Home Technical Talk

Normal map symmetry

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my normal maps on symmetrical objects. My uVs shared UV space, and then i read to move them by one unit, and it still doesn't seem to work. I end up with this really ugly shading. Any help would be great, Thanks :)
Va4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=http://tinypic.com/r/6yff5e/6

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lil_bob wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my normal maps on symmetrical objects. My uVs shared UV space, and then i read to move them by one unit, and it still doesn't seem to work. I end up with this really ugly shading. Any help would be great, Thanks :)
    Va4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=6
    6yff5e.jpg

Need more information.

What app is it baked in?
    How/What app is it being displayed in?
    - You may need to invert your green channel depending on the two above^
    Are you sure its applied as the correct material type? (IE: in max you need to add "normal bump" to your bump map slot)
    Did you move the uvs and then rebake? (You will need to do this).
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shifting the overlapped UVs 1 unit over is the first thing that comes to mind.

*EDIT

Hurk, I didn't even read the post, I saw the picture and thought that was it. ma bad.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lil_bob wrote: »
    and then i read to move them by one unit
    Hang10 wrote: »
    Shifting the overlapped UVs 1 unit over is the first thing that comes to mind.

:poly142:
  • Lil_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was baked in max, Its displayed in max with a default render. I moved the UVs, and then baked, still didnt work. It does have the normal bump, and then the bitmap. I turned off gamma/Lut, i read somewhere that helps, and it did, a lot. Theres still a small texture seam being caused by shading, but i can deal with it. unless you have any tricks off hand. Thank you!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Make your model and unwrap half of it.
    HowToUnwrapSymmetrically_1.jpg
    Afer that, throw on a symmetry modifier.
    HowToUnwrapSymmetrically_2.jpg
    After you do those steps, keep it as a whole mesh. If you need to export it or make a high poly, keep it a whole mesh.
    The main point there is to keep the surface continuing rather than having an open edge. The normals of the polygons bias to the whole side of the open edge, which messes up calculating correct normals.

Although this is in 3dsMax, it can be done in Maya as well.