Home Technical Talk

re bamboo tablets

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
about to purchase a bamboo pen and touch as I used it in a studio I was working at and quite enjoyed it - just to check the pen and touch is the best one right? aree they a standard size as it does n't really mention much about sizes?
intuous has been a bit disappointing overall the pressure sensitivity never seems to work properly with z brush.
prefer the intuous pen though:/

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intuous are generally higher end than Bamboo. The Bamboo tablets are the bargain line, if I remember correctly.

I believe it's Bamboo < Intuous < Cintiq.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I believe it's Bamboo < Intuous < Cintiq.

Oh no, it's intuos>bamboo>cintiq. Don't let the marketing tell you otherwise... Got plenty of xp to tell it's completely true.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I had an Intuos 4 for a while and I can say I liked the feel of it better, the ergonomics of it and the solidness of it. I use a bamboo now and it works just fine for me. The one I have is a similar size to what my Intuos was (about 5.5x8.5).

Either way I think if you put time any option it will work fine. My experience with 'Cintiq' types was on a cheap chinese knockoff, which I don't use anymore as a tablet or like for a number of reasons. When you have your hand over the screen, you're blocking part of the screen. Doing tasks like navigating menus can be annoying. They can also be very uncomfortable on the wrist depending on the angle you're working at.

So that's just things that I don't like about that type of tablet, but I didn't specifically use a Cintiq so I can't say. They're also super expensive, like incredibly expensive for what they are, so I find them a bit unattractive in that sense.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    doh i realise of course that intuos are 'meant' to be better, but the bamboo I used was just as good if not better, so go figure. the pen is a bit flimsy though

it's odd that the best tablet I had my was old wacom graphire, pressure sensitivity worked great with zbrush.

perna , yeah I just finished a full commerical project with the bamboo, and it was great, better than my intuos 2
    it was the bamboo pen and touch I believe.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Oh no, it's intuos>bamboo>cintiq. Don't let the marketing tell you otherwise... Got plenty of xp to tell it's completely true.

and my experience tells me the exact opposite to that.

i had a bamboo, and hated it. i have a cintiq, and honestly could not live without it. so seeing that the cintiq's run on intuos tech, i can only imagine they're very nice.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I just switched over from a Bamboo to a Intous5 M, and I got to say the difference is night and day.

I difference in my digital sculpting is so plainly obvious how much I was being held back by just having a crappy tablet.

I still keep my bamboo though for my laptop, its good for digital drawing sure enough.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the tech... everything before tech 4 is ok to good, after that is a safety hazard...
    Cintiq 24hd hoo my love of the sparks and smelly fumes !
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i have a 22hd, and it's done nothing but be awesome thus far.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Intuos has tilt control, Bamboo doesn't.
    Oh and if the pressure sensitivity blows it is most likely the stylus since thats where the sensor is, I have two and one feels like a soft chalky delicious pen and the other one feels like it was crafted by Isle Koch, even on the same tablet.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well if i need tilt I can always lean to one side:/

had my intos 3 years , never been that fond of it( changed the stylus loads of times) the bamboo seemed to have a good feel to it. tech aside, it't what you feel good with.
    From my point of vierw its either buy an untuos 4 for probably 300 quid or more or a bamboo which is around 60. makes more sense to buy the bamboo really as far as zbrush goes there seems to be not much difference.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Agreed with the Intuous crowd. I have a Bamboo and hate it. It is non-responsive and you can't even calibrate the work area like a Cintiq. I've never used an Intuous before, but I suggest buying one of those over a Bamboo.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

I've had a 21ux for 5 years now - it's great, especially for concept/illustration because you can draw with your arm, not the wrist and have more line confidence (none of that draw, erase, draw, erase, repeat)

for texture painting and sculpting I don't think a Cintiq makes as big of a difference.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    silentbrains - yeah I thnk it's worth buying 1 as I didn't notice any difference between my existing intuos 2 and the bamboo, in fact the bamboo was slightly more responsive.
    BTW I was joking about the tilt I know what its for :) I don't think you need tilt for zbrushing, but I rarely look in to customizing my brushes and tend to be an out of the box kind of person.
    I know at least 1 professional concept artist who still uses a graphire and actually prefers it

