Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Killzone Floodlight

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone,

Having recently finished my Sci-Fi Server Room environment, I wanted to create a hero piece type prop that I could really go to town on before moving onto a new environment. After some searching around the web I finally settled for this awesome concept of a floodlight from Killzone 3:

image_1338558882.jpg

I'm currently on blocking out the model and getting the proportions correct before I start to sub divide everything. I feel like I'm about 90% there with the blockout so I figured now would be a good time to get some feedback.

Goals of the project:

- Improve at asset creation and texture work in general (Unfortunately Eutechnyx is a very outsource heavy studio so I don’t get to work on assets as much as I’d like)

- Improve on my high poly modelling (I plan to really push the detail with this asset)

As always feedback and crit is welcome and thank you for your time

Current Progress:

brjzYbB.jpg

V2jK1.jpg

Floodlight-0003.jpg

Replies

• Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome! The only nitpick I would say is the feet are looking a little different from the concept. It almost feels like there is a square base in the concept, allowing the sides of the feet to face forward and back.

Keep going! Can't wait to see more.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shanthosa Thanks mate, yeah your probably right about the base, I must admit I started it as a square but it didn't feel right and things in the concept suggest that the perspective isn't quite right, so I used my artistic licence, I may end up changing it though, depending on what other people think

Here's my current progress, about to start finishing up the high poly model:

V2jK1.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So slick! I respect and appreciate your artistic license.

What are your plans for this going forward? Are you going to make a game-res version?
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shanthosa Cheers mate, yeah totally, I still have a few minor tweaks to do to the high poly and I also plan on constructing the wires in a straight line to make the baking process easier, then I'll be doing a game res model
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    lookin good! I would advise you to clump the wires together more. That way it'll be easier and more efficient when you LP and bake it.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Rooster, I am curious how you will approach all those wires. Do you plan to explode this thing into a million pieces to bake?
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry guys, I should have probably explained this better before, at the moment the wires on the high poly model are purely for show. I will be recreating one or two high poly wires in a straight line so that I can create tileable wire textures. Similar to this approach by Simon Fuchs:

pipes_highpoly.jpg

From there I will simply replace the wires in low poly form using the already created high polys one as a guide
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The concept is indeed orthographic so take care with that.

On the other hand, how do you plan on baking out stuff?

I did this exact model not too long ago, and not even a 2K texture map was enough, I had to cut out sooo much stuff, that it stopped looking like the original thing, especially since you have scale up the smaller pieces to make all those bolts, holes, etc appear.

I had to use one cable, with enough polies that I could later on duplicate it, and morph it around as I saw fit.
    Symmetry as many pieces as you can.
    Try to throw in a few support loops on the bigger pieces so you can instance them too (while the other half of it clipping inside the mesh).
    Vertex colors are you friends if you plan on adding some different colors to the cables.

Don't be surprised if you have to push 2 textures at one point to keep all the information. Especially with tiling involved on the cables.

EDIT: Ninja'd, seems like you know what you're doing :D
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ace-Angel Thanks mate, appreciate the heads up. I've got most of my workflow planned in my head so we'll see how it works out in practice lol.

I haven't played Killzone 3 and I'm not too sure what role it plays in the game but I want to treat the asset as if its usable by the player and I will aim to have pretty similar specs to a vehicle or weapon in a typical PC shooter, i.e roughly 6k - 10k Tri's and 1x 2048 x 2048, possibly 1 or 2 additional 1024 x 1024 textures if I feel like I'm struggling to keep the resolution up.

I plan to flip, mirror and reuse as much of the texture space as possible so hopeful a 2048 texture will be adequate
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhhh that makes a lot more sense. Very cool technique. Can't wait to see more!
  • ikarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikarus polycounter lvl 10
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its been a while but I've finally got my low poly model unwrapped and baked. There's still a few AO errors to fix and the wires are still the high poly versions.

I've been sent my DDO licence for being one of the earlier testers so I'm going to be using it on this model, can't wait

I'll also be putting the model in CryEngine shortly

As always feedback is welcome

VGu0S.jpg

Also here is my normal map and the diffuse (currently just a cavity map and occ map combined), Not that the spare space is left for the wires

0sWDY.jpg

udp7u.jpg
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man! Really like this asset! I'm currently working at Guerrilla and you've done this model justice ;)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    holy sheet texture
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice stuff, i'm also working on a Guerrilla concept atm! (the turret one haha), you've done a very good job on this one!

