Home Unreal Engine

Useful UDK HLSL Trick

dralex789
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
Hey folks,

I found a really neat trick when working with custom HLSL nodes in the UDK material editor and wanted to share.

As of right now, to pull in a texture as an input (assuming you want to mess with the texture itself, not just a float3 or float 4 value) you need to use a custom texture node.

HOWEVER

If you want to pull in a a different type of texture, for example a texCUBE or something like that, you can't since you can't plug those into a custom texture node.

Solution:

Create a normal texture sample like you are using a cube map in a normal material, multiply it by zero, then add it to your results of your custom node before moving on in your chain.

Now that texture is part of the pixel shader, and if you go and look at the source, you can get the name of the texture.

After you have the name, you can go back and call that texture sample manually in the HLSL just like if you had plugged it in as a custom texture.

Hope that helps folks. I'm currently working on some custom lighting models and figuring that out was a must.

Sorry no pics. Will add them later.

Alex

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So wait, you mean in theory is should be possible with this method of call back (in this case) a Cubemap and drop down the LOD's?
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are absolutely right. This is exactly what I did with it using the texCUBEbias HLSL command. Unfortunately by default as your mip down your cube maps, the seams become TERRIBLE. In normal production this is fixed by simply creating your mip levels into a DDS using ATI's tools which mip down keeping seems in mind.

I am looking into way to import file formats into the UDK that allow for custom mips. Haven't found much but I have no looked hard either.

The alternative option is to use a static image for reflections but that would create other problems with the image not being accurate. You would need to implement this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_cylindrical_equal-area_projection

in order to form more accurate reflections.
    More to come if I find more....
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do mind posting a screenshot in your spare time of the setup and what seams you're referring to?

If it's possible to set it up the way I think you're saying, then you could use a simple Luminance mask, to sample the colors from the un-LOD'ed feed of the Cube and feed the colors from there, to your LOD'ed Cube.

I would like to test this idea out, it would be so awesome!
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Do mind posting a screenshot in your spare time of the setup and what seams you're referring to?

If it's possible to set it up the way I think you're saying, then you could use a simple Luminance mask, to sample the colors from the un-LOD'ed feed of the Cube and feed the colors from there, to your LOD'ed Cube.

I would like to test this idea out, it would be so awesome!

It would be possible to do that. What did you have in mind with using a rough Luminance value of cube map?

Also for those who wish to see.

jBHtj.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the image.

I was hoping to drop LOD's so that only the seams would appear and from there, isolate them via Lum or pad them (with a simple offset in 4 directions) with the colors of the original Cube (maybe even use Mip 1 or 2 since doesn't break too badly), and with the help of a slightly noisy Normal Map (something really small) hide any color break.

But running some tests, UE really screws up the Mips (I'm getting some horrible blotching all over the place. Even at Mip 3 or 4, it looks like Unreal is using 2 different Mips on the same model, especially around UV seams).

I also tried going to each texture and the CubemapTex items, and setting all of their Mip options to Blur 5, nothing changed. Even enabling, disabling SRGB doesn't seem to work, I'm guessing these are broken in the latest version of UDK?

So I'm unable to simply isolate or pad anything.

Also, about your quote in another thread:
    dralex789 wrote: »
    How do you re-import them with their own pre made mips? I though the UDK could only handle texture formats that couldn't carry mips. It doesn't like DDS files to my knowledge.

I think UDK should import TGA with MIP's or create them as 'new' textures one imported, using ATiCubeGen, although I'm not sure if the extra time spent on that would be worth it.

Also, seems like Epic has their own implementation of LOD's for the Real-Time reflection Cubemap, it has a small Mip button on the CaptureActor item, but it's causing the same issues for me (EI: seams once you drop it too far), sad news is, the Material method doesn't work for RT reflections.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it really is a shame. Lots of potential to be had. I think the benefits of using even some lower LODs are better than just having SUPER sharp reflections but who knows.

