Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dust514 gun(s) - Fanart

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
joeriv polycounter lvl 7
Decided to have a go at a gun and post it quite early since I'm probably gonna make some big mistakes, and I'd rather know about them now then after it's finished, in case anyone is willing to point out my mistakes).

Concept is from Dust514 (wich has some awesome concepts)
http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/DUST-514-Massdriver.jpg

Gotta clean up the HP here and there.
LP is sitting at 9,700 triangles with all the parts mirrored over the other side that need to be. (and the top part missing).

Critique is more then welcome since I really want this to turn out well.

3 first pictures are the hp.
gun1joeriv.png

gun2joeriv.png

gun3joeriv.png

gunlpjoeriv.png

Replies

• Fango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice model, that concept is bat shit insane, but in a good way!

Cant wait to see this textured.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The design looks cool. I'm curious how you're supposed to aim with that Eotech looking frame.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments :)

And looking at the concept this was my explanation:
    Either you look high enough to look trough the screen that pops up like a grenade launcher in our current time. (the weapon actually sits quite a bit lower on the screen then in my render.

Or the image from that actually gets projected back inside the little scope thing on the back (by the little thing that is connected with the blue cable).
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, amazing. Can you post your high poly wires at say, level 1?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow thats incredible. I have just started my first real complex sub-d model and this is inspirational. How long did it take to get the high poly done?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    +- 3 day full days if you count everything together.

But keep in mind that the gun actually just exists out of fairly simple shapes (mostly beveled boxes).
    It was a lot easier then having an object with a lot of curves.
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the problem with my concept is that it is a fairly curvy gun, with some insets and odd angles, which makes it kinda hard to model with polygons, but if I actually break it up, it turns out it is almost all boxes :P

Anyway, I can't wait to see this monster textured :)
  • wright.tom85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, now I feel inadequate. XD This looks great. The only thing I can think to critique is by looking at the small button above the trigger, the way you've got it built directly into the mesh? It implies that you prefer to make your weapons as one big shell with no floating geometry. Keep in mind that unless a game engine has an explicit problem with floating or intersecting polygons, it's perfectly acceptable to have floating geometry - especially when patching it together into one piece will increase the geometry count.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    good lord that is a terrible design

the model is well executed from what i can see, though it could use some wider edges to help some of the shapes stand out.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Didn't realize that, kind of assumed it was better to keep it as one part, since it's one part in the HP (kind of thought it might give some sort of uglyness at the edge where it connects.
    You just saved me some tri's, thanks

@racer
    Now you make me feel bad for making it :p
    No but seriously, thanks, I'll have another look at the edges.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    that... looks... incredible

.......and insanely heavy
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    you just got me hard...
  • Goten-trunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i like ur high detail model :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you all for your comments :)

Wanted to get quick test bake done (altough I wish I had turned on Aa and supersampling :p) since I won't have anymore time for it the coming days.
    So normals only, and still some fun errors to fix :D

ie2mw7.png
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    the model looks nice!You really spot on the details!

come on, texture it! will be super awesome!!
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    Really stunning. There's an incredible amount of details, yet it doesn't look overdesigned.

Loving it. I wish I could give some criticism, but honestly, I'm having a hard time finding something. The bake looks sick too, hahaha.
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Wow that looks awesome.

Any chance you could share how you're displaying your model? Materials? Viewport settings? I really love how much detail it brings out.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    That's a lot of firepower! Very nice and clean detailing indeed.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you all for your comments again, didn't really expect this much reaction/positive feedback, so I am a bit stumped :p

And yes texture is gonna happen, just not in the coming week unfortunatly.

@Pioldes, just to avoid any confusion, the gun was modelled from the concept art I linked in the opening post, I didn't design it.

@BobtheGreatll

This is me when it comes to presentation:
    http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/I_a735dd_2270945.jpg
    (it's a horrible weak point of me, honestly)

But to be somewhat helpfull, the material is something I picked up here on polycount, if you go to the wiki you should be able to find it.
    or google "artem volchik rendering material"
    That should be a good start(and what I am using as a startpoint for now untill I get better at it), and then later on render out a AO pass. (I prefer to do it seperate).
    (just a basic mental ray render, nothing special really).

Outside of that, I just try to get a 3 point light setup in there.

For the bake, I just played around a bit with the settings in xoliulshader, since there is no ao or spec in there I just wanted it not to be to "washed out".

And have a look at leslievdb'/ravenslayer his grabviewportscript wich allows you to take viewport screenshots at a chosen size + some other goody's.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Managed to get in some quick work.
    Don't pay to much attention to it, still rough, and issues.
    But wanted to get some quick texturing in since I wanted to see if I could get the brownish base metal looking the way I wanted to.

So I thought I might as well see if I could get some feedback on it for when I can proceed with it.

captureemy.png