I would love to try a cintiq though, can't really afford that right now
  • Hoodz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an Intuos and a friend has a Bamboo and I prefer the Intuos over the Bamboo as it just seems to handle better, but then again this is my opinion

Just pick whatever your used too!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Bamboo are great value for money. It's just a shame we can't use our Intuos pens on them, because that's where the cheaper product line falls short IMO (feels very flimsy)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I did go with the intous 5.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    You may want to change your wacom tablets setting from Standard mode to Recognition data mode. This maximizes the data rate of the tablet and may solve your pressure issues in zbrush, photoshop etc..

datarate.jpg
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    It's funny we're bringing up the pen feeling flimsy, which I agree with, but the reason I sold my intuos and got a bamboo was because my intuos pen exploded into its various plastic pieces and getting a new pen (just the pen) was like $100... so I got an entirely new tablet and sold the tablet part of my intuos to compensate.

I never really used the tilt, both because it doesn't do anything for most programs and also because drawing with a pen is not like drawing with traditional media, you don't feel the physical responsiveness of shifting the angle and it's too detached from real media to feel natural in my opinion. Also I don't really know anyone who uses the tilt in their work method. It's not like it's the reason people create good work is what I mean to say.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

We'll talk in about a year (I honestly hope not) but after 3 aftersale returns for my home 24d and about 12 other 24hd at work going once there too I'm confidently saying anything 24hd and later is shitty at best...
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    You can put someone using a madly-expensive Cintiq next to someone with a cheap Bamboo and they're typically going to be drawing the same exact metal scratches and doing the same sculpting work. Just, one guy will have his hand covering a large part of the screen ;)

Quoted for agreement the cintiq can help you but some don't like it. After a year with 24hds I still like to use my intuos.
    Cintiqs are cool for the immediate feedback the problem is: you have to use them flat (otherwise it's a risk for your wrist/elbow) and by laying them flat you have to be "over" them (otherwise you get the screen+protection offset from the cursor) and that makes it a risk for your back.

To be honest looking right in front of you and having your tablet flat makes much more sense for humans (even if the eye/arm coordination takes a while)

That and the quality in the latest wacom products is terrible.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    JohnnyRaptor - yeah I have pretty much tried all the things that you are supposed to with the intuos and its still glitchy.I have it on recognition data by defualt. you can be working away and realise the feel is just not right sometimes. its quite a subtle thing and I am sick of havng to click outside the application every time I save a subtool.

Heres the thing , back in zbrush 2.5 I could have z intensity on 17 ( default 25) and it worked great but these days I have it on about 7 or 8 AND have my wacom tablet tip settings on maximum firmness but still it's not quite right.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, having both an intuos 1 and cintiq 12wx (and having tried a larger cintiq) I really get the impression that working with either is using a different part of the brain or something. I use one or the other depending on what I'm doing. (granted, I'm not doing much, but still I find that each is better at something than the other. I've been using tablet drawing devices since maybe 1997 and I still find that it's feels that way to me.)

I agree you don't work the same way depending on the device, you don't look at your blank space or sculpt the same way.
    But on a general note I still prefer an intuos over cintiq for ergonomical reasons, it may not be best for creativity though, you don't feel "as connected" with your work, the distance between the monitor and your hand is probably the psychological barrier.
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Hello all,
    I was curious about Bamboo performance, but which kind of Bamboo are you speaking of? Because here I can see 4 type: http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/bamboo
    I have an Intuos4M, but I'd like a small one for travel, which one do you suggest?
    I see the Bamboos have a USB micro for tablet: does that mean it works with iPad/Android tablet? Have someone of you tried it?
    Thanks in advance.