Could you show the normal map without the UV Snapshot screened on top? Cheers!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chris1988green Cheers mate, it means a lot coming from a Guerrilla employee. Last thing I want to do is screw up such brilliant art.

@Sugus Thanks mate, here you go, just for you:

isQGn.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    looking great. it couldve helped to loosen up some of your edges in the high poly.. currently a lot of your 90 degree angles are aliasing, which at this distance really shouldnt happen. for a 2k map your edges are given 1-2 pixels, so those are pretty much gone if you downres it.
  • TheMajor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    Looking awesome dude!

I've seen this in the flesh and can attest to it's quality.

My comment would be less technical at this stage and more aesthetic, I have mentioned this already but I think you could maybe get a little more character from the asset if your were to rotate and pitch the lamp a little! Just a little thing but I think as a piece of art it would be a tad more interesting once it's textured and in am engine! Make it seem a little more functional, and I know your not an animator! Lolz

Not sure what you or any others really think , maybe I'm just being romantic haha.

Can't wait to see the ddo work though!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oniram Thanks mate, yeah your totally right about the hard edges. A bit of a mistake of my part, I'll defiantly improve this.

@TheMajor Thanks Tom. Your probably right about the pose, I might play with this abit
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Nice bake, you've nailed it mate. Can´t wait to see how you tackle the diffuse for this!
    Huge fan of your stuff! :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sugus Thanks mate

So over the last few days I've been working on getting my asset into CryEngine and fixing any normal map and ambient occlusion issues. Here's the latest updates. I've included a character because I think quite a few people were thinking its a small asset.

I'm at the point now where I'm fairly happy to start texturing this up.

Also the awesome guys at Quixel have asked me to do a DDO tutorial or a feature based on this asset so is there anything you guys would like me to cover?

s9rDk.jpg

cBzxD.jpg

v4nA8.jpg

Below I've also generated a colour map, this will used in DDO to define all the different material definations:

0XkUu.jpg

2uRFR.jpg
  • TheMajor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great mate, Finished wiring and cables seem to stand up!

Was the colour map a render to texture based on what you saw in the concept or have you made many changes to hoe the materials are distributed?

Colour map really reminds me of the VW Polo harlequin :D
    http://majorgav.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/vw-polo-harlequin.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome job :)
    Looking forward to see what you can do with dDo :)

Did you render the color map from the highpoly?
    If not I would recommend doing that, at least splitting the screws into it's own material group.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheMajor W00t VW Polo harlequin :D, cheers mate. Yeah I stuck with the concept for the colour map, I can still change the colours anytime though.

Stromberg90 Thanks mate I'm glad your liking it. Well spotted about the screws, yeah I did render the colour map from the high poly, however I kept them the same colour because I was thinking of doing it as if its been constructed and then painted so that the paint would go over the screws. I might change my mind though if it doesn't look right.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the asset overall. Excited to see the dDo info too.

The UV map job seems like an automatic job though, It's really nonsense. I would spend time redoing the UVs. Tops of cylinders don't need to be curved. You can unwrap them like a cut cylinder tube. They might slightly stretch, but it's easier if you have to go in and hand edit the texture. Also you have pieces L shaped that are at like a 32 degree angle. Those should be kept to 90 degrees where possible. It's much easier in Photoshop to just hold shift to get a straight line on those pieces. It also seems like once you fix those issues you can cut down on all the wasted space you have.

That all said you're talking about doing a write up using dDo. So I don't think all that will matter much. Beginners that might look at it as a quality or style bar might pick up on the quick UV map job and think that should be what they should all do. UV nitpicks aside I'm anxious to see the dDo texture work.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    This is looking so nice Grimmstrom. Plus, I just learnt something new from this thread; about how to create the colour map, somehow it never occurred to me to do it this way.

Can't wait to see it textured!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jeff Parrot Thanks mate, I've been a big fan of your work for years so it means a lot that you like my asset. Thank you for the advice too. Your completely right and I'm currently on repacking my UV's. I started using TexTools after unwrapping was taking way too much time. I guess I got carried away :D. As for the tops of cylinders, I should be already doing that so would you be able to reiterate in case I'm missing something obvious?

