Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arenanet environment art test (or it would have been)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ahktang polycounter lvl 5
Well I worked on this up until I found out that the environment role was removed from this year's internship program. So at this point it's just another portfolio piece based on that same concept art.

I'd love any crit or feedback on this!

gwhouse4.jpg

gwhouse3.jpg

gwhouse2.jpg

gwhouse1.jpg

gwhouse5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Lando_Mange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lando_Mange polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice man, Love it :D looks amazing.

Only feedback I can give you: I think the windows might gain some by being a little dirtier around the ridges and so, they look kinda clean compared to the wallswith leakings and such running down :)
    As a whole the mesh might blend more with the grassy environemtn by adding some grass and stuff where the stone connect to the ground, to avoid a kinda "razor-sharp" feel where they connect.
    Maybe some leaking on the roof from the walls too, now only the wooden pillars seam to have water-leaking down?
    Small details though man, overall it looks really nice :D
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I would still send it in, you pretty much have nothing to lose.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good, I love it. I especially like the stone base, you don't happen to have the flats for that texture? The big stones makes it look very nice.
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocks and roofs look really nice.
  • ahktang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...I especially like the stone base, you don't happen to have the flats for that texture? The big stones makes it look very nice.

Sure! for the base, I sculpted the corner section in Zbrush, and baked it down to a lowpoly modular piece for use on each corner. Then I took the baked texture maps and made them tile for the rest of the building.

To save a bit of texture space, the wood shares the same sheet as the base.

rockandwood1.jpg

Here's what the hipoly looks like in Zbrush, I didn't go super far sculpting detail. I ended up adding some of the detail later with Crazybump.

corner1.jpg
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, i really like, really amazing. But just one thing ... Your roof looks like a sheet of paper, maybe add geometry for the thickness?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Now this is effing rad. Probably the best take on the house I've seen so far.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    This is how it's done :D
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    You did a good job on those stones, and your roof tiles are enjoyable too!

If there's one major thing that lets it down its your door. In comparison to everything else its too cartoony making it appear flat and jarring.

It would really benefit from being sculpted up from scratch and getting a similar treatment that your stone and wooden beams got.

Overall I like the 3D ness of your attempt. A lot of other people have done a great job but stuck to the original silhouette to the point of having textures just slapped onto geometry. You've broken up your silhouette well with overhanging tiles and overreaching wooden beams. Also the foliage is a nice touch.

I hope that helps! =]
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Best one I have seen by far, send it anyway!!! Welldone
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellz yes Gnat! This turned out great and like others have said you might as well send it in anyway.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    This came out wicked awesome. Agree with the others, send this puppy anyway.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    Well done! Like everyone is saying, apply anyways. At the very least you'll be on their radar. :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This is a really nice piece but the moss on the roof looks a bit weird to me. It looks more like discrete blobs on mask than something that has grown organically if that makes sense? Overall it's a really nice piece however so it's a minor niggle.
  • ahktang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone for all the kind words and critiques!
    urgaffel wrote: »
    This is a really nice piece but the moss on the roof looks a bit weird to me. It looks more like discrete blobs on mask than something that has grown organically if that makes sense? Overall it's a really nice piece however so it's a minor niggle.

Thanks! I agree the roof moss looks a bit blobby. I had some difficulty using vertex alpha blending on the roof, due to how low poly that part of the model is. finding a good trade off between breaking up the materials on the roof and saving triangles is tricky.

you can see the poly distribution in my wire frame shots:

wirefront.jpg

Also, here's a couple more cryengine shots I added to my portfolio.

whitedoor.jpg

whitewindow.jpg
  • Kyuuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have anything to add for critics. I'm really loving your take on this piece! Definitely one of the best scene I've seen of this concept if not the best! I'm seconding everyone, you should send it in! :D