handplane - new tangent space tool in public beta

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master

handplane has been released and support has been moved to this thread:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116899

Hi Polycounters,
handplane is a new tool being developed by Luke Hodorwicz and myself with the goal of solving tangent basis mismatch issues across multiple game engines. We are currently at an early beta status and wanted to open the tool up to more people for feedback. handplane is not a baking tool but instead acts as a tangent space calculator. The basic workflow is object space normals + lowpoly model = engine specific tangent space normals:
howto.jpg

There are several key advantages to this workflow:
1)
You can keep baking in the software you already use. This also means that the tangent space result becomes package agnostic. For example, you can make a maya tangent space normal map as a 3dsmax user who bakes in xnormal.

2)
Because baking and tangent space generation are separated into different processes the bake itself doesn’t care what your normals look like. Baking becomes just a system of creating projections. As long as you aren’t breaking your UVs, you can make changes to smoothing and topology on your lowpoly model without having to actually rebake everything. In this case you would just run the new lowpoly model + original object space normals back through handplane for a tangent space map that reflects the changes made to the model.

3)
Taking that idea further, you can bake with higher tessellation proxy geometry in order to solve projection issues like cylinder cap waviness and detail skewing. There is also the potential for generating normal maps for lod stages that don’t create smoothing errors with the lower detail models.

We are looking for as much feedback as we can get from polycount members. This includes interface issues, bugs, workflow confusion, and small details of usability. Please post here, PM me, or email alecmoody@gmail.com In all cases please include your name, and information about what kind of work you do (where you work, what engines you are using, what kinds of assets...)

[size=+2]handplane has been released
http://www.handplane3d.com[/size]

changes detailed here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1710509&postcount=117

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    More Information:

If you find that your tangent space maps are coming out odd colors this is most likely a Y/Z up issue. A common case for this is if you export a low from 3dsmax (z up) but are using an object space bake from Xnormal (Y up). To fix this go to “more options” and then hit the y/z toggle option in the input section. This can’t be solved by channel flipping since a y/z up issue is a 90 degree rotation and not an axis inversion.

Maya Users:

There are a set of plugins for maya 2013 for a custom model format for your lowpoly meshes. This is necessary if you don’t want to fully triangulate your models. Maya generates different normals for un-triangulated quads but the tangent basis still needs to know the internal triangle direction. This plugin passes the triangle direction for each quad while keeping the correct normals.

Tangent basis outputs:
    Both 3dsmax and Maya tangent basis outputs are close to perfect. Both output options should be able to handle arbitrary topology and badly put together assets.

For the three game engines the output is better than any conventional pipeline but not perfect. More specific information about those engines below:

Source:
    A much closer match than 3dsmax tangent basis (and far better than using Maya). We have good documentation on this and are still working on figuring out where remaining errors come from. In practice this is a huge improvement over anything else available.

Unreal:
    Similar in quality to the new xnormal -> UDK workflow released in the July UDK build. However, this DOES work with skeletal meshes since it does not rely in importing tangents/normals from the object. It is very important that you do not enable any options in UDK to import this information (NO EXPLICIT NORMALS BUTTON) as this will break the result. It is our understanding that there are some internal precision compromises being made inside unreal that ultimately limit the final quality. This is a huge improvement over the old explicit normals pipeline and using normal maps from max, xnormal, and maya. Also, be sure to uncheck “remove degenerates” on your import as this can also create errors.

unreal_comp.jpg

Unity:
    Again, not perfect but better than any conventional workflow (James O'Hare has an xnormal plugin that should provide similar results). In this case we are limited by documentation quality. It took us several months to get any information to be released and getting further support is difficult. Anyone who has more access to this information is welcome to contact us.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to sticky this for now so you guys can get as much feedback here as possible.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Thanks Joe. This weekend I am going to put together more sample information including bake results and some workflow tricks.

