Old (#1)
So now that we've come to a final decision I'm starting a fresh thread.

Our old thread is here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107996

Here's the final concept along with a little bio

This Meepo is a well seasoned traveller. A collector of junk and a dealer in tall tales, this drifter has seen it all out in the ruins, and for an incredibally high price he might even let you in on a secret or two. Just keep the secret to yourself and you’ll keep your tongue!

Offline , line, 67 Posts, Join Date Nov 2011, Location Cambridge, UK  

Old (#2)
As you've been told before, very strong concept and very fitting set!
Offline , triangle, 412 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010,  

Old (#3)

Heres my start to the weapon. Just AO and base colours down for the mo, I'm planning on getting each item to this level, tweaking all my levels and then seeing how far I can push the texture details. I'm currently working on the backpack so I should have something to share soon.

Old (#4)
wow looking great
Offline , line, 96 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012,  

Old (#5)
Great!
Offline , line, 53 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#6)
best
set
for Meepo
EVER
Offline , vertex, 27 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#7)
Damn, this is great!!!
Offline , spline, 111 Posts, Join Date Aug 2012, Location Spain  

Old (#8)
Cheeky update from me today!

Thanks a lot guys for the comments, I spent last night doing a simple sculpt for his rucksack. I think I can call my initial lowpoly for the set done, its going to pain me to make the LOD but hopfully I'll manage alright

I'm gona throw some basic colour over the rucksacks AO, then have an overall tweak of all the colours for the set before going into more details.

Old (#9)
Love it!
Offline , spline, 165 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location Belgium  

Old (#10)
Best Meepo I have seen so far. :o
Offline , line, 80 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#11)
Sweet concept and progress so far. Keep it up!
Offline , line, 57 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012,  

Old (#12)
This is a set i might even want on my meepo. Can't wait to see the final set. I also like that you keept the original silhouette with that banjo or what ever instrument that is.
Offline , null, 19 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012, Location Stockholm, Sweden  

Old (#13)
Thought I'd better get some sort of understanding on submitting models for game. I used the weapon as a test as I only need to skin to one bone, was pretty straight forward! Is there any way of viewing the higher poly LOD0 in the game viewer and not just the LOD1??

The only slight clipping regarding animation was on the death anim. When the weapon is on the ground it slightly intersects with the ground plane, this a problem? I think I'll rotate the mesh 90 degrees as meepos attacks will make more sense with the flat side of the pan being the contact point rather than the branch. Also from the game camera you really cant see the leaf, I'll most likely enlarge it.

Texturing still WIP. I'll post up my WIP texturing for the rucksack later after some tweaks

Old (#14)
About time I posted an update. Heres a quick marmoset grab, I havent played with any shaders, theres no spec just pure diffuse and normal at the mo. I'll be tinkering with the textures over the next few days then I'll create masks later in the week when I have time.

I'm gona rework the hat as I noticed a fair amount of clipping towards the back of the hat during his run cycle, I'll just curl up the back corner (with the ear coming through) as its just intersecting with his backpack. I'll also sculpt in the stitches as the normal map I made was always just a quick sculpt.

Expect something closer to the the final textures next time. I'll then sort the masks and I'm done

Let me know what you guys think.

Old (#15)
Awesome work Beats. Really nice silhouette and i'm looking forward to seeing it in motion!!
----
Portfolio
FB / Twitter
Character Artist - The Creative Assembly.
Offline , polygon, 685 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Horsham, UK.  

Old (#16)
Cheers Baj, now theres the two week extension you shouldnt have any worries finishing. I'm just chatting with Tom about starting another set as well. So I'll be pushing to get this done before the weekend and cracking on with a fresh set.

Looking forward to seeing your finished Pudge mate

Old (#17)

Just had a thought. We could maybe bring back the Riftshadow Crystals into his backpack. It would serve as a good attractor for him. It also ties back into his character quite strongly. Maybe something we could manage with the new deadline? Its not a deal breaker, just could be cool

Last edited by TeeStock; 11-14-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: resized image for better viewing
Offline , null, 22 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012, Location Cambridge, UK  

Old (#18)
Maybe its worth keeping the crystal for another set.

Right now the Bottles seem to be balancing out the detail and keeping the attention focused on the banjo. The crystal seems like it conflicts too much with the banjo (which one does your eye instantly focus on, the silhouette of the banjo or the luminescence of the crystal).

If you did another set, treasure hunter or crystal collector could be the main theme.
----
Portfolio
FB / Twitter
Character Artist - The Creative Assembly.
Offline , polygon, 685 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location Horsham, UK.  

Old (#19)
Great feedback, cheers mate. You're right about the focus being drawn from the banjo. I guess im aware that the banjo is quite a bold centerpiece, design wise, and I was intentionally drawing focus from it a bit to help sell the banjo backpack as definately a Meepo item (lore over art sensibilities). Me and Beats love the pack with just the bottles and banjo, we're just hoping the guys at Valve do too!

We're probably not going to tie the crystals into this set at this late stage, but like you suggested bring them into our new set from the start, which i start designing tomorow!

Cheers bud!

Last edited by TeeStock; 11-14-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Offline , null, 22 Posts, Join Date Oct 2012, Location Cambridge, UK  

Old (#20)
Looking ace guys, really like how it's turned out. I also have to agree that although the crystals work quite well, it does draw a lot away from the banjo. Maybe tweak the bottle colours so they stand out a bit more?
Latest work thread - bit out of date.

Portfolio - Click it, you know you want to! Not updated since Feb 2014.

Working with Rock Pocket Games on Oliver & Spike!
Offline , vertex, 42 Posts, Join Date Jul 2012, Location Warwick, UK  

Old (#21)
nice, love it! xD
especially the guitar!

and yeah, crystals look cool but the bottles fit the set better,
also like you painted it it maybe needs some cool particles but we can't do that yet,
so maybe something for when the SDK launches! ;)

Last edited by LuCh!; 11-20-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Offline , triangle, 288 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Belgium  

Old (#22)
Turned out great let's see some in-game shots!
meh, drinking is bad.
Offline , veteran polycounter, 3,009 Posts, Join Date Jan 2005,  

Old (#23)
Cheers Guys, I spent a bit of time experimenting with the masks to get good results last night. I'll post some in game shots soon (hopefully tonight). Gutted that I cant look at the whole set together in the model viewer.

Old (#24)
You can, it's just a bit more difficult.

The set looks incredible!
Offline , polycounter, 938 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location Sydney Send a message via Skype™ to BrontoThunder  

Old (#25)
This is awesome and all the assets tie so nicely together as a theme! =D
Offline , null, 20 Posts, Join Date Dec 2009, Location London, UK