it in the game and see how it goes--hopefully I won't run into any issues...

Old (#12)
Success!

The geometry import/export test ran smoothly, besides a hiccup with the spelling with the mask filenames (remember to rename files from "_masks1" to "_mask1"). The texture is just a test texture to show the stretching and resolution, so apologies if it looks a bit garish. Things to work on that I could see immediately is the weighting and adjusting some of the geometry as there are some points of interpenetration, especially in the pants area.

More to come soon!

Old (#13)
You know, I take it back. Seeing the base texture on the model itself those pants look just fine, not nearly like I thought it would! Keep it up, very interested to see where this goes

Old (#14)
Does Templar Assassin's model support transparency/opacity on the masks?

If so I think this set would look great with a light transparency to part of it, since it has a very strong middle-eastern vibe going for it.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Offline , spline, 136 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#15)
Wow, loving the set so far. Love the billowly pants. Can't wait to see it finished.

Also, good work squeezing that much detail out of the polycount for the armour.
Offline , spline, 128 Posts, Join Date May 2012,  

Old (#16)
Quote:
You know, I take it back. Seeing the base texture on the model itself those pants look just fine, not nearly like I thought it would! Keep it up, very interested to see where this goes
Thanks! I'm glad the pants turned out well--I'm hoping I will get a good result with the other parts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaemirix View Post
Does Templar Assassin's model support transparency/opacity on the masks?

If so I think this set would look great with a light transparency to part of it, since it has a very strong middle-eastern vibe going for it.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Unfortunately, the Templar Assassin doesn't use a Transparency map. I don't think the model uses the Detail or Diffuse/Fresnel masks either. I agree, it would be cool to have some semi-transparent parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryn View Post
Wow, loving the set so far. Love the billowly pants. Can't wait to see it finished.

Also, good work squeezing that much detail out of the polycount for the armour.
It was a task to economize the geometry, but now I hope the textures will turn out well with such a small resolution...

Here is what I have for the shoulder slot:

I obviously have a lot of geometry left over for LOD0 and a bit for LOD1. Even though I call the modeling done for now, I later left some extra empty space on my UV sheet in case I decide to add something else to it later (maybe a cape, if possible, or something to cover the shoes).

Next is the hair and then sculpt and texture work!

Old (#17)
I love this design so much! Keep up the great work!
Offline , polycounter, 1,272 Posts, Join Date Sep 2007, Location Widgee, Australia  

Old (#18)
Finished modeling the hair:

I ran through another import and adjust the geometry and weighting for all the pieces. So far, everything seems fine, but when I run through some of the animations, I notice some of the verticies wiggling outside of where they should be. I'm not sure if this is a common issue with anyone else, but it's a bit of a nuisance...

I didn't notice it in the LOD1, but the LOD0 is definitely noticeable. I double and triple checked my weights and readjusted them but it does not fix the issue. I am unsure if the weights are redistributed, there's some hidden influences for the animations, or if the imports just aren't updating properly. If anyone has any advice for this, I'd really appreciate it.

In the meantime, I'll delete files and folders the game created for the items and try the re-import the pieces at a later date and hopefully that fixes the issue if it's an update problem.

Sculpting and texture work to come soon!

Old (#19)
Sorry for the long time without an update--here is my progress so far:

Because I'm new to sculpting still, I decided to get some hard modeling out of the way first, then I'll get into the more organic sculpts. Hopefully more progress to come soon!

Old (#20)
So many delays on my end, but here are more hard-surface models:

Sculpting is almost done and normal transfers and colors to come soon!

Old (#21)
Tis is sooooo good. I rly love tis.
Offline , null, 3 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012,  

Old (#22)
Someone, looking really good, can't wait to see some in game shots with textures on them!
- Naso
Offline , spline, 142 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Send a message via MSN to Naso  

Old (#23)
Took a while, but here are the transferred normals:

I had to paint in some touch ups and corrections, but that part didn't take too long. I have an issue with the normals not even showing up in-game, but I think that had to do with flat mask layers, otherwise it's the file format I am saving it at (correct me if I am wrong, but 24-bit .tga's are the way to go, right?), so I'll try to get that sorted out. Going to transfer other maps and work on colors, so more to come soon!

Old (#24)
Nice, bake looks good. Get cracking on that diffuse

Normal info is right. Could be the masks giving you problems. Make sure with your masks that each channel isn't one solid black color. That can give funky results. So say you want mask1 (g) to be all black. Leave some pure white marks in an unused corner.
Offline , line, 54 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
Nice, bake looks good. Get cracking on that diffuse

Normal info is right. Could be the masks giving you problems. Make sure with your masks that each channel isn't one solid black color. That can give funky results. So say you want mask1 (g) to be all black. Leave some pure white marks in an unused corner.
Heheh, okay--finally got a good portion of the diffuse done--I will post a WIP of it as soon as I have it looking pretty. In the meantime, here's the really basic breakdown of the colors and shades in the texture:

I have no idea if my normal's green channel is flipped or not (normal maps were baked in Maya with mostly default settings), but I will test it in the game when I get around to it...

Man, getting pressed for time...