One obvious sample is this test asset I did for the tool:

index.jpg

This was baked in xnormal, converted to max tangent space, and previewed with the 3point shader.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome news, looking forward to see people's tests with this with different engines.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    thanks HP. We would love to get cryengine supported at some point :)
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Awesome work guys.

Always had problem with normal simmetryzing, as it shows no problem on marmoset but does with Xoliul and 3point shader. Will try it asap :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Brilliant !
    I hope companies will encourage this instead of doing information retention, I only see better content here !
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    lovely work guys, will mess around with it in the next few days.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Downloaded! will try and report it back. TKS a lot!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus thank you so much, If this does what you say all my issues with unity might be out the window!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    seforin:
    Expect results comparable to that unreal image I posed for unity. You will still need the occasional split or supporting loop but more often then splitting smoothing at UV borders will solve things.

Also, everyone please post the results of your testing.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    why no import/export option for .tga?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hi Divi,
    thats a good question. We have been working with 16bit tiff files but adding tga support would be a good addition.
  • Wade Garland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alec,

Great stuff on 3d Motive, any way we could get a tut on this new tool?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this could be amazingly useful to a lot of people, nice going guys!

And I second tga support.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Tool has a lot of potential. Its nice to see such software being made.
    Although I have one question. Will be there an inverse option to provide tangent space normal and low poly model to receive object space normals? Or it is already possible to achieve is some kind of way?
    Good luck!!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    HandPlaneUDKTest.jpg
    quickly thrown together test in UDK. minus the conversion from tga to tiff and back for import into udk this turned out so much better than i would have thought, especially considering the terrible lowpoly, unwrap, smoothing and cage :D. with tga support and a taskbar icon i might consider having sex with it! :X or paying. or both!

no bugs discovered yet, will test it on some proper things next.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Konras wrote: »
    Tool has a lot of potential. Its nice to see such software being made.
    Although I have one question. Will be there an inverse option to provide tangent space normal and low poly model to receive object space normals? Or it is already possible to achieve is some kind of way?
    Good luck!!

Yes, this is planned. Assuming developers know what the original map was baked in, and that the tangent space normals aren't horribly compressed, you should be able to do the conversion back to object space and then again into a target space. This would let developers on current projects improve their shading quality without having to go back and rebake anything.

That result looks great divi.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I don't really understand why the tool converts object space normal maps to the correct tangent space normal maps instead of converting tangent space normal maps to the correct tangent space normal maps. So this means instead of baking a tangent space normal map I bake an object space normal map in my preferred program and then convert it with this tool? Is an object space normal easier to bake btw? ^^
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hamzaaa,
    The reason in starts with object space maps is that for the most part, all applications agree on how they work. This limits the number of conversions required so as not to compound errors from multiple conversions together.

Your bake workflow should look identical except that you will just tell the software to output object space/world space instead of tangent space. From a projections standpoint, object space are no easier to bake. However, object space bakes will shade correctly with any geometry.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I'm creating assets for Source. Though I'm exporting and compiling using Wall Worm Modeling Tools from within Max.

I assume that I'll convert object space to Max tangents for viewing and texturing my model, then convert it to Source tangents when I need to export out of Max. Does that workflow seem right?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    mospheric,
    You could work that way. Since source is like the other two engines in that it isn't perfect I would do a quick normals test before you consider the lowpoly/baking complete. If that all looks good you can just preview your normals in max in object space.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    a friend of mine just sent me the link to this thread... and I must say this is awesome!!!! can't wait to try it out. Thank you
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Any chance on getting a normal map import option for Softimage, Zbrush, or XNormal?
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, can't wait to try it :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hey Cyrid, yeah we will flush out this list. Xnormal object space maps are the same as maya so for now just use the maya option. Between the max option, the maya option, and the extra options for channel flipping you should be able to make anything work. In the future this will be made more intuitive.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    hey guys this tool has been approved by me since its inception so you should all try it, it's pretty sick
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    If that all looks good you can just preview your normals in max in object space.