@MrNinjutsu Thanks mate, I'm glad you've learnt something from me. One day I want to get into teaching so these are my first steps.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Neil! Thanks man. Really looking forward to your dDo tutorial. I'm really trying to get a good handle on it asap.

Well what I meant was this:

Grimmstrom_UV_tip_001.jpg

Most of your UV seem to be like the upper half cylinder. At least I see a lot of those in there (I might be wrong, if I am sorry for this tangent). Where as if you warp them slightly like the bottom one you can pack them in a lot tighter and reduce wasted space.

Again I'm nitpicking. This is otherwise killer. I'm really anxious to see this finished up. So hurry up! :D
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is nice about stretching your uvs a little like jeff pointed out is that you can use directional detail mapping (might not be as important here with a metal surface) - but if you have, say a wood-grain going vertical, it will always look better if your UVs are flatend like in the lower example.
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awesome again Grimm, cant wait to see this finished!
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry its been a while, life has been pretty hectic at the moment but I've finally got round to taking @Jeff Parrot's advice re-pack my UV's. I was a little hesitant at first as I'm a sucker for distorting my UV's (Maybe a little OCD :) lol) and I was worried that it wouldn't make much difference for the time I would have to invest but ultimately it was the right decision and I'm much happier with the results so I need to thank @Jeff Parrot & @e-freak for putting the pressure on me :)

Anyway like I said, I've re-unwrapped my asset and I'm much happier now, I saved about 20% extra space so I've essentially got more texture res

XhjyI.jpg

Also hope you guys don't mind me posting these as there quite basic but I've got all 5 maps rendered out that I'll be using for DDO and I figured it would be worth posting for people getting started with DDO. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

axBXV.jpg

Ca7xf.jpg

EWg05.jpg

byE3A.jpg

3RkyD.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    I love you <3 this is some gooooooood sHhhh
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PhoenixWolf - Thanks mate

Sorry that it's been a while since there's been an update, my partner has been in hospital several times over the last few weeks so work on this project has been quite slow. I assure you that I'm still plodding along with it though and I'm also currently about half way through writing some tutorials / documentation in colab with the guys over at Quixel.

Anyway I'm still not 100% stuck on a colour scheme for the project and I think that's one of the things that's holding me back so tonight I've gone back to basics and put together a few quick test schemes, hopefully you guys can help me choose one or give me some ideas for a scheme that isn't represented in the image below:

Despite all the schemes been solid colour, I was planning on incorporating camo style patterns on select areas of the model

Anyway let me know what you think.

ylJP4ih.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    2/3 same position, 7 and 4!

Love the model, very clean :)
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tigg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure about camouflage, thematically. It's a floodlight, you know? Not exactly hidden or anything.
    I'd go for 4 or 7. Muted, industrial surfaces, but not completely without interest.
    I think you can get the same variation in surfaces that you would get from incorporating camouflage by including different surface materials (ie metal, plastic, painted metal etc.)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i like either 2 or 7
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    2 3 4

Also if you wanted you could remove the waviness in your normal map in a few seconds like this:
    XSOMioV.gif

Just sayin', it's minor but just trying to be helpful.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Nr. 2 for sure.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, #2, Looking real good man
  • electricsheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsheep polycounter lvl 7
    A really good and well made model you've got there, however isn't 15000 tris a little too much for the low poly version? (Sorry if this has already been mentioned).
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear about the health issues.

I would say 2, 4, or 8. Bakes ran through nicely. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Loving how clean this is looking. Great job on the new UVs.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    4&8 go best with the background. You want this evilish german hightech feel which is so damn cold and harsh.
    the Helghast are heavily inspired by WW2 german tech, and the concept shows this aswell. Id go with colder tones than you have on your examples.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    2 3 4

Also if you wanted you could remove the waviness in your normal map in a few seconds like this:
    XSOMioV.gif

Just sayin', it's minor but just trying to be helpful.

It's not a fix. It's a hack. It makes your normal map look better from one angle and worse from another.

Coming along nicely.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I really like 3!! Love this prop :)
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message