I may check out other solutions in the coming weeks but for now Ill just deal with it. The only other idea is super expensive, and requires lerping between different versions of the same cube map with weighting. Ill investigate and if I see anything cool, Ill post it here

Alex
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, a shame indeed, it would have been awesome to have this option right off the bat!

The closest thing to using this effect (in the case of Metal) I found was simply sticking in a detail Normal with Spec/Diffuse information in it, just strong enough to break up the seams, and with enough information to seems like it's following the others maps in the Normal Map. Good way to fake it.

My Diffuse and Spec terms aren't using the detail Normal in this case, standard Normals of the model I might need from a direct bake instead.

It's a good way to fake a rough effect, especially at around Mip 7 or 8, where you mainly have color information only, especially for Skin, but it will require alot of re-learning from the artist to setup the correct information in all the Maps, and when to use details, etc.

Hope you come up with an awesome solution! So close, yet so far!
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMetaMorphe polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry for posting on this ooold thread :) !

The seam issue can be fixed by using dx 11 in udk.

Most dx 11 hardware blur mip maps.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for posting on this ooold thread :) !

The seam issue can be fixed by using dx 11 in udk.

Most dx 11 hardware blur mip maps.

No worries man. That shot was taken using dx11 UDK. Was there something specific you have to do? I tried all the built in mipping options but none of them removed the seam as I traveled down the mip chain. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Alex
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the last UDK release ( November 2012 ).

What I do :

I capture my cubemap in Dx 9 ( it still buggy dx 11 ).

I go on each face texture of the cubemap and change NoMipmaps to FromTextureGroup. Do it on all faces !

I go on the cubemap texture and check if FromTextureGroup is used.

Cubemap_01.jpg

In the material I use the setup you posted above but I changed texCUBEbias to texCUBElod.

Some examples :

Cubemap_02a.jpg

Cubemap_02b.jpg

Hope that will help you !

Tell me if it's working.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    xqefEH.jpg

Exactly!

I will test it out tonight when I get home! Thanks so much if this is really the fix. I think what may have been the problem is the cube map I was using was not my own. It was one thats been around since unreal 3 so it may not have correctly blurred mips. I will make my own one, and update my version (I am a couple behind) just to be sure!

Alex
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    another idea that came to my mind is your texture tiling set to reoeat? you might want to test clamp or mirror.
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's strange because the cubemap form UE3 ( the one on your screen ) works fine on my side.

Neox : Yeah agree but this not affecting the mip at all ( in my test ). UDK set it to wrap for some reason ;s by default. Maybe that could help.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh Well then it just must be my settings/version. I will triple check it all tonight. Or it could be that slight alteration in the HLSL but I dont think thats it. Either way I am excited!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried it, and it works wonderfully, although I'm on DX9 hardware, so I'm not getting that nice 'clean' blur in the pictures, but at least now, it doesn't look like a cracked diamond and hiding the square effect of the blur is much easier with a less noisy normal map.

This is on July version of 2012 by the way.

Cheers!
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know :) !
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Well that worked a bloody treat (on an Unreal 3 build)! Thanks for that!
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man the MetaMorphe was dead on. Ends up I had all the right settings on my textures already, it was just that one HLSL command that was doing me in. texCUBElod all the way baby.

Now that I was able to correctly judge the blurring, some of you guys may find that the first mips look almost identical. If you guys are looking to offset a roughness input so that the mips change texture fidelity correctly as you change the value (vs 30% of your roughness not actually affecting the blurriness of your cube maps) should check out what I did. Some simple fraction stuff but I created an offset value on a scale so that you can tell the mips that will be read where to start and where to finish, but still scale correctly between the two.

YYzCaj9.jpg
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I would post what I am working on with all this. Energy Conserving Image based lighting with a cook torrance model.

Shots are a comparison of the default phong and my shader with approximate material matching. The shader supports cube map based ambient diffuse and specularity as well as regular lights. No metallic spec just yet. Also has full roughness support with appropriately blurring environment maps.

