Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Lone Druid - Northern Ranger

Literally found out about this contest yesterday after finally getting beta access, which is not good considering I've never used something like ZBrush before, but I'll give it a shot. I'm not overly familiar with the characters yet, so if this theme isn't fitting please let me know.

Initially I was thinking along the lines of fur rimmed shoulder and body items with maybe a slightly dwarven themed throwing axe/sickle hybrid. I'd like to make items for his head and arms too but I'm not sure I'll have enough time. I'll try and scribble something down tomorrow and then focus on the most popular (or easiest) stuff first.

My main issues are:

1) Is Sylla the type of character to incorporate small bits of metal into his armor (e.g. nails/bolts and buckles) or is he strictly nature oriented?

2) Would a hood mess with readability too much?

EDIT: Here are some "my tablet broke so I had to use a mouse" images. The shoulder and arm guards are a mix of wood reinforced with bone and saber tooth teeth. The pattern on the jacket is meant to be ripples of water at the shoulders going into a waterfall and a fish skeleton, based on the idea that salmon might appeal to his true form. Not really sure what to do with his left arm as I like the default one but don't want to copy it. Hopefully this will be doable within the limit.

i8oqc.png

And this is the kind of weapon shape I was thinking of, mixing the default one with a Nordic style axe.

kO3a2.png

Replies

• Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) he can have metal bits, a sickle is already in the game for him.
    2) A hood would not. His readability encompasses his entire body, so you're quite safe on changing something as simple as adding a hood
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for clearing that up.
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post but here's the LOD1 stuff I have so far. Had to change quite a bit from the concept once I realised how many tris it was going to take. I've ditched the wood and focussed on the bone + fur combination instead. The shoulder and back items are bang on 400 tris and 300 tris, with the right arm on 325ish and another 325 to work with for the left arm. I'm not entirely sure the weapon will work now as the other items have a more "caveman" feel to them, so if I get time to spare I might have a go at making a "Sabear Tooth Beast" summon or a more claw-like sickle instead.

PFWWL.png

EDIT (Nov 15th): Due to recent events I probably won't have enough time to finish this, but I'll keep at it and put it on the workshop at a later date if I can't. May as well post this high poly stuff seeing as it's done.

ZekqK.png

EDIT (Nov 26th): Textures so far.

NDi51.png

EDIT (Nov 30th): Yay for deadline extensions! I decided to go ahead and make the claw sickle idea with a bone handle to keep with the theme.

lEyyD.png

EDIT (Dec 6th): Forgot to post a link to the Steam Workshop page so here you go. I decided to call it the Ancient Wanderer rather than Northern Ranger as it kinda lost the original dwarf concept and didn't make as much sense.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111488662