One note here, if you are doing any mirroring you would want to convert to a TS map that is max specific for preview. Otherwise simply using the OS map in max would mean errors on any mirrored/instanced parts(if the instances have been rotated).

Unless you have a shader that supports object space mirroring.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Baked in Maya and converted for Maya, but this happens. Any idea what's up?

testcube_maya.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    fingus, email me your lowpoly and object space map and I will take a look later tonight.
    alecmoody@gmail.com
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, I just gave this tool a go. I tried to go from Maya to Unity, but I ran into some problems. On the plus side, it certainly cleaned up some of the problems I was facing. On the down side, it introduced some other, much more tragic problems.

Here is the object space normal map I started with:

VjPwu.jpg

Here is the tangent space map that HandPlane gave me:

7cRHC.jpg

Looking good! I went to test it out and then realized that there were some problems with it.

Here is the model with a tangent-space map straight from Maya:

zYIRx.jpg

And here is the same model with the tangent-space map from HandPlane:

H8EYD.jpg

I am probably fucking something up, but I am not super sure what it is. The problems seem localized to certain areas. The sockets on the sides where the arms meet the torso are fixed up though! So that's promising.

I should probably mention that this map is only applied to the center object in those screenshots, his torso. The problem is most visible right in the middle of his forehead around the seam.

Any ideas?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Divi - A REALLL dumb question (so I apologize) but I have to ask... the middle one is the result from handplane right? If so... fackin magic!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    it looks like something strange is happening with the model itself. If you switch to a different TB output, say 3dsmax. Does the top area of the map still break? Also, feel free to email me your maya file to look at later.

alecmoody@gmail.com
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Divi - A REALLL dumb question (so I apologize) but I have to ask... the middle one is the result from handplane right? If so... fackin magic!

Jason,
    The middle image in his post is the object space map. The normal map covered in gradients is the handplane output. Those gradients are more or less correctly compensating for the crazy smoothing on the surface of that mesh.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alec, no that gives me the same results.
    eMzzi.jpg
    By changing green to Identity, it clears up the other problems the map gets by switching modes like that.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It looks like this is related to an issue with the model (might be fbx related). Could you email the maya file along with object space bake for me to look at?

alecmoody@gmail.com
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally, sending it along. This tool is great! Can't wait to see what I did wrong so I can start using it to fix these problems I've been having.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Alec - So he was using 1 smoothing group? Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh also, in the target engine you have the option to Input Tangent and Binormal information, is this feature still locked since there is no way to actually input that information yet.

Thanks again :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    so you still have to use xnormal or your chosen softare to bake the maps in the first place?

Im using udk soon so this will be definatly be getting used!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    How much does it change the modelling ? Can we use 1 smoothing group like in synced workflow ? (i know 1 sg isn't best option but want to know).

How does change the creation of low poly ? You don't need supporting loops anymore to remove skewed detail ? Sorry if it is already answered but Ir really can't find anything about mesh creation changes.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Support for Targa and .obj formats?
    Also...did I win?

[redacted]
    Edit:fixed, problem was 3ds generating a bad .fbx file.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It still shouldn't crash on you like that.

added OBJ support and TGA support to the list of requested features.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerssss! Been waiting for something like this for so long!
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FYI the problem I was having was caused by one of my UV's being outside of 0,0 to 1,1. Fixed that and then the map converted perfectly. This tool is great!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    we will fix the problem relating to the UVs. That shouldn't happen.
  • AlecMoody
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This looks fantastic. About to bake a relatively complex hard surface model, can't wait to try it out.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    1d0L0.png
    getting that. However if I enable compatibility lets say with Windows XP SP3 it works fine.

edit: I have win7 x64
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    gheromo:
    I actually get that error too. Up to this point I have been the only one so it wasn't a priority. I will add this to the list. one thing that is strange about this error is that if you reboot and try again it will usually work. I think it is some sort of memory management windows 7 uses. What do your system specs look like?
This discussion has been closed.