Unfortunately it does not like UDK lightmaps at all. Probably only good for showing off models or characters.

The far left shot is without any lights, just getting lit from the environment

hHxOsrK.jpg
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would use a simple approach. Basically all you have to do is : ( 1 - glossiness ) * numofmipmaps. In my case it's 7.

My setup : Cubemap_03.jpg

If your are using phong or blinn you might want to multiply your glossiness by 128 in order to get a range of 0 - 1 to avoid value like 180 or 200.

But with a cook torrance or a spherical gaussian approx no need to multiply by 128.

Good node for doing IBL ( Valve approach ) and no need to blur the cube :

Cubemap_03b.jpg

And yeah UDK ( UE3 ) don't support lightmaps with custom lighting. To avoid that what you can do is go back to the 2011 02 version and change the shader code in Common.usf.

check the function to change your spec model :

half3 PointLightPhong(half3 DiffuseColor,half DiffusePower,half3 TransmissionMask,half3 SpecularColor,half SpecularPower, half3 L, float3 E, half3 N, float3 R)
    {
    What ever you want !
    }

This will work perfectly :

half3 PointLightPhong(half3 DiffuseColor,half DiffusePower,half3 TransmissionMask,half3 SpecularColor,half SpecularPower, half3 L, float3 E, half3 N, float3 R)
    {

half gamma = dot( E - N * dot( E, N ), L - N * dot( L, N ) );

half rough_sq= DiffusePower;

rough_sq *= rough_sq;

half A = 1.0f - 0.5f * (rough_sq / (rough_sq + 0.57f));

half B = 0.45f * (rough_sq / (rough_sq + 0.09));

half alpha = max( acos( dot( E, N ) ), acos( dot( L, N ) ) );
    half beta = min( acos( dot( E, N ) ), acos( dot( L, N ) ) );

half C = sin(alpha) * tan(beta);

half3 OrenNayar = (A + B * max( 0.0f, gamma ) * C);

half DiffuseLighting = saturate(dot(N, L))*OrenNayar;

#ifndef DISABLE_DYNAMIC_SPECULAR

half3 H = normalize( L + E );
    half NdotL = saturate( dot( N, L ) );
    half NdotH = saturate( dot( N, H ) );
    half NdotV = saturate( dot( N, E ) );
    half VdotH = saturate( dot( E, H ) );

half3 fRange = half3( 1, 2, 3);
    half Fresnel = 1-saturate( NdotV );
    Fresnel *= Fresnel;

float FresnelRange, f = Fresnel;
    if ( f > 0.5f )
    FresnelRange = lerp( fRange.y, fRange.z, (2*f)-1 );
    else
    FresnelRange = lerp( fRange.x, fRange.y, 2*f );

half Dot = saturate( dot( N, H ) ); // 2 allu
    half Threshold = 0.04; // 1 allu
    half CosAngle = pow( Threshold, 1 / SpecularPower ); // 2 allu
    half NormAngle = ( Dot - 1 ) / ( CosAngle - 1 ); // 3 allu
    half D = exp( -NormAngle * NormAngle ); // 2 allu
    D *= FresnelRange;

half SpecularLighting = NdotL * D;

//half SpecularLighting = PhongShadingPow(saturate(dot(N, H)), SpecularPower);

#else

half SpecularLighting = 0.0f;

#endif

// Only apply transmission to diffuse, not specular

return DiffuseColor * lerp(DiffuseLighting, TransmissionMask, TransmissionMask) + SpecularLighting * SpecularColor;

}

( Cook torrance and Oren nayar taken from D3DBOOKS )

Glad to see it's now working for everyone !
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    To avoid that what you can do is go back to the 2011 02 version and change the shader code in Common.usf.

I was wondering how far back you'd have to go to access those. I don't get why they removed access to them from UDK :(
  • TheMetaMorphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I looked up March 2011. That's when they added Dx11 support. They probably decided they didn't want people to see the insides of the Dx